And Obama will waste tax dollars?

theBeemer

Not a Member
Palin supports $600 million 'other' bridge project - Yahoo! News

Palin supports $600 million 'other' bridge project By GARANCE BURKE, Associated Press Writer
Tue Sep 16, 6:58 AM ET

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Gov. Sarah Palin may eventually have said "no thanks" to a federally funded Bridge to Nowhere.

But a bridge to her hometown of Wasilla, that's a different story.

A $600 million bridge and highway project to link Alaska's largest city to Palin's town of 7,000 residents is moving full speed ahead, despite concerns the bridge could worsen some commuting and threaten a population of beluga whales.

$600 million could go along way towards a health insurance pool :rolleyes:

Local officials already have spent $42 million on plans to route traffic across the Knik Arm inlet, a narrow finger of water extending roughly 25 miles northeast of Anchorage toward Wasilla. The proposal exists thanks to an earmark request by Republican Rep. Don Young, whose son-in-law has a small stake in property near the bridge's proposed western span.

A Democratic council member in Anchorage will try Tuesday to spike the city's sponsorship of the project, which Palin supports with some reservations.

"This is basically an incredibly expensive project that doesn't help commuters, doesn't help create jobs and may drive whales to extinction," said Justin Massey, an attorney advising environmentalists opposed to the proposal. "It is also a project that serves the area where the governor is from, which is near and dear to her heart."

The Knik Arm was one of two bridge proposals in Alaska awarded more than $450 million from lawmakers who requested money for special projects in 2005, when Young chaired the House Transportation Committee. Young, Alaska's 18-term congressman, has said Alaska still lacks basic roads, railroads and bridges that were developed long ago in older and less spacious states.

At the time, Palin's running mate for the Republican ticket, Arizona Sen. John McCain, derided both projects as wasteful. He called Young's highway bill a "monstrosity" that was "terrifying in its fiscal consequences."

John did you forget God parted the skys and told her it was (GOD) his will???

"I want no part of this," McCain said in a July 2005 statement. "This legislation is not — I emphasize not — my way of legislating."

The governor initially championed the first so-called Bridge to Nowhere, which would have connected the southeastern Alaska town of Ketchikan to its airport on nearby Gravina Island. She later pulled the plug on the project after it became a national symbol of extravagant federal spending.

Palin's record on the Bridge to Nowhere has emerged as a central point of controversy in the campaign over her recent public claims that she had opposed it, aligning herself with McCain's anti-earmarks philosophy.

Get your stories straight now :eek:

Palin still supports the second bridge, officially named Don Young's Way in honor of the congressman. She called for a review of the bridge's financing plans and raised concerns about its financial risks for the state. Still, the planning process is marching forward.

"Governor Palin's demand for accountability and transparency around this project is exactly what she has called for across the board to ensure taxpayers' dollars are being used wisely," spokeswoman Maria Comella said.

Looks like doesn't it? ya think?

Dianne Keller, who succeeded Palin as mayor in Wasilla, has said the new $600 million crossing could lower traffic congestion in the fast-growing community. A Federal Highway Administration study shows the project would cut down some area commutes, but could add to others as more people move to the suburbs.

The average commuter trip to work for Wasilla residents is 34 minutes, compared to an average of 25 minutes for the rest of the United States, according to 2000 Census figures, the most recent available.

The bridge is popular with property developers — including a group comprised of Young's son-in-law, the former legislative director for indicted Republican Sen. Ted Stevens and three others — who own land across from Anchorage on the inlet's western side.

AHHHHHHH the real reason..comes out

The National Marine Fisheries Service is evaluating whether the isolated beluga whales that breed and feed in the waterway's strong tides should be listed as endangered under the federal Endangered Species Act. Palin has publicly urged the government not to list Cook Inlet beluga whales as endangered.

God must of said to her..Yea so what who cares what else I made go ahead and destroy them too

Anchorage Assembly members Patrick Flynn and Matt Claman, both Democrats, plan to introduce a proposal to kill the bridge on Tuesday. They argue the money would be better used to set up commuter van pools and fix Alaska's existing highways, some of which are so rutted that cars go skidding off the road.

"She clearly hasn't said 'no thanks' to this particular bridge," Claman said. "If money were not an issue and we had no limits, maybe we'd build a bridge. But this is not a pragmatic or efficient way to spend scarce resources."

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am trying to figure out;

1 - What this really means because to me, I don't care and most likely everyone who is going to vote for McCain/Palin ticket will not care. Honestly the only people who care are the far left and the hate bush at any price.

