Any Advice For When I Return To Expediting Business?

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter
O.K. I have been in the Expediting Business as a Cargo Van Driver for about 2.5 Years. I have Decided to Take the Next 3 Years Away from the Expediting Business, Until My Youngest Child (My Son) Graduates from High School. I Plan on Setting Aside at Least $2000.00 for Start Up Costs; Is there anything else I should know about before I Go Back Out in 3 Years Time? What Carrier should I Try to Contract Myself with, Keep In Mind Panther is a Carrier I will Never Again Work For! I Plan on Driving for a Fleet Owner who Owns a Sprinter Van. Any Advice would be Greatly Appreciated.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
O.K. I have been in the Expediting Business as a Cargo Van Driver for about 2.5 Years. I have Decided to Take the Next 3 Years Away from the Expediting Business, Until My Youngest Child (My Son) Graduates from High School. I Plan on Setting Aside at Least $2000.00 for Start Up Costs; Is there anything else I should know about before I Go Back Out in 3 Years Time? What Carrier should I Try to Contract Myself with, Keep In Mind Panther is a Carrier I will Never Again Work For! I Plan on Driving for a Fleet Owner who Owns a Sprinter Van. Any Advice would be Greatly Appreciated.

A lot can happen in 3 years....Shoot, Panther may not be around, along with a few others. You're asking for palm readers here. Bump this tread to the top in 3 years. You'll get a better picture in 3 years.....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
$2000 is likely not enough for 'start up money'. Be sure to have AT LEAST enough money in the bank to cover a MINIMUM of 6 months of ALL your obligations. That is in addition to your business start up money.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
$2000 is likely not enough for 'start up money'. Be sure to have AT LEAST enough money in the bank to cover a MINIMUM of 6 months of ALL your obligations. That is in addition to your business start up money.

He is going to drive some one elses van,.you certainly dont need six months money to do that. If it isnt working you walk away. If you lose six months of expenses you were way to slow in making a change.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What Eddie said...no one can tell you what the industry is going to be in 3 yrs...oh and the $2000, it that based on the value of the dollar today?? Cause if thats what you are thinking, you might want to up that amount consideably!!! I am just sayin...