Any other former smokers here?

HighwayRover

Seasoned Expediter
I was a 4 pack a day habit for many years and quit cold turkey. For about 10 years there wasn't a day that went by that I didn't think about smoking. After 10 years I started coughing up black stuff from my lungs and slowly regained their capacity. Now (25 years later) I still haven't had a cigarette and don't even think about it. Doctors all say I have healthy lungs.
Don't ever start but if you do, quit and stick to it. It'll be the best thing you ever did for yourself.

Today you could save a lot of money by quitting as well. I couldn't afford to smoke now if I wanted to.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
4 packs a day? Isn't that lighting one off the previous one, non-stop?
4 packs is pretty insane. But I used to do at least 3. My favorite time of the day was the morning where I'd get work done on the computer over my morning coffee and fill an ashtray with butts without even realizing how much I was smoking.

I've racked my brain over this in the last few weeks and I've come up with this:

Like someone said. "I've won" And I'd be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and that's a hideously ugly thing to do to yourself.

Like other people have said. When you smoke you have trouble breathing. I'm pushing 60 and due to my not smoking for 8 years I can draw a deep breath without coughing. Obviously I'm taking that for granted. Smoking robs you of your ability to even draw a breath!

There are pluses for smoking though. I'm sure I have add or adhd or whatever they call it these days. Smoking used to help me hold a thought in my head for a long time and do something useful with it. I've had trouble with that ever since I quit. Just today I had a horrible time trying to generate a cut-list for some paneling. Easy stuff to do and yet not so easy when it dances around in your head. I know we live in a black and white world where we're supposed to think of things as either good or evil but that's not the way it really is. Real life is grey. Nothing is pure black and nothing is pure white. The argument against smoking is powerful and righteous but...

Last edited:

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Well I caved and I've been smoking some e-cigs for the last few weeks. But they're messing with my throat a little and I've been headachy for the last few days. Yesterday I didn't do any until after lunch and I honestly felt better in the morning than I did later in the day. I haven't done any so far today.

But having said that if I was still smoking I'd switch to these in a heartbeat. I tried a few different brands - N-Joy (not bad) Blu (pretty good) Mistic (harsh but with a throat hit like a real cig) Seminole (mild but they're my favorite - especially the "Trinidads") As a way to quit cigs I think they're the best tool out there. And if you get serious, you can buy hardware that's refillable and get the cost down to around $1 per cartridge (they tell you a cartridge equals a pack of smokes but 2/3 pack might be more accurate).

I'm home today and an order of Seminoles arrived while I was gone and I'm leaning towards calling them tomorrow and getting an RMA # and returning them. On the other hand I got some flavors I haven't tried yet like "Tribe" which are fruit flavored and might be as good as the Trinidads. :) Just kidding. I've had my little experiment and I'm prioritizing feeling good and my crappy ability to concentrate might be an asset anyway since I drive for a living and keeping the mind and eyes moving is a good thing.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I quit back in '91, then with a little help from my cousin I started again two years later. I quit again in '01 for a short period, then another temporary pause last winter when I got cold and I couldn't stand the smell of it anymore. Unfortunately, three weeks later, when I went back in service, driving all night long and knowing that I have some smokes left in my van, I automatically reached for them and here we go again. The good thing is, if I can say so, when I'm home I smoke way less than when I drive or wait in a truck stop.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Here's a few things that helped me quit 18 years ago.
First, you must realize that this could be the most important thing you do in your entire life. This is very serious business. It could mean the difference in a painful early death and a long and happy retirement.
Use what ever it takes to ease the urge. I had every aid known to mankind, but the thing that worked for me was dougnuts. Sure, I put on about 30 lbs but that doesn't matter. Quitting is the most important thing. You may also rattle a few friendships as you will probably will be very irritable at times. These are things that can be repaired after you quit.
You probably know people who quit. Pick out the biggest fool amongst them and say, "If that idiot can quit; so can I".
Don't BS your self! The next time you decide to quit, convince yourself this is the last time you will ever try. Just about everyone that tries to quit, has a little sucess and think they have proven they can quit whenever the want so they'll go back to smoking, thinking they will quit for good in a month or two.
Don't listen to people who say they enjoy smoking so they are not going to quit. Today everyone knows the dangers in smoking and would quit if they could.
Don't forget, if you smoke, your second hand smoke is a danger to those you love, like a spouse or grandchild.
You have to be tough. Prove you have what it takes.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I musta quit maybe 6x before I heard my uncle quit.He is one stubborn sob & I figured if he quit so could I.I was getting the where I hated the smell & always smoked in the car w/windows down (so it wouldn't stink) and thought I'd give it one last try.So my plan was to start chain smoking on the way to work,make myself sick & maybe it would help me quit.It worked about halfway to work lighting the next one from the previous one I got sick & tired of them & pulled the 1/2 pack out of my pocket,crumpled them up & threw them out the window & that's been it for 25+ yrs.
I did get kidney cancer 5 yrs ago & the dr blamed it on smoking.
So if u wanna live u gotta quit

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
The last time I quit I locked myself in a room and didn't leave until I was a non-smoker. That's not really much of an exaggeration. I was self employed and we were entering the off season and didn't have a job lined up. I had dusted off my favorite computer game of all time and I thought banging out a few games would be fun so I stocked up on food and beverage and pretty much locked myself in my computer room for 2 weeks. Well truth be told, I planned for 2 weeks but I was ready to emerge after 8 or 10 days as a non smoker. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Oh and I kicked some major Masters Of Orion Azz!!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The last time I quit I locked myself in a room and didn't leave until I was a non-smoker. That's not really much of an exaggeration. I was self employed and we were entering the off season and didn't have a job lined up. I had dusted off my favorite computer game of all time and I thought banging out a few games would be fun so I stocked up on food and beverage and pretty much locked myself in my computer room for 2 weeks. Well truth be told, I planned for 2 weeks but I was ready to emerge after 8 or 10 days as a non smoker. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Oh and I kicked some major Masters Of Orion Azz!!!

Played that before. I'd have to say my all time fav is Baldur's Gate.

Quit 3 years ago, using the patch. In fact, I quit twice using the patch. Still get the urges. I tell myself, "Look how long it took you to get over it; and you want to do what?!?" It's still like missing an old friend... but one who caused nothing but trouble for me. Sayonara!

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
I have been doing the vapor cigarette for several weeks now and it has helped tremendously in my efforts to quit smoking.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app