2- Why should the $600M go into a health insurance pool, screw that. I want them to spend the $600M on nothing, which means that I don't want them to spend the $712M that they will need to repay the loan back because there is no money to begin with. Insurance pool? NO lets get people working, than get some serious insurance reform and tort reform.

3 - When will some learn that with a governor who has 83% (plus) approval rating, a lot of enemies in the Alaskan government and someone who has gone against the status quo but still had to compromise on a lot of issues just to keep the state moving is a hell of a lot better than the two clowns who can't even fricken agree on Major campaign issues - Biden "... the bush tax cuts for the rich will be gone when we get into office... regardless..." Obama "... I will not let the Bush tax program expire if we are struggling with our economy..." At least with McCain and Palin, we have a lot of consistency.

4 - I can't figure out if it matters that God spoke to Palin, he surely talked to McCain when he was vacationing in veitnam and may have spoken to others but see I know that it matters that everyone seems to ignore the fact that Obama has taken the same position that he is God's candidate, he mentioned a couple times that he is God's messenger. So What does matter?

5 - what's the big deal anyway, $600M is nothing when you look what is being spent on bail outs. Someone mentioned that Enron and S&L cost use less than just mortgage bail out, let alone Fannie and Freddie, now we are 'lending' tax payers money to AIG. Where is the screaming about putting these people on trial who caused all of this, how about a serious investigation into the senate, like Rangal, Frank, Dodd and Obama? Each has some sort of hand in this mess.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's an enlightening article from the website of the Council for Citizens Against Government Waste:

For Immediate Release Contact: Leslie K. Paige 202-467-5334
September 11, 2008

CCAGW: BRIDGING THE KNOWLEDGE GAP ON THE “BRIDGE TO NOWHERE”

(Washington, D.C.) - The Council for Citizens Against Government Waste (CCAGW) today released a backgrounder on congressional funding for the bridge from Ketchikan to Gravina Island in Alaska, better known as the “Bridge to Nowhere.” The material addresses some of the questions raised about the history of the bridge and its ultimate demise.

“There has been much debate and even more speculation about how funds for the Bridge to Nowhere were first provided, Congress’s role in changing the nature of the funding, and the various options the state of Alaska had to build the bridge,” said CCAGW President Tom Schatz. “Many in the media and the public are providing an opinion when they should be providing the facts. We intend to continually update this document on our website as additional verifiable information becomes available.”

The Bridge to Nowhere was first funded in August 2005 through the 2005 SAFETEA-LU Act through a $223 million earmark inserted by then-House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Don Young (R-Alaska). In October, 2005, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) offered an amendment to the fiscal 2006 Transportation Appropriations Act to transfer $75 million in funding for the Bridge to Nowhere, along with money for the Knik Arm Bridge in Alaska, to support the rebuilding of the Twin Spans Bridge in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. His amendment was defeated by a vote of 15-82. Senators Biden (D-Del.) and Obama (D-Ill.) voted against the amendment; Sen. McCain (R-Ariz.) was not present for the vote.

In November, 2005, Congress included language in the final version of the fiscal 2006 Transportation Appropriations Act that allowed the state of Alaska to either spend money on the two bridges or on other surface transportation projects. In October, 2006, Alaska Governor Frank Murkowski included $91 million for the Gravina Island Bridge in his budget submission for fiscal year 2007. As a candidate for governor, Sarah Palin expressed a mixture of support and doubt about the bridge, particularly about how the project would be funded. As governor, she submitted her budget on January 17, 2007 without any money for the bridge. On July 17, 2007, the Associated Press reported that “The state of Alaska on Friday officially abandoned the ‘bridge to nowhere’ project that became a nationwide symbol of federal pork-barrel spending.” Governor Palin said in a statement that “Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport, but the $398 million bridge is not the answer.”

“Media reports that Congress killed the Bridge to Nowhere are not accurate,” said Schatz. “The 2006 transportation appropriations bill allowed Alaska to decide whether or not to move forward. Governor Murkowski said yes; Governor Palin said no. Any discussion about the project should begin with facts.”

