Any other former smokers here?

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I quit June/2005 and I suddenly I want a cigarette, bad. I even bought an ecig the other day and hit it a few times before tossing it out the window.

Many years ago they used to prescribe cigarettes for anxiety. I think it's the anxiety (pronounced road-rage) of being a truck driver in this day and age that's getting to me. I could do a whole mess 'o Marlboro Lights right now.

And you? How are you making out?

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I quit smoking in 06 and I get strong urges to smoke at random times.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't do it. You won a long time ago! Unless you already do, incorporate some exercise into your daily routine. That will make you feel better physically and help fight those urges. You do not have to workout for hours. Simply doing a lap around the truck stop parking lot every time you take a walk to the store or bathroom will quickly add up to a mile or so per day. Next, you will find that you skip that candy or hotdog every time you go inside the store, and before you know it, you feel better, you loose weight , become healthier and start really hating the smell of cigarettes! (sorry smokers)
I quit June/2005 and I suddenly I want a cigarette, bad. I even bought an ecig the other day and hit it a few times before tossing it out the window.

Many years ago they used to prescribe cigarettes for anxiety. I think it's the anxiety (pronounced road-rage) of being a truck driver in this day and age that's getting to me. I could do a whole mess 'o Marlboro Lights right now.

And you? How are you making out?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't do it. You won a long time ago! Unless you already do, incorporate some exercise into your daily routine. That will make you feel better physically and help fight those urges. You do not have to workout for hours. Simply doing a lap around the truck stop parking lot every time you take a walk to the store or bathroom will quickly add up to a mile or so per day. Next, you will find that you skip that candy or hotdog every time you go inside the store, and before you know it, you feel better, you loose weight , become healthier and start really hating the smell of cigarettes! (sorry smokers)

Since I do a lot of Walmarts....and park far away from the doors....I have a Pedometer App on my phone...a few laps around the store at least once a day...sometimes twice...on a nice day around the parking lot....usually get about 4-5 miles a week in....losing about 1-2 lbs a week since quitting smoking...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Unless you already do, incorporate some exercise into your daily routine. That will make you feel better physically and help fight those urges. You do not have to workout for hours. Simply doing a lap around the truck stop parking lot every time you take a walk to the store or bathroom will quickly add up to a mile or so per day. Next, you will find that you skip that candy or hotdog every time you go inside the store, and before you know it, you feel better, you loose weight , become healthier and start really hating the smell of cigarettes! (sorry smokers)

Amen to that! Working out is self-reinforcing. The more you do, the more you feel like doing it again, because it feels good to feel good.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Quit back in 05 just could not breathe anymore...never have any desire to start again..the price of cigarettes now reinforces my idea to never start again..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Quit back in 05 just could not breathe anymore...never have any desire to start again..the price of cigarettes now reinforces my idea to never start again..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Having a health issue can be a strong reinforcement that people who quit just to quit or due to cost don't have. I quit after 9 years because the girl I was dating back then didn't like smoking, she is my wife today so I guess it worked out well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
I quit in 2006. Smoked 3 packs a day. Couldn't breath anymore either. But I don't miss them. I do get a good whiff of them and like the smell though

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I quit August 1995 good thing too I met my wife a couple weeks later and she never smoked.
Even now I have my times where I am stressed beyond all reason and aching for a pack of Marlboros or Camels.
My peice of advice is let yourself get ****ed off on occasion.

Bob Wolf

Archer

Active Expediter
Dec 10, 2001 I can't stand the smell of them, but still catch myself reaching for my shirt pocket.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bob quit several years before me and he had a much easier time. Both of us were heavy smokers and I was up to 3 packs a day. I quit in 1998 and at times I felt it was a life or death battle and I will NEVER go through that again.

I am petrified of inhaling anything for fear I will immediatly renew my addiction. OVM I wish you luck with your continued weight loss. Mine continued for approximately a year until my nervous energy wore off and I became accustomed to being a non-smoker. Then I realized how good food really does taste and the rest in history now I have a new battle.

I also after all these years reach for a cigarette every now and again, I then reach for a piece of gum which I have not been able to give up.

I enjoy the smell of many cigarettes while they are being smoked. As soon as the cigarette is distinguished the smell is awful and the stale smell is awful. I came from a houseful of smokers and had no clue of how bad this could smell and now I know why my kids complained.... Lucky for Bob and I and our girls they both hated the smell so much they never started!

Don't give in or you will have to do battle again.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had quit for almost a year about 20 yrs ago and had experienced the weight gain...this time I was on top of it... It sure is nice to buy my clothes without the size surcharge....LOL...I too like the smell of a cigarette being smoked...and the 2nd reason it just re enforces one of the reasons why I quit...

