Another sign we don't have long

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Like most of us these days - we're tracking tech and trying to gauge it's impact. I think the potential threat for disruption is real, but how severe it will be is not clear in my mind yet. We're all are aware of those delivery situations where it would be near impossible for a self-driving truck could connect with the dock with a human at the wheel. #skynet

Reactions: fatboy1

Mel-Nath

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
In other news. In Florida an autonomous truck stopped on the road because they lost power in the control room that controls the truck. The response was something to the effect that they had thought of a lot of things, but never thought of the "what if" the control room loses power!
If they hadn't even thought of that scenario, they have a lot more "what ifs" to work through before these things take my job.

Reactions: ntimevan

SALO2024

Rookie Expediter
Driver
US Navy
The higher tec they make it the easer it is to crash the system.
plug up the piping.
10341456_10152224985894121_8139031751107925709_n.jpg

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
In other news. In Florida an autonomous truck stopped on the road because they lost power in the control room that controls the truck. The response was something to the effect that they had thought of a lot of things, but never thought of the "what if" the control room loses power!
If they hadn't even thought of that scenario, they have a lot more "what ifs" to work through before these things take my job.
Just wait for hurricane season to come and see how many times they lose power. Lol

Reactions: coalminer

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
....or say a goose strike takes out that rotating beacon thing on top....and how do they differentiate between a vehicle strike or a pothole or bad dip in the road that produces more then 2G's force. Lots to work out there.

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the most likely scenario will still require having a driver onboard. Most likely the autopilot on these trucks will just eliminate much of the HOS requirements for drivers since they will be able to sleep with the truck on autopilot when cruising down the highway. As the truck approaches the destination, the driver will get a wake up call from the truck and take over. A single driver will be able to put in the same miles that it takes a team to do now. Too many variables to safely rely on a self driving car on local streets and shipping docks.

Reactions: ucfd608

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In other, other news, a self driving car (with an operator behind the wheel, but the car was in autonomous mode) with Uber hit and killed a pedestrian in Tempe Arizona.

They really need to get this technology out of beta before putting it in the roads. This ain't the Internet or some phone app.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Uber has shut down all testing of self driving cars on public roadways, nationwide.
Quite a setback.

Reactions: Moot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think the autonomous mode monitor and whoever at Uber put that car on the road needs to go to prison. By the end of the week.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Those cars need the system to shutdown without warning every few minutes to keep the human alert.

Heck, we can’t get the average driver to stay alert.
Why do we expect a driver that is expecting that he’ll do nothing to stay alert ?

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Without a human present in the vehicle, who would stop the load from getting hijacked if somebody shot out the revolving sensor on the roof?

I would think NOT having a human on board would open up a lot of load jackings....

It's like having drones delivering packages....I'd imagine a lot of folks would start brushing up on skeet shooting ;-O

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Waymo, the closest to Level 5, is still full steam ahead, although others have voluntarily or been forced to halt testing. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you hate working) rather than slow things down, it may just change the winner of the race to full automation.

I don't think these systems will have any problem driving when they get ironed out. Border guards, shipper / receivers, and angry displaced truck drivers with high powered rifles...lots of potential delays ahead

Personally I just want a truck to go make me money while I snooze on the home couch

Reactions: billg27