The Council for Citizens Against Government Waste is the lobbying arm of Citizens Against Government Waste, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating waste, fraud, abuse, and mismanagement in government.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One other seldom-mentioned fact relative to earmarks and pork barrel spending: during their criticisms of earmarks in AK, the Democrats never mention the pork accumulated by Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV) which totals over $3 BILLION since 1991. He has over 40 buildings, highways, projects, etc. named after himself as monuments to his waste. This is certainly not to excuse Ted Stevens and Don Young for their excesses, but when people regard Byrd as the "King of Pork" they aren't kidding. Besides, has anyone ever heard any criticism of Gov. Joe Manchin or any of his predecessors for not killing any of Byrd's wasteful spending? For that matter, when's the last time ANY governor got raked over the coals in the mainstream media for cooperating with congressional pork projects?

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
I am trying to figure out;

1 - What this really means because to me, I don't care and most likely everyone who is going to vote for McCain/Palin ticket will not care. Honestly the only people who care are the far left and the hate bush at any price.

2- Why should the $600M go into a health insurance pool, screw that. I want them to spend the $600M on nothing, which means that I don't want them to spend the $712M that they will need to repay the loan back because there is no money to begin with. Insurance pool? NO lets get people working, than get some serious insurance reform and tort reform.

3 - When will some learn that with a governor who has 83% (plus) approval rating, a lot of enemies in the Alaskan government and someone who has gone against the status quo but still had to compromise on a lot of issues just to keep the state moving is a hell of a lot better than the two clowns who can't even fricken agree on Major campaign issues - Biden "... the bush tax cuts for the rich will be gone when we get into office... regardless..." Obama "... I will not let the Bush tax program expire if we are struggling with our economy..." At least with McCain and Palin, we have a lot of consistency.

4 - I can't figure out if it matters that God spoke to Palin, he surely talked to McCain when he was vacationing in veitnam and may have spoken to others but see I know that it matters that everyone seems to ignore the fact that Obama has taken the same position that he is God's candidate, he mentioned a couple times that he is God's messenger. So What does matter?

5 - what's the big deal anyway, $600M is nothing when you look what is being spent on bail outs. Someone mentioned that Enron and S&L cost use less than just mortgage bail out, let alone Fannie and Freddie, now we are 'lending' tax payers money to AIG. Where is the screaming about putting these people on trial who caused all of this, how about a serious investigation into the senate, like Rangal, Frank, Dodd and Obama? Each has some sort of hand in this mess.

Well said Greg.

theBeemer

Not a Member
One other seldom-mentioned fact relative to earmarks and pork barrel spending: during their criticisms of earmarks in AK, the Democrats never mention the pork accumulated by Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV) which totals over $3 BILLION since 1991. He has over 40 buildings, highways, projects, etc. named after himself as monuments to his waste. This is certainly not to excuse Ted Stevens and Don Young for their excesses, but when people regard Byrd as the "King of Pork" they aren't kidding. Besides, has anyone ever heard any criticism of Gov. Joe Manchin or any of his predecessors for not killing any of Byrd's wasteful spending? For that matter, when's the last time ANY governor got raked over the coals in the mainstream media for cooperating with congressional pork projects?

Over 3? I would say over 4 billion..And why on earth did Robert KKK Byrd serve so long? Another one tha baffles me is Kennedy and his clan....Can anyone name one good thing he has actually done??
I wish their was a third party....The ones we have now all suck

greg334

Veteran Expediter
...Can anyone name one good thing he has actually done??

Old man Joe
was part of the Tammany hall system
was corrupt
was a bootlegger
had a hand in pump and dump scams on wall street
was placed in the position to come up with the rules for wall street as the leader of the SEC
setting the SEC rules to help his friends make millions
got appointed to England as American representative
supported Hitler
set himself up with import contracts with the many whiskey makers in Ireland

JFK
lowered taxes
fought communism and their missiles
attacked Cuba
escalated in Vietnam
P*ssed off a lot of Mafia
didn't want Sammy Davis Jr to be at the white house celebrating civil rights and Lincoln's birthday
forced Sinatra to change from Democrat to republican because "the party stands for nothing I stand for"

RFK
p*ssed off Hoffa
P*ssed off the Mafia
ran for president

Teddy
Killed a girl
open the door for 43 years of screwed up immigration which screwed the country
got drunk and still remains drunk

JFK jr.
Published a Magazine
suffered from spatial disorientation

Jackie O
was a Wesley girl
married JFK
fought the Indians over them being there, who were part of her private island

RFK jr
says that there is global warming while flying in the private Kennedy 747
is a lot like ALGORE, hypercritical and cashing in on the fears of the people

Yep pretty much useless people.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Who is the most qualified to spend money? A very attractive woman who is also a mother or a vote panderer who claims to be for us working class folks while he dines with Barbara Streisand and other Hollywood elitist?

