any advice?

richobe

Expert Expediter
I am an owner/operator of a straight truck now leased to a large company out of Green Ohio. I won't mention the name. I have not been with them that long. In the past couple of weeks the loads have been OK, but as soon as the weekend shows up I end up sitting for over forty eight hours in some truck stop or rest area. I ask for status reports and see trucks coming and going, but I sit until some time Monday. I'm a solo truck and I guess that hurts. I am also on flat rate. I've learned that the truck designation DA stands for Dumb A**. What I would like to know is this company so big with so many trucks that this is the norm? I live in the South east around the Myrtle Beach area and was wondering if there was any smaller compaines that handle frieght from say Virgina to Florida and Georgia. Maybe even have dedicated routes? I'm not looking to make a killing in the expediting business, just make a living. I've alway's valued your advice. Thanks for listening to the rants of a tired man sitting outside of Atlanta.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Sitting on the weekend is normal especially with you being a solo, you wouldn't have the hours for the long weekend runs.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are a straight truck team and we have not had loads on most weekends this year. It has been a strange year for us in that regard. Many truck you may see as "dispatched" are not going to be picking up until Monday. We are in the Atlanta area and have a Monday afternoon load. Send me a PM if you need further help. Don't know much about solo operations but will try to help in any way I can.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
We are a team D unit leased on with a large carrier out of Green, OH also :D, sometimes I go out and do the solo thing.

What has been my experience when I am a solo, is that that's the ONLY time that you will get a longer than 500 mile offer sent to you, as you have more time to get it there.

That being said, I am surprised that being a "flat rate" truck that you are not getting more offers than you are.I was under the impression that the "flat rate" trucks have their own "dedicated" dispatch system that does not abide by dwell time restrictions. (not that they have ever followed that rule anyways).

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I've been running solo as a flat rate D truck for 3 weeks now.
7585 paid miles in the last 23 days.
I've had 4 weekend runs. 1106 miles, 1670 miles, 1002 miles and 632 miles.
Does your dispatcher know you want to do the long runs and that you are capable of doing them and managing your clock?

richobe

Expert Expediter
Dispatchers

I really don't know what my dispatchers know. It seems that the weekday system works great, but when the weekend team takes over the whole changes.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Does your dispatcher know you want to do the long runs and that you are capable of doing them and managing your clock?

It seems kinda' silly that he would have to let them know that he wants to do the longer runs, and it's not like the person he tells is gonna pass that info along. Also, even if they made a note in their computer system that he did want to do the longer runs, they would have to ACTUALLY read that and the chances of that are slim to none.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: Dispatchers

I really don't know what my dispatchers know. It seems that the weekday system works great, but when the weekend team takes over the whole changes.

Far more businesses are closed on the weekends, therefor, less freight moves. Most, not all, freight that moves on weekends will run over the weekend with Friday pick ups and Monday deliveries. At least that has been the case for us since we have been in this business.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Flat rate trucks have an assigned dispatcher that you work with everyday. You can develop a rapport with them.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What I would like to know is this company so big with so many trucks that this is the norm?

Yeppers it is the norm.

Just because it is a big company, does not mean they are efficient or actually care to move most of their fleet to produce revenue.