BTW..I am NOT one of them quitter NAGS...I don't go around giving everyone lectures...

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Quit last Dec 11th. Down to my last smoke and my little woman talked me into checking out the electronic cigarettes in this local store. Had been talking about quitting for several months. Tired of not being able to breathe and my mouth tasting awful when I'd wake up and light the 1st one. Oddly I HAD to have that first morning smoke but at the same time hated it. And so not really planning to quit that particular afternoon, but having been talking about it and being encouraged to try, I did anyways. Smoked the last one in the pack and we walked in the store bought an e-cig. Never looked back. The smell does drive me crazy and bring back the urge but I'm resolute to never smoke again. Going to toss e-cig soon, still hitting on it..

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk 2

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OVM I wish you luck with your continued weight loss. . .

I think I found his weight loss. I have put on 55 Lbs since I quit. My doctor says not to worry, it will be easier to lose the weight than cure cancer.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I found his weight loss. I have put on 55 Lbs since I quit. My doctor says not to worry, it will be easier to lose the weight than cure cancer.

3 years ago was 322lbs...
290 October after heart attack...quit smoking and now 264lbs.....and the first couple months
was really grumpy..ask anyone that knows me....

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I started smoking at age 11 (unattended cigarette dispensing machines) and I was up to two packs a day when I quit.

I quit back in March or April this year, relapsed in May and had two packs over a 48 hour period ... since then nada ...

I still get intense cravings to have a cigarette though.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Started smoking "Late"..........At 24 years of age..........AFTER the Military where I could run 2 Miles in a little over 9 1/2 Minutes.

I "Dipped" back then though................

At 24, started dating a Girl that Smoked......She hated my Dipping, so I was like........OK......and started smoking her Cigarettes to pyss her off.........

Well...........that lasted almost 25 years.(The Smoking......NOT the Girlfriend :) ) Was a heavy smoker for years.........Pack - Pack & 1/2 a day. Cut back 5-6 years ago to about a pack a day.........last 2-3 years a Pack was lasting at least 2 days.

Starting last Thanksgiving I was having this Toothache every now and then. Tooth had gotten looser and looser.......blamed it on Moms Homemade Peanut Brittle. In February, Tooth had started ACHING real bad on like a Wednesday / Thursday. I was Tylenoling it - Anbelsoling it up until Sunday night when I sneezed real hard which made me clinch down on that tooth. Felt like somebody had put a Shotgun up to my Jaw and Pulled the Trigger!!! Monday morning I was sitting at my Dentist Office at 8AM for an Emergency Visit. After Exam..........Turned out whatever caused the Tooth to come loose also caused an Infection that went down my Lower Jaw.....Nasal Passage Ways down my throat.........and Ear Canal on my right side. Was put on a STRONG anti-biotic for 10 - 15 days. So Strong it triggered a bout of Irritable Bowl Syndrome (IBS).......of which I had to Counter-Act with Pro-Biotics to get the 12 times a day sitting on the Toilet under control.

Dentist couldn't say what caused the Tooth to come loose, but he did say that my Smoking.......the Nicotine and Chemicals in Cigarettes AGGRAVATED the Infection bad..........and I was LUCKY it didn't make it down into my Heart...........

Long Story short...........Tooth is GONE. He had to pull it.........there was NO saving it. It was a back tooth....so No Biggie. I did some research on Tooth Loss & Smoking. Read somewhere that an Average Smoker loses 8 Teeth over their Lifetime due to Smoking..........That morning I went to have that Tooth Pulled I was standing in my Garage SMOKING before I left. After the 2 Hour Treatment removing that tooth.........AND.........Repairing the Tooth next to it with a 1/2 Renal Crown........and the Pain I went through for 2-3 Days afterwards.........that Cigarette I smoked that morning BEFORE the Dentist Appointment WAS the LAST Cigarette I will have ever smoked in my Life.

Cold Turkey WAS flat out Hell the first few weeks...........but here it is 5 Months Later and the Difference is Extraordinary. I totally forgot how it Felt to breath in Deep and actually feel your Lungs fill up with air. How it Felt to YAWN Deeply. To have a Good Deep Breathing Laugh. To not get a little Winded walking UP a stairwell.............and so on. I didn't use a "Crutch"........Patch - Gum - Etc as many have.............Flat Out Cold Turkey.

Will I preach to others............NAH..............But I do now HATE the Smell of Cigarette Smoke......and Hate that I annoyed people over the Years with the Smell I used to make them put up with.