Another n00b

lemon_fresh

Rookie Expediter
Heya peeps. I am a n00b to this line of work. I went back a year through this forum section and read a lot. I still have a few questions, if you will oblige me.

1). Why do almost no companies hire company drivers?

2). I understand that the best bet to get a foot in the door is to get hired on by an O/O, and the average goal is 60/40+100%fsc. How can one be sure he can trust the O/O, besides jumping in blind?

3). Generally, will I be required to live in the same area as the O/O? I live in deep south Texas, and I can't seem to find anyone or anything down here (and relocation is out for the time being); everything seems to be east of I35 and north of San Antonio.
3b). If the answer to above question is no, how does getting the truck and routing for home time work?

4). I have a CDL B with Passenger, Hazmat, and Airbrake endorsements. I drove a variety of vehicles, including straight trucks, but mostly 45' school buses for a school district for 10 years (roughly 150,000 miles, no accidents, incidents, or citations). In your opinion, does that experience count for anything?

5). Is there a market for solo straight truck drivers? Seems everyone is in a van. I don't want that.
5b). Do you actually sleep in the van? How does that work?

Thanks for any answers, and I will probably be asking more questions. :)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Heya peeps. I am a n00b to this line of work. I went back a year through this forum section and read a lot. I still have a few questions, if you will oblige me.

1). Why do almost no companies hire company driver
Because those companies do not own any trucks

2). I understand that the best bet to get a foot in the door is to get hired on by an O/O, and the average goal is 60/40+100%fsc. How can one be sure he can trust the O/O, besides jumping in blind

While you were reading here you probably picked up on some who are drivers or you can ask the question of the O/O you are considering driving for if you can talk to one of their drivers. If the answer is no than look for a different owner.

3). Generally, will I be required to live in the same area as the O/O? I live in deep south Texas, and I can't seem to find anyone or anything down here (and relocation is out for the time being); everything seems to be east of I35 and north of San Antonio
You do not need to live near the owner BUT you will probably have to pick up the truck someplace and also deliver it back to where you picked it up if you move on. There are several owners in Texas.

3b). If the answer to above question is no, how does getting the truck and routing for home time work?
You will usually take the truck home but you will work this out with the owner.

4). I have a CDL B with Passenger, Hazmat, and Airbrake endorsements. I drove a variety of vehicles, including straight trucks, but mostly 45' school buses for a school district for 10 years (roughly 150,000 miles, no accidents, incidents, or citations). In your opinion, does that experience count for anything?
I am sure that experience counts for a lot but you might still have to take a drive test

5). Is there a market for solo straight truck drivers? Seems everyone is in a van. I don't want that.
5b). Do you actually sleep in the van? How does that work?
Most owners want teams but you will have to call and ask them about this. Also you have to ask the van folks about sleeping in the van. EB does a blog and has written a lot about living and making money in a van.

Thanks for any answers, and I will probably be asking more questions. :)
Keep reading and asking questions as that is how you will learn and make the best decision for you.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome!
1: Most expedite carriers operate by contracting with the truck owners [independent contractors. Some of those owners may be [or become] fleet owners, hiring drivers [also independent contractors] to drive their trucks. This allows the carrier to save on asset costs & employee benefits, and the independent contractors to run their own business: win/win.
2: Due diligence: insist on speaking to current and/or former drivers for a potential fleet owner. Insist on reading the contract, and take your time with it, questioning anything that isn't clear.
3: You will not have to visit the owner's home often, [unless they offer room & board when you're in the area, lol] so it isn't a concern. You will need to collect and return the truck there, most likely, but not always.
4: The opinion that matters is that of the carrier for whom you want to drive.
5: Yes. I am one myself, and have been for almost 10 years. Straight trucks have sleepers, [mine has everything including the kitchen sink, lol], vans can have any arrangement the owner cares to create - and some are pretty comfy.

Once again, I'd suggest you try to attend an EO workshop, the time invested is well worth it. And good luck, it's a great adventure! ;)

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I sleep in my van on occasion. How does that work?

Well-- how do you want to do this? I run pretty spartan myself, often I'll just recline the seat , put my neck-pillow to good use and nod off (parked of course). If I want to get fancy about it I have a cot and an air-mattress that work reasonably well. Heat supplied by a Big Buddy heater in my case.

Other drivers can get pretty well set up. TVs, refrigerators, battery banks, generators, ----shoot, some of these guys seem to have central air and indoor plumbing-- I often wonder how they get paying freight on board. Use your imagination and set it up the way you like it, keeping in mind that you're trying to keep room to load two or three pallets so everything has to be movable and store-out-of-the-way-able.