Anone here drive a Ford E-350 Gasser?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Do any of you guys drive a Ford E-350 gas cargo van? I am looking at a great Ford E-350 gasser cargo van and I am wondering how they hold up compared to a Chevy Express van. I have heard that the Triton engine design is flawed which causes the spark plugs to break off in the cylinders when you have a tune-up done. I also heard that there are front end/alignment problems as well as transmission performance issues "not to mention ignition coil problems!!" Do you guys think a 2003 Extended Ford E-350 gasser with a triton V8 5.4 liter engine that has approximately 133 thousand miles on it is a good deal at 4500 bucks? The van was a fleet vehicle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Most folks I have spoken with seem to believe that all mass produced vehicles have their particularidiosyncrasies.

Ford has some, GM has some, Chrysler has some, etc.

You might check with a good independent repair shop and get their opinion as they generally have experience with the power trains of various manufacturers.

I would certainly take it to a good shop to have it checked out before making a purchase.

guido4475

Not a Member
Do any of you guys drive a Ford E-350 gas cargo van? I am looking at a great Ford E-350 gasser cargo van and I am wondering how they hold up compared to a Chevy Express van. I have heard that the Triton engine design is flawed which causes the spark plugs to break off in the cylinders when you have a tune-up done. I also heard that there are front end/alignment problems as well as transmission performance issues "not to mention ignition coil problems!!" Do you guys think a 2003 Extended Ford E-350 gasser with a triton V8 5.4 liter engine that has approximately 133 thousand miles on it is a good deal at 4500 bucks? The van was a fleet vehicle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Check your messages.I sent you info on a 2003 Ford E-350 extended, 140,000 mi, with a 7.3 diesel in it for around $6,500 and he will probably negotiate on it.Well below Kelley blue book.

Deville

Not a Member
I have a '96 e-350, Gas motor with 172,000 miles on it. Great Van. It has held up very well. Even though I like the looks & the feel of a Chevy van I would take a ford Van over a chevy Van. Fords are more reliable.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I have a 2007 Ford E350 Extended reg gas van with over 333,000 miles on it. The only problems I've had is that the heater blower motor went out, and a cracked windsheild. Nothing else. beware if you need to change the sparkplugs though. It will cost you around 50$ per plug to change b/c they are boot plugs.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks for the info guys. I got your message Guido. I'm not sure I want to just jump into getting a van until I have smoe more cash. I might go back to work for a fleet owner in March and try and get another 5-6k saved up before I make another major purchase. Just sold the carcass of my non-working van for 600 bucks. It feels so surreal to be homeless. :-(
That van was my livelyhood and my rolling apartment. It pains me to see it go, but it is just a 1500 and it was putting a severe restriction on my ability to make money.

transporter

Expert Expediter
i have a e350 i got lucky i dont have the version with the spark problem ford said if i did my tune up would cost 1500 dollars.
i have done tune up and shocks 120,000 2007

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hello
I have a [2]-E350 5.4 Triton one with 405,00 miles and one with 144,000 miles
The only major repair was the transmission was replaced on both vans. All other rerpairs are maintenance.
Tune ups cost $189.00 independent shop.
Ford Shops are about $100.00 more.
Very happy with performance of the Ford Van.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Since I have retired I have been driving the very best kind of Ford E350,( someone elses), on local deivery routes of about 200 to 300 miles per day. I'm NOT a Ford guy but I'm fairly impressed. It's a 5.4 gas and has had minimal maintenance. It has 278,000 miles on it and burns no oil. The transmission fluid has never been changed, its had one alignment, and probably never been tuned up. All it gets is regular oil changes and tires as needed. It gets 16.5 miles per gallon and runs out great. The spark plug problem on these vehicles is caused by the use of a two piece plug that is a welded assembly. It can be cured by using Champion plugs which are one piece.