Another Noob with Questions

Lovodo

Seasoned Expediter
Hello Everyone,

This is an amazing site and I’m so happy I found it. I’ve been reading posts the past few days and found a lot of answers to my questions. However, I still have questions on ways to get started in the expediting business part-time. I currently work a three on three off schedule in a non-transportation business. I’m looking to become a van expeditor on my three days off to bring in extra funds. From reading the forum, I’ve concluded that the only way to enter into the business is to find and owner willing to hire me. An ideal situation would be to contact my “owner” when I’m available and she/he provides me with a run. I don’t expect to make a living doing it this way, I would be happy making an extra $150-$250 a week.

Questions:
• Am I correct in assuming the best way to start is to do it as a non owner/operator?
• Are there companies out there willing to hire a part-timer working 3 consecutive days a week?
• Does anyone know of any St. Louis, MO based companies I can contact?

Shawn

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You might want to read a little bit more...

Expediting is not a part time job it is a 24 hour a day job often seven days a week.

An owner would want someone full time and to be able to stay out for extended periods.

I believe there is at least on courier company in the Saint Louis area, but I do not know the name. That seems more like what you are searching for.

Lovodo

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your response..... I'm familiar with some companies that do hot shot runs from Memphis and have known folks who do it part time. The problem is that I no longer live there..... My understanding from the forum is that expediting is the new term for hot-shots. Am I correct? My goal is to transport a truck full of goods to another city on demand…..

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am sure others will jump in with their thoughts on this.

We haul emergency freight and the problem is it is hard to plan an emergency. We often haul as little as an ounce to in our size truck 13,000lbs. We do not return to where we started we continue on our journey waiting for the next emergency.

I am not very familiar with hot shotting, but I believe that is planned freight not emergency freight. Two very different things we are talking about.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your response..... I'm familiar with some companies that do hot shot runs from Memphis and have known folks who do it part time. The problem is that I no longer live there..... My understanding from the forum is that expediting is the new term for hot-shots. Am I correct? My goal is to transport a truck full of goods to another city on demand…..

I think that you could be contracted if you owned your own van and took on the risk.

No owner is gonna give you his/her power unit for 3 days on and 3 days off. But you can do it if you are the owner...but most bigger companies want you available about 75% of the time....that is about the norm, correct me if I am wrong.

Other than that, get a CDLA and become a casual driver for a company........ ;-)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lovodo: I don't think expediting will work for you, if you need to go home that often. Even a pretty good area like St Louis, you may not get a load going there for weeks at a time - you'd have to deadhead to make the other job, and you would probably spend more money than you made.
Maybe local courier work?
PS Hotshots are pretty much the same as expediting, [I did some in the mid 80's, when I lived in New Orleans], only it's often done with pickup trucks, and mostly for the oil industry. At least it was then & there....

Reactions: QuickPUD

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I am sure others will jump in with their thoughts on this.

We haul emergency freight and the problem is it is hard to plan an emergency. We often haul as little as an ounce to in our size truck 13,000lbs. We do not return to where we started we continue on our journey waiting for the next emergency.

I am not very familiar with hot shotting, but I believe that is planned freight not emergency freight. Two very different things we are talking about.

True hotshotting is a flatbed version of expediting - emergency moves , frequently to bring needed parts to a piece of production machinery that is down . Rates are often over $3 a mile . However , as in expediting these days hotshot contractors can't survive on the amount of available true hotshot freight and most loads are light trailer load or LTL with a considerable amount of auto hauling .
In Lovodo's case he would have to be in a van or light vehicle that didn't require logging . FMCSR require ALL compensated hours to be logged as on duty . His hours on his other job would count against his 70 hours in 8 days .

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The definitions of hotshotting and expediting have broadened and even become similar over the years.

I often hear the term hotshot in relation to airfreight. This is usually freight that needs to be delivered as soon as it hits the ground which means it can't wait to be loaded on a route truck and sent out for delivery.

This is probably more suitable to your schedule. Hang out at some airfreight companies in the mornings and talk to van drivers waiting for freight. They may steer you to a company that would take on part-time drivers. You could also buy a decent used van and run for one of these companies.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
You might be happy making $150-250 a week, but remember that you then have to pay for insurance and other fees which will probably amount to $150-250 a week. I wouldn't put someone in my vehicle under such an arrangement.

You might be able to set something up on your own locally. Hang out at the freight companies near the airport. If you see people driving up and loading mini vans and pick up trucks, there is a chance that is the kind of place with work that you could do. You would have to have your own authority and insurance, and hopefully three days a week can pay to run your business.

Disclaimer: I am not a recruiter.

eb

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Crossroads Couriers is a pretty big outfit in the St Louis area. I think they may be more suited to what you're looking for.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The definitions of hotshotting and expediting have broadened and even become similar over the years.

I often hear the term hotshot in relation to airfreight. This is usually freight that needs to be delivered as soon as it hits the ground which means it can't wait to be loaded on a route truck and sent out for delivery.

This is probably more suitable to your schedule. Hang out at some airfreight companies in the mornings and talk to van drivers waiting for freight. They may steer you to a company that would take on part-time drivers. You could also buy a decent used van and run for one of these companies.

Courier companies or Air Freight companies usually use lots of independent agents. Expediting by nature is a full time job and is impossible to do part time. Go to various air freight and courier companies in the area and ask them if they have any agents that need part time drivers, for their vans. That would be the best way for you to pick up part time work.
I don't think you could afford to run part time in your own van due to insurance costs, vehicle cost etc.

Last edited: