davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Was curious of any thoughts good or bad on 10? Currently on Windows 7

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am using windows 10. No issues as of yet. I've been using it since August, I believe.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not a big fan of the new browser that comes with it, I think it is called Windows Edge.
I still use Chrome and Firefox for browsers.

Reactions: neilblack

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I upgraded from 8.1 to 10, not sure how it compares to Windows 7.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was on 7, went to 10. I liked 7; just wanted to get the free upgrade. 'Bout wide as long, IMHO...

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
10 has some nice features built in. One of them I use the most is the virtual drive. If you click on a .iso image file of a CD or DVD on your hard drive, it will open the contents of that image file into a drive. You can use it the same as if you had that CD or DVD in your optical drive.

One thing I don't like is the fact that there is no way to disable auto updates. I wouldn't mind it telling me that there are updates available, but let me decide if I want to download and install them, like 7 did.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One thing I don't like is the fact that there is no way to disable auto updates. I wouldn't mind it telling me that there are updates available, but let me decide if I want to download and install them, like 7 did.
That right there pisses me off to no end. Well, not you, not that you don't like it, but that it goes ahead and downloads the updates, and goes ahead and installs them, whether I like it or not. I tether my smartphone for Internet, so when it downloads just a snotload of MBs of updates using my phone's data, it just puts me one step closer to getting flagged for abusing the grandfathered unlimited data that I still have. And unlike a regular Ethernet or dialup connection, there's no way to tell it my connection is a metered connection, so it won't download the updates.

Other than that, I do like Windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 with the free upgrade. It's faster and a little more stable than Windows 7. It took a few Start Menu tweaks, and getting rid of all of the live desktop "Tiles" in the Start Menu (again, cellphone tethered, so I don't want to use cell data like crazy), and whittled it down to a relative normal Start Menu. Added a Start Menu to the Control Panel, since getting to that is a PITA.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good to know about the no control updates, and live screen stuff. I also use my phone for a hotspot when I can't get wifi. I've been happy with 7, I guess I stick with it for now. Who knows what else is included in this "Free" update

Reactions: neilblack

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally I like 10 a lot better seems faster....TV streaming works better with a weaker signal....
The windows Edge formally known as IE seem better as well....quicker and not so flakey.....JuJU uses it almost exclusively for all our business dealings...

Reactions: davekc

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If I decide to do it, does it take a long time with a decent connection. Using Comcast. I think much is already on the computer with the constant updates.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't remember how long it takes to download, but, you could start the download at bedtime and it'll be there next morning.
It seems like it took 30- 60 minutes, but I can't be sure.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you previously agreed to do the upgrade, most or all of it is probably already downloaded to your computer. If not, you can go in there and force it to go ahead and finish the download. That doesn't take long at all.

The upgrade itself took about an hour on my laptop, which is a mid to low-mid speed laptop, although I do have an SSD which probably sped things up. I had planned 3-4 hours so was pleasantly surprised.

My only real gripes about Windows 10 are the forced downloading and installing of the updates (although it all takes place in the background, so it's the definition of no-brainer eaay), and so many of the Control Panel things are more difficult to quickly and easily get to. Just requires some tweaks is all. The tips and tricks for tweaks are easily found on the net.

I don't think you'll regret upgrading. It is more stable, and faster.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ok. Very good information. Just wanted to make sure it didn't screw with other applications that are window based like office, exel, files or photos. That kind of thing.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Amazingly, everything went smoothly. The only glitch I've found is Adobe Acrobat will no longer print to the Adobe PDF printer. I have to either "print to file" or "print as image" and it'll work. It's an issue that many others have had for years, so it's clearly not Windows 10 specific. I just never had the issue before, and apparently Adobe can't figure out a fix. But there were no applications (or apps, as the kids call them these days) that have had any problems, no popups that said this or that needs to be upgraded, nothing like that.

Frankly, it's pretty astonishing how smoothly it all went. And error handling is much better, where Windows knows how to fix problem on its own. I'm tempted to give Microsoft an "atta boy" for it, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
The only glitch I've found is Adobe Acrobat

It might be because WIN10 comes with it's own PDF printer that is now installed, I have AcroBat Pro and it still works, ALTHOUGH I might of had to make that the default AFTER the upgrade?

Overall WIN10 seems OK and most importantly it didn't break much during the install, in fact older printers I feared wouldn't work still work fine. I do have some old apps written in the XP or previous era that won't run, BUT they didn't work on WIN7 64 either. NO XP mode for WIN10, still working on a fix for that, it turns out you can install XP via Hyper-V if your hardware and version of WIN10 supports it. I installed yesterday and it works, I just haven't figured out the integration with the host (WIN10) yet for moving data back and forth.

I do NOT like the new browser, so un-defaulted that, I have a software that writes HTML files that it won't open, probably written to an older IE version standards. Also despite the claims for faster, etc., it seems slower, not many features and it won't support Microsoft Silverlight which a lot of web sites still use, it may be more secure and modern, but without backward compatibility it isn't ready for prime time. Out of IE, EDGE and Chrome, Chrome seems to still be my favorite for speed and ease of use, BUT still need to use IE for some things.

Haven't migrated to the built in e-mail app within WIN10.

Quite a few things I haven't figured out how to tweak yet either, maybe over time, for now it works and I am being more or less productive with WIN10, wasn't a disaster, but wasn't earth shattering improvements that I can see over WIN7 either.

TS

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you update be sure to Google windows 10 fixes. It does some wacky things. Microsoft nicely decided to use windows 10 users bandwidth to update other users systems. It supposedly will not do it on things like phone connections be will on home broadband. How nice of them to try to limit what they pay for data use. This can be shut off but your going to have to Google and read how to do it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good information. I'm going to look at some of the trick & tips and see if I see anything that I will need. Like you, I would say I use chrome much more than exploder.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you update be sure to Google windows 10 fixes. It does some wacky things. Microsoft nicely decided to use windows 10 users bandwidth to update other users systems. It supposedly will not do it on things like phone connections be will on home broadband. How nice of them to try to limit what they pay for data use. This can be shut off but your going to have to Google and read how to do it.

I forgot about that. I think I seen something on Kim Kammando's sight about that.

Good description here. How to stop Windows 10 from using your PC's bandwidth to update strangers' systems

Last edited:
Reactions: TruckingSurv

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It might be because WIN10 comes with it's own PDF printer that is now installed
Possibly, but the exact same issue (Error: no pages selected to print) crops up on message boards long before Windows 8 was even released. Depending on how I'm printing (a Web page from Chrome or printing an actual PDF XML file to another PDF file so I can add pages to it) the Microsoft PDF Printer won't work, either. I have to Print to Image or Save as PDF, instead.

I use Chrome and haven't used MSIE or Edge at all. Haven't even tried them yet. I do know that Silverlight is still supported in MSIE 11, just not Edge. Neither is ActiveX Controls supported in Edge. Everything is moving to HTML 5.

The Tweaks are something you should Google for. Some of them, like the P2P updates like ziggi mentioned, is one you probably want to turn off and only have on for your home network.

Reactions: TruckingSurv