Anybody at Panther planning on buying 2014 Sprinter and looking for parttime driver?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Anybody at Panther planning on buying 2014 Sprinter and looking for parttime driv

the numbers and facts are already there, get on the sprintersource.com and do your research! :)

maybe the extended wheel base won't quite see that but the small and medium will.

I said that in the other thread....

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Anybody at Panther planning on buying 2014 Sprinter and looking for parttime driv

450k that's a lot starting to catch up to the one in UK that has over 850k... aka (mean in green)

How has everything been after the 200+K mark?

Resonators really don't bother me, there cheap to buy and like 10 min to install. Just need some basic tools...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

450k that's a lot starting to catch up to the one in UK that has over 850k... aka (mean in green)

Resonators really don't bother me, there cheap to buy and like 10 min to install. Just need some basic tools...

Resonators, belt tensioners, EGR valves, pressure hoses, and mysterious wiring failures are fairly regular occurrences after 250,000 miles. Although I've been lucky, many transmissions, engines, and rear axles have failed on most others. Engine failures are usually caused by improper engine air filter installation, allowing dirt to eat the turbo, which lunches the engine!

That said, the MPG is good comparatively...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

A lot of transmission failures are caused by low fluid, characterized by a terrible sound like driving over chatter bumps. Smart drivers stop immediately. Unfortunate drivers keep driving, which kills the trans...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I have the aluminum replacement resonator....
775,000 on mine.... 1 engine, 1 tranny so far..2 front brake jobs and 1 rear...1 front end alignment, 1 set of ball joints..2 belt tensioners and 2 pulleys.. .. Everything else is original... How's that for so called constant repairs?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

You are doing way better than the averages I've heard of! No EGR valves? No radiator, condenser, or dryer?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I'm going to be looking into this soon, I spoken briefly with a few at contractor relations (I'm sure it has already been done, as long as the wheels are moving why does it matter who's driving)... do you guys live out of your vans 365 days a year? I'm looking to learn from some of these fleet owners, there's a reason why they're not out on the road anymore, they've paid there dues or played their cards right :)

You are doing way better than the averages I've heard of! No EGR valves? No radiator, condenser, or dryer?

OVM must have the 04-06 like mine, the 2003 and previous were the ones with egr failures.

775k is quite impressive, not sure how many are out there with that mileage, I know that one in the UK is currently around 900k. That seems like excessively long life for pads and rotors last I heard 100k was the pad wear life expectancy.

What is your trick to keeping that tranny alive for that long, what mileage did the original engine and trans go out on you? fluid change intervals every 50k must be doing you good.

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

A lot of transmission failures are caused by low fluid, characterized by a terrible sound like driving over chatter bumps. Smart drivers stop immediately. Unfortunate drivers keep driving, which kills the trans...

low fluid will also cause your torque converter to overheat and burn up the seal which will cause a leak from the bell housing. I learned the hard way, dumped 12 qts of fluid from vegas to la to tulsa ok. A new TC seal fixed it though, trans still shifting smooth. I think 400k can be achieved with regular fluid changes. I'll be happy if I get 300 out of mine.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I have the aluminum replacement resonator....
775,000 on mine.... 1 engine, 1 tranny so far..2 front brake jobs and 1 rear...1 front end alignment, 1 set of ball joints..2 belt tensioners and 2 pulleys.. .. Everything else is original... How's that for so called constant repairs?

Well those first two are kinda biggies lol.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Well those first two are kinda biggies lol.

You can't expect a original transmission to last much longer then 4-500k, engine though can go much longer!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

You can't expect a original transmission to last much longer then 4-500k, engine though can go much longer!

That's just wonderful... my original transmission has 460,000 miles on it! I think the least expensive replacement is about $3,400 installed, with many in the $5-6,000 range installed. :mad:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter

Ours went at 512k.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's just wonderful... my original transmission has 460,000 miles on it! I think the least expensive replacement is about $3,400 installed, with many in the $5-6,000 range installed. :mad:
Wrong again.....A Silverstar Tranny....only about what $2500 - 2700 INSTALLED

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

Wrong again.....A Silverstar Tranny....only about what $2500 - 2700 INSTALLED[/QUOTE

Actually the quote I received from SilverStar was $2,195 PLUS the local installer they prefer quoted $995 installation PLUS TAX. Are you having trouble with Canadian math again??? Where exactly did your prices come from? I believe I will go there as my transmission is apparently about cooked. My local Splinter dealer wants "about $750" for the install but shipping the transmission makes the total more. $2500 is a deal I will take!!! Where is it???

zorry

Veteran Expediter

Funny that expeditors don't like to pay shipping.
Come on, help a brother out !

Seriously, how is the warranty and how long do those Silverstars last ?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

I believe he said the warranty was one year or 100,000 miles if properly installed. My local Splinter dealer offers a remanufactured unit through Dodge with the same warranty for $4,000 or they rebuild it themselves for $3,400 with only a 90 day warranty. I believe a few EO folks have put a SilverStar transmission in with good results? Perhaps they'll chime in? :confused:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I believe he said the warranty was one year or 100,000 miles if properly installed. My local Splinter dealer offers a remanufactured unit through Dodge with the same warranty for $4,000 or they rebuild it themselves for $3,400 with only a 90 day warranty. I believe a few EO folks have put a SilverStar transmission in with good results? Perhaps they'll chime in? :confused:
The deal...Ask Jenny....they had one installed in Knoxville...I know it was under $3K...$950 for labor? Dang your shop is expensive.....that is half an engine install....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

The deal...Ask Jenny....they had one installed in Knoxville...I know it was under $3K...$950 for labor? Dang your shop is expensive.....that is half an engine install....

The $950+ came from American Transmission right there in Oklahoma, recommended by SilverStar Transmission. I thought Jenny's was $3,300ish plus their motel bill???

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

My Silverstar was $2800 including installation labor of five hours.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Come on don t worry about the costs its only Money.......the Real issue here is. ...what religion is the Mechanic ?...and What political party does the mechanic support? ..and finally does the Mechanic perform Abortions in his shop? ......Lol......