Any Advice would be appreciated

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
Hi All,

I have been driving Class A for 25 years+, in state only, home every night.... Kids are now raised, and my wife and I want to get into expediting. I will have to drive solo, wife has bad vision in one eye and has to drive intrastate only. I would appreciate any advice that anyone can give to us. We have downsized our lifestyle and cut our personal costs as much as possible. We are researching health insurance costs (this one I'm sure will hurt) and are doing as much research as possible as to what company to start with. First one we have contacted is Fedex. I have been reading that loads are down and money not so good now. Pros and Cons will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

miker

Seasoned Expediter
if you still have your current in state job,stick with it, this is just not the time to change, loads are way down and so are rates. coming out here with no health ins. and as a solo will be very very difficult, teams are becoming the preferred these days and usually going to get the bulk of loads even if it's fit for a solo. seriously seriously hold off for a while if you currently have a job,most people in expediting would trade you in a minute.

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
I will take all advice to heart. We think that it will be at least 6 months before we are actually ready to go. I hope to see a change or a start of a change by then. We just don't want to wait too long to get started. We need to net at least $50k a year, is this possible now?

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
I'm new to this, hope asking a direct question about money is not a no no... I'm just a up front kind of person and of course would not expect anyone to talk about there personal income, I'm just asking for general answers. I guess we were just hoping that we could still do it in these slow times..... And as with any new business venture, the bottom line counts. Not looking to strike gold, just to make some living money, and see some of the Great USA!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
As direct answer to money concerns, if you have pared back your lifestyle, and still "need" 50K a year, i'd suggest you go back to cook'in the books for a while. 50K is certainly doable depending on how you start(equipment costs etc.). I might ask, with the smorgusboard of carriers out there, why Fedex first?? You may be better off, depending where you chose to reside, finding a dedicated intrastate gig for you and your wife.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
$50k - no way.

FedEx - as suggested, I would look around. FedEx may kill you or they may be great for you but don't fall for the idea that they care about you - they are a business and a good one at that.

The bottom line is that 6 months this may get a lot worst, we haven't seen the worst of the economy drop, commercial real state and other hard asset debts are coming due in the fall through next spring and that will hit us hard if one of these large companies can't refinance their debt.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Pros:
1) You are doing your research.
2) Kids are grown.
3) Wife can go with you.
4) Personal expenses cut back.
Cons:
1) Solo - Your research will make that clear.
2) Need for $50K - 50K for a goal is great but as a
necessity it is a concern.
3) Need for Health insurance.

In my opinion, a solo driver with a "need" for $50K is just too risky without a healthy capital reserve in place.
If you are making your 50K with a "Home every night" job, then you are making alot of people here jealous.

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
Anyways, we are looking to drive for a fleet owner for at least a year. This should hopefully keep our costs to a minimum. We had met a driver that is thinking about retiring soon, he is a solo driver, and was interested in selling us his truck, for a good price, but we are unable to because the truck is too old, and they will not let me just take over basically his spot...For a new driver we have to purchase a truck no more than 5 years old... so now we have to try and find a fleet owner instead of us purchasing his truck... So we now have to rethink things.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
IF, you didn't have fedex stuck in your craw, the older truck wouldn't be a problem if it's in good condition. IF, you have to invest more and get yourself on the grindstone, expediting/touring, may not be as appealing to you IF you HAVE to stand up to the plate and hit the ball. It is difficult to really understand what agendas a person has with a couple questions like this. Don't know if ya wanna semi retire, retire and travel,or, actually WORK.

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
Retirement, what is that? Well, wife and I had it all planned, get the kids raised, sell the home, take the profit and purchase a truck, go otr together and make a living... Well, like a lot of things today, profit didn't work out do to housing market, so we are now trying to search out other options to still be able to do what we have always wanted to do. We just have to make informed decisions, and thank all for their input. We are not really set on Fedex, it is just that we came across the truck, newer engine, good shape, still on road with Fedex now.... We are open to all options, that is why I am writing on the newbie section.... Advise is very important. Thanks!

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I dont know for sure but I think that if the truck is inn good shape and can pass an inspection at one of fed ex approved mechanics, then they would probably give you a pass, again I could be wrong, but I have heard this happening before

XTeam

Seasoned Expediter
Hi!
A year ago expedite trucking was fun. We have traveled the country and have had alot of adventures. You know what has happened to many businesses in the past year. Trucking has been greatly been affected and I don't think that it has even hit bottom yet. The pay and available jobs are slim. At another time in the future, I would reccomend expedite trucking as a team but not in the current economic climate. I absolutely would not buy a truck. Not now. Find a local truck driving job and downsize at home. When things get better ,which could be a while and you have done your research, then you can safely jump in. This business has been changing by the month and not for the better. My opinion only.... Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here is the thing, if you have T/T experience, especially local driving, use it. Get yourself into a tractor and drive for one of the majors or even FedEx Ground or Supply Chain.

The expediting thing is not going to improve anytime soon, and what many of us hope to see was a real shake up but we haven't yet and we are stuck with more people getting into this and getting burned in the process.

I understand the entire retirement thing but you can do a lot more with a tractor right now than you can with any straight truck. If I had the "A", I would give the straight truck up in a second, get a cheap tractor and haul a trailer around.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Just my two cents worth. I am in agreement with most of the suggestions you have received and will add mine.

1. This is not the time to start new in this business there is no room in the learning curve right now, one mistake could put you in dire straights and the way the business is running, it could easily be your demise.

2. I always suggest that anyone who wants to go into this business start by driving for someone else because if you don't like it and have bought a truck you are now stick.

3. You stated you want to start in about 6 months, this is also something I try to discourage people from doing. You will be starting at a time when the business is starting to slow, end of season as I call it. (At least historically for me)

If you have a job with benefits in this economy keep it!!

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
So based on past history, when does one start to see the slow season end? Should we possibly expect more than one slow season a year? Of course I understand that your reply(s) will need to be based on past history before everything started getting slower in general.

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone know if Tristate Expedited, Express1, Panther or Bolt will accept a truck that is over 5 years old or are they basically like what I have out from Fedex that a newbie coming aboard must have a truck that is 5 years or newer.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Your best bet with questions about the age of trucks would be to call the carriers. I say this because even a driver who started with any of the companies a week ago, might not know of changes that were made this week and the info they offer might have changed since they last checked.