Anyone got any info on tst expedite?

PROCUT736

Seasoned Expediter
We are thinking about a move to tst expediting. I know they do alot of canadian runs but has anyone had a run i with these people. Let me know.... Good or bad.
Thanks.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
i) They are not an advertiser on EO, which may or may not say something in itself.. you decide

ii) They have a location on my side of the river too; I've heard different things from time to time... the following is from a Canadian perspective:
-I know one Canuck who went with them, at that time (maybe around last summer), when freight was better, he seemed to be running ok, but not making much money, he left after a short time for greener pastures..
-others we've known to leave there to go to where we were at the time, thinking the grass was greener (it wasn't, but we were wondering if the grass was greener over there.. obviously not)
-I've heard complaints about how they work their insurance premiums billed to the OOs; I've seen how they supposedly work it out, and it looks good on paper, so I'm not sure what their complaint was.. but as always, you don't really know until you see it for yourself, after it's too late..
-recently (less than a month ago) they became a member of a popular load board for carriers (I thought it odd that they weren't already a member); it lists them as having 75 vans, 95 straights, and 22 tractors.. do you want to 'share' with that many? It also says they have an air division (which could be a good or a bad thing because if something can go cheaper by LTL Air than by expedite, you will also be competing with that segment)
-I don't know about now, but 1.5 years ago they were known in the industry to deal mainly with 'auto freight'; hopefully that has changed?

It would be good to try to find some guys at truckstops or at their facilities to see if they'll talk to you so you can get 'the rest of the story' :)

If you meet with recruiter, I recomend asking for a real-life example of someone's settlement (name blacked out of course), to see how the insurance premiums are calculated.

Good luck!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
TST is a division of TransForce of Montreal...HUGE OTR carrier...
Supposedly owned by the Sapputo family...yes the same family as the cheese and the same crime family from NYC.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I don't know if this is a reflection of the company, but any drivers I have ever come across from TST have been extremely rude. On deliveries in the early morning when I have waited all night to deliver, they have often attempted to cut in line ahead of everyone else. I suspect they are encouraged to do so because I have seen this behavior many times from them. Just an observation.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They make their living crossing the border all the time..They use all the tricks to cross as much as possible to make a buck..When I crossed sometimes 2-3 times day I did it as well....you had to just to survive....yeah it was wrong....but being right didn't pay the bills....It was just business.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
They make their living crossing the border all the time..They use all the tricks to cross as much as possible to make a buck..When I crossed sometimes 2-3 times day I did it as well....you had to just to survive....yeah it was wrong....but being right didn't pay the bills....It was just business.

I thought I knew you from somewhere....

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I had a truck on with them a few years back and it did okay. TST paid all your tolls back then and could get me loaded right back out of Canada as soon a I dropped off my load. Bob and Jay Hobbs are great people. I made good money running for them single if that helps.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I talked to one of their drivers about a month back. He is a solo and says he gets a re-start on his log book about twice a week. If you do the math, he is sitting a lot...I also know they paid O/O's less than just about anyone until they raised it to $1.20 in 2008- I would be surprised if they were still there, just like TSES cut their rates in Jan. They do a lot of NLM stuff...does not sound like a healthy diet these days. Shake them all up in a bag- comes out about the same. The same day a Panther solo told me he was filing for bankruptcy...