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Well,I guess this argument is over.If the Chinese did'nt own our *** before the $700 Billion they sure as hell will own it after.
Nobody can spend tax $'s faster then the GOP, now fully proven.

McCain can't remeber if he's going to the debate or staying in DC to upset the fragile apple cart. The Republicans are fighting against Bush and the Obama campaign is laughing all the way to Mississippi.

What else is new, the fools acting like fools,or the fools acting like elitest fools.
God,it's become hilarious and who's in the middle,Sara Friggin Palin. What a debacle.

theBeemer

Not a Member
Well,I guess this argument is over.If the Chinese did'nt own our *** before the $700 Billion they sure as hell will own it after.
Nobody can spend tax $'s faster then the GOP, now fully proven.

McCain can't remeber if he's going to the debate or staying in DC to upset the fragile apple cart. The Republicans are fighting against Bush and the Obama campaign is laughing all the way to Mississippi.

What else is new, the fools acting like fools,or the fools acting like elitest fools.
God,it's become hilarious and who's in the middle,Sara Friggin Palin. What a debacle.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
What irks me the most is the chutzpuh these Vampires have, to ask for 100 times $100 million x 2 in bonuses for their scew up? And Bush and crew will say the Taxpayers will give it to you...who on earth else would even let that thought cross their minds? Im sure I will get some flack on this about how we should allow it and all who wants to bet?
I still think their is more to this then what is being told...Some say its the left's fault for forcing them to give loans to under qualified....Yes its the left's fault for the sky high interest rates. :rolleyes:
Any of us went out of business or screwed up like this, these vultures would be all over us...And that takes some Chutzpuh

Last edited:

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Over 3? I would say over 4 billion..And why on earth did Robert KKK Byrd serve so long? Another one tha baffles me is Kennedy and his clan....Can anyone name one good thing he has actually done??
I wish their was a third party....The ones we have now all suck

Just heard on the news that Kennedy was hauled off to the
hospital by ambulance..maybe we won't have to worry
about him going back to the Senate.

theBeemer

Not a Member
Old man Joe
was part of the Tammany hall system
was corrupt
was a bootlegger
had a hand in pump and dump scams on wall street
was placed in the position to come up with the rules for wall street as the leader of the SEC
setting the SEC rules to help his friends make millions
got appointed to England as American representative
supported Hitler
set himself up with import contracts with the many whiskey makers in Ireland

JFK
lowered taxes
fought communism and their missiles
attacked Cuba
escalated in Vietnam
P*ssed off a lot of Mafia
didn't want Sammy Davis Jr to be at the white house celebrating civil rights and Lincoln's birthday
forced Sinatra to change from Democrat to republican because "the party stands for nothing I stand for"

RFK
p*ssed off Hoffa
P*ssed off the Mafia
ran for president

Teddy
Killed a girl
open the door for 43 years of screwed up immigration which screwed the country
got drunk and still remains drunk

JFK jr.
Published a Magazine
suffered from spatial disorientation

Jackie O
was a Wesley girl
married JFK
fought the Indians over them being there, who were part of her private island

RFK jr
says that there is global warming while flying in the private Kennedy 747
is a lot like ALGORE, hypercritical and cashing in on the fears of the people

Yep pretty much useless people.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
So your saying can't eather? :D I wonder if Mr. Turtle can? At least to prove me wrong again..Kinda miss not bickering with him. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey TalCal, the DEMOCRATS are in charge of both the HOUSE and SENATE. Unless I am wrong, and I am not, ONLY the HOUSE of REPRESENTITIVEs can spend the PEOPLES money. NOT the President. Looks like the Democrats are doing the "Sticking it to us" now. Go Nancy (Wicked Witch of the West, also known as Obama in drag) Pelosi!!!! Play Robin Hood!! Steal my money and give it to your BUDDIES at Fannie Mae. Hell, I don't need it. Layoutshooter

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
once again the republikans cant take responsibility for their foolish polices.6yrs they had total control of both houses and the white house spent,spent ,spent,gave tax breaks to their rich supporters proved again that trickel down economics is a pipe dream , and then blame it on the democrats!!! you guys are as childish as numb nuts regan was he started it all with his astrolgy and except for clinton it has gone on non stop--hope the congress does nothing the house republicans are right on this one-only bailouts should be just like the ones in '27 from the 50th floors of wall street .