Android Radio App

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That pause feature is priceless. Yeah, I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to Apps and Satellite radio. I just can't seem to let go of my free terrestrial radio. Hence all the questions.

The first time you're driving through the middle of nowhere at 3 am you'll appreciate 150 crystal clear channels to choose from versus some local swap shop :p

Camper

Not a Member
The first time you're driving through the middle of nowhere at 3 am you'll appreciate 150 crystal clear channels to choose from versus some local swap shop :p

I hear you. Believe me; I've had more than my fill of the constant local station shuffling. Hence, my current browsing expedition.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
No Howard Stern...wouldn't work for me...

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

MissKat

Expert Expediter
We have the onyx. Can't live without it. Has earphone plug that you can use to plug into your vehicle soundsystem via the aux. Best earphones are $10 at Walmart made by Phillips. Over ear hooks and undetectable by driveby mounties. $84 a year.then with an Android for $1.99 a mth you add the sirius app and listen to it when your co driver wants to use the onyx. There's a new one out that is $30 at loves that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I tape the magnetic antenna $20 to the cb antenna or rooftop radio antenna.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The SiriusXM app for the phone is, as someone said, surprisingly reliable when driving down the road. I messed with it for the 30 days, tho I have a regular subscription already. Can't see paying the extra $2.99 to add it, since I'm almost always in the truck, anyway. Same with Internet listening, no point in doing that, 'cause it'll just eat up bandwidth, plus I can just reach over and turn on the radio, instead.

The biggest problem for me with the Internet and the phone app is the lack of specialized programming, like MLB, where to get that on the phone I'd have to pay money to MLB directly. The regular subscription with the radio pretty well covers it for me. And satellite reception is very, very good. It's a little flaky in the mountains, as unlike GPS which can compensate, when the satellite signal is lost from line-of-sight, it's gone. So parking under a tree or on the north side of a mountain can be problematic.

I remember when satellite radio first came out, recalling that you'd have to be mental to pay for radio. Then I started driving long distances (with another job) and got tired of having to change channels every 15-30 minutes, especially when it was a ball game that I couldn't find on another channel. Or even better, driving out west for hours at a time with nothing coming in, or the one channel that does come in is Mexican Polka music featuring the accordion and the tuba. Oooom-pa-paaa, amigo.

Then I got XM when they announced the addition of MLB. The first day after I got it I listened to the same station all the way from west KY to Spokane. I was hooked, totally mental. Wouldn't be without it now.

FWIW, the best off-the-shelf earphones are the Sure SE535 sound isolating in-ear earphones, they are 3-driver reference earphones with detachable cord and unique form-fitting cabling. They're $500, though. Best very earphones are the ones from Jerry Harvey (JH Audio), which have double dual low-frequency, single dual midrange, and single dual tweeter drivers with 3-way integrated crossovers, yep, 16-drivers. They are custom audiologist molded, too. They'll set you back $1,149.00.

I've got the Nokia BH-905 Stereo Headphones, but they're over-the-ear traditional headphone style. Aggressive noise canceling and Bluetooth stereo, or wired. They're awesome. But headphone bulky. They do come in a really kewl hard case, tho. Cost is about $250.00.

Here is a rather unique review of the BH-905 headphones. :D

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tunein is a good app. I even use it to listen to radio stations on my tv through wd live plus media player.