Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You go to Detroit, on PURPOSE? :eek:

Isn't there an easier way to get there? :rolleyes:

the-adventure-of-a-lifetime.jpg

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I spent a year or 2 down south last week. Virginia, only to have it get worse (Knoxville), only to have it get much worse (New Orleans), and then it got ever so slightly better (Pensacola). I say slightly better because then I was a 300 mile deadhead to Atlanta, which is what I did.
You were in Pensacola?, on the beach area, Bushwackers, Peglegs has a downstairs band and very good, the boardwalk has tons of stuff and lots of Parking,loooooooooooooots of parking and mercy, I lived there sometime ago,,there is tons of stuff, tooooons....

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
If you want something to do near Dallas, NORTH MAIN BBQ in Euless TX...youll thank me later....it doesnt look like much but whats inside is ....

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
You were in Pensacola?, on the beach area, Bushwackers, Peglegs has a downstairs band and very good, the boardwalk has tons of stuff and lots of Parking,loooooooooooooots of parking and mercy, I lived there sometime ago,,there is tons of stuff, tooooons....

Pensacola? McGuire's Irish Pub.

NUF CED!!!!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If you want something to do near Dallas, NORTH MAIN BBQ in Euless TX...youll thank me later....it doesnt look like much but whats inside is ....

I love hunting BBQ on the road. One day REAL soon I will regret not keeping up with the good ones.

Currently in Big R's BBQ in Joplin.
It's good. Not as good as Dave's Spiced Right or Carolina Ale House's in Augusta. Or my wife's, for that matter.

But very good.
I

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The person who figures out how to replace Subway [et al] at truck stops with decent BBQ would make a killing, IMO, because drivers will pay for it. Even me, and I rarely 'eat out'.
If I knew anything about opening a restaurant, [or making good BBQ, or hiring people, or licensing...] I'd do it myself! ;)

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
The person who figures out how to replace Subway [et al] at truck stops with decent BBQ would make a killing, IMO, because drivers will pay for it. Even me, and I rarely 'eat out'.
If I knew anything about opening a restaurant, [or making good BBQ, or hiring people, or licensing...] I'd do it myself! ;)

Heck yeah!!

Don't pass Cleveland TN or Dayton TN without at least considering looking up Dave's Spiced Right. Odd name but it's AMAZING!! Pork is smoked for 20 HOURS!!! And it's the best I think I've ever had. No sauce needed. Just way good meat.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter

Now he tells me! :cool:

It was too warm to sleep in my truck and I ended up marooned at the Quality Inn on the Scenic Hwy by I-10. The nearest restaurant was 5 miles away. The nicest thing about the place was the gas station/dq across the street, overlooking the bay. I enjoyed a nice sunrise there one morning.

Edit: btw, I meant worse for freight - nothing against those cities. I never did get to see the Pensacola beachfront.

Last edited:

WanderngFool

Active Expediter

That's the best idea I've heard in years.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
T/A at exit 269 in Knoxville has "decent" BBQ - somebody with a smoker set up near the fuel island -they sell it out of the big truck fuel island desk, not the main store.. Petro in Gadsden, AL also has ok BBQ. Neither of these are what I think of as great BBQ but they're much better than typical truck stop fare for an easy grab and go lunch.

Last edited:

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
If Im stuck in Dallas I go north on the I 75 and stay up there in a Walmart, Home depot etc near the shopping and food, Richardson or south of McKinney theres just a bunch of safe and easy places to park in the shopping, eating districts, Im usually hauling Truck Parts in and out of there, but there are roofing and construction distribution down there too, years ago when I did flatbed outta there I used to stay on the loop in a closed medical buildings lot, right next door to an El Chico and a bowling alley, it was a great place for the weekend restart....