Any Winter Time Espar Deals with installation?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For installation Batteries Plus out in the middle of nowhere Ohio is $600 now same as Espar of Michigan. Need to find someone in Laredo that can do it. :) Got a quote from these guys in Fort Collins CO for $450 best so far.

Opt Overland

For that price buy 2 it's probably a China copy!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
He will probably freeze before he gets one installed. lol

Certainly won't freeze I'll be on the west coast enjoying the sunshine. My carrier doesn't charge me fees so I'm no a slave out here, panther days are over. I don't drive the first 90 miles every week for free!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At 32 degrees it will work well at 10 degrees it will run full blast constantly, burning more fuel and wearing out parts faster. It most likely won't get your van to the 70. For a few hundred extra get the d4, you'll be happy you did.

Reactions: billg27

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
At 32 degrees it will work well at 10 degrees it will run full blast constantly, burning more fuel and wearing out parts faster. It most likely won't get your van to the 70. For a few hundred extra get the d4, you'll be happy you did.
That's the thing. A large, open van, especially if it's insulated, the D2 will work, but it'll be running full-tilt boggie most of the time. It's all about BTUs and airflow...

Airtronic BTU.png

Airtronic airflow.png

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Would you agree that a d2 would keep a well insulated 158 sprinter warm and a D4 would be better suited for a 170 extended? I think I'm going to re use (moving it from 140 to 158) my d2 in the 158 Sprinter because I'm planning to buy a 170 extended in 2017 or 2018.

Sounds like the D4 is made for Michigan Minnesota Ontario etc Winters!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My answer would be the same in either Van. When I had a d2 and it dropped well below freezing I would use heavy curtains in front of and behind my bed. That made a big difference. If I had a d2 already I would probably use it though. I never regretted for one minute upgrading to a 4.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My answer would be the same in either Van. When I had a d2 and it dropped well below freezing I would use heavy curtains in front of and behind my bed. That made a big difference. If I had a d2 already I would probably use it though. I never regretted for one minute upgrading to a 4.

Nice well I will put it to use here shortly. Are the heaters hard to remove I'm trying to take it out of a 06 140 Sprinter w/ 327k and move it to my 06 158 with 197k? Was planning on removing it myself and getting a shop to install it. Can I simply disconnect the heater and just purchase a new install kit for reinstalling the espar?
If I ever buy one new again I'll go with the d4. Selling the 140 this month. I'll officially be down to one Sprinter!

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Nice well I will put it to use here shortly. Are the heaters hard to remove I'm trying to take it out of a 06 140 Sprinter w/ 327k and move it to my 06 158 with 197k? Was planning on removing it myself and getting a shop to install it. Can I simply disconnect the heater and just purchase a new install kit for reinstalling the espar?
If I ever buy one new again I'll go with the d4. Selling the 140 this month. I'll officially be down to one Sprinter!
After you de-install the unit, you will have to cover over a 4" hole that was drilled out to install the Espar.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's pretty easy to remove it all. Get underneath and disconnect the hoses first. You can take the fuel line and all just use something to pinch off the fuel line coming out of your fuel tank. You probably won't even need an install kit.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sweet if Espar of Michigan can do the job for $600 they may have some work coming their way! :happy:
Looking for a load up from Tx. Not sure what I'm getting myself into but I'll find out when that Canadian chill hits me.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah booking a room for the short stay or heading to GR to stay with friend, or I suppose once they get that d2 installed I can sleep in the van... NOT in 0 degree weather been there done that! :D I can dive pretty fast from the driver seat to the bed in the rear to jump back in the sleeping bag.

This place here was suggested by a Sprinter Expediter. They install espar heaters.

Northern Mobile Electric | Alternators, Starters, Generators, Batteries, Pressure Washers

Last edited: