Any one doing Winders 10?

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Funny how I even got onto WIN10, of course I long ago opted in for the update from WIN7, when the time cam I kept postponing the actual update as I didn't want to interrupt work OR having something go wrong and end up bricked. Woke up one morning and it was installed AND waiting for me to answer the questions you always get when installing an OS, I guess MS decided I needed it or something, BECAUSE I know I hadn't said OK for the install yet.

TS

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Funny how I even got onto WIN10, of course I long ago opted in for the update from WIN7, when the time cam I kept postponing the actual update as I didn't want to interrupt work OR having something go wrong and end up bricked. Woke up one morning and it was installed AND waiting for me to answer the questions you always get when installing an OS, I guess MS decided I needed it or something, BECAUSE I know I hadn't said OK for the install yet.

TS

Wow. Haven't had that happen yet other than I know it is sitting there.

Reactions: TruckingSurv

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I looked into mine yesterday. Looks like win10 tried to install at least a half dozen times but each time it show install failed. That's fine with me. Not really ready for it yet. I do know that I read just recently the reason MS did this with win10 is they didn't want another winXP episode happening.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was curious of any thoughts good or bad on 10? Currently on Windows 7
We have 5 Windows 7 machines here in the office plus 2 laptops and did the upgrade one at a time, expecting some problems but experiencing none.

Never ever had a problem with Win 7 being unstable.

Bottom line, we upgraded because we could. BUT . . . probably would not have otherwise.

All the staff here rarely have any need for the new Start menu and the live tiles.

BTW: You will lose any screen widgets because of the upgrade. If you miss them, you can find a few of the more popular widgets by downloading a zipped file called "Desktop Gadgets."

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Did the upgrade and seems to be working well. Only complaint is the Cortana is irritating so I shut that off along with the wifi sharing. If one is into the Microsoft games, they change and eliminate the chess game if you are into that. Seems to be a little faster but seems ok.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was just thinking last night about messaging you to see if you'd done the upgrade. Weird.

I use a Local login instead of the Microsoft Account login, which by default eliminated Cortana and a few other things. You can still use the Local login with the apps in the Windows Store, though. Install Windows 10 Store Apps Without Switching to a Microsoft Account

If you use the Microsoft Account to log into Windows, you can't use the PIN to logon unless you are connected to the Internet. When you tether like I do, you can't connect to the Internet until you logon to Windows. Catch-22. You'll have to enter your Windows Account password to log on to Windows every time. My Microsoft Account password is un-rememberable, and my Local logon to Windows is no password at all. So, I keep the Local logon and use the above linked method to still use some of the apps.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I was just thinking last night about messaging you to see if you'd done the upgrade. Weird.

I use a Local login instead of the Microsoft Account login, which by default eliminated Cortana and a few other things. You can still use the Local login with the apps in the Windows Store, though. Install Windows 10 Store Apps Without Switching to a Microsoft Account

If you use the Microsoft Account to log into Windows, you can't use the PIN to logon unless you are connected to the Internet. When you tether like I do, you can't connect to the Internet until you logon to Windows. Catch-22. You'll have to enter your Windows Account password to log on to Windows every time. My Microsoft Account password is un-rememberable, and my Local logon to Windows is no password at all. So, I keep the Local logon and use the above linked method to still use some of the apps.

Pretty strange you were thinking that. But, so far so good. Didn't realize that on the log in since I use the pin. Do have the Microsoft account so I can get at it that way if necessary. Always have wifi here so never thought about that.
Thanks for the tip. We are prepared. Have to be with Microsoft Wedge.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Right on the heels of your Winders 10 upgrade comes the Big November Update that updates Windows 10, except it's not an update (the weekly annoyances), it's a full-blown upgrade (the 2-3 times yearly major refreshes). You can see the Windows version by right-clicking the Start Menu and selecting Command Prompt, then type in winver. You can also go to Windows Explorer | File | Help | About Windows. A window will pop up telling you the Version and Build number, like Version 10 (Build 10240).

Windows-10-Version.jpg

If you do the Upgrade, it'll be upgraded to:

AboutWindows.PNG

The 1511 designation means it was released in November (11) in 2015 (15). Now you know.

From Microsoft: “If it’s been less than 31 days since you upgraded to Windows 10, you won’t get the November update right away; this will allow you to go back to your previous version of Windows if you choose. After the 31 days have passed, your PC will automatically download the November update.”

If you want to force the upgrade, use the Media Creation Tool. (scroll down and click the blue "Download tool now" button. It's intuitive and easy, but if you want more pictures you can follow the steps here. You want to "Upgrade this PC now" and "leave your files and installed apps" right where they are.

A lot of people (well, not that many, but it's a relative term) have reported the same 44% bug, where the installation will stop at 44%, tell you that it can't upgrade some components, and then restore the OS to the previous state where you can then restart the upgrade. This happens if you have an SD card clot with an SD card inserted (for most people) or if you have several USB devices, like external hard drives, (or possibly a tethered smartphone with a microSD card in it) connected to the computer (like me). I ended up disconnecting everything except the power cord and the upgrade went smoothly. Once you've downloaded the installation files and the updates that it will go and get, you don't even need the internet connection to do the upgrade.

It'll take about 30-45 minutes, give or take. Wasn't as long as upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but it's close.

This is a pretty good overview of the new and improved features. And here's some of the lesser know but important new features. One of them is the new Automatic Time Zone feature, which automatically changes your Time Zone when you do. On a laptop it'll get this information from cell towers (if tethered) or from WiFi. This can be a problem for expediters and other truckers who need consistent timestamps on the computer, so you may want to turn that feature off.

Another new feature that some will be glad about, some will hate, some won't notice, and most will just be confused about, it the "default printer" is automatically set to the last printer device you used. If you routinely "print" to several different printers, like a printer, a fax, a PDF file, etc., Start | Settings | Devices | Printers and Scanners gets you to that setting - Let Windows manage my default printer.

All in all, the improvements are worth the upgrade.