And...It's...Over....(for now)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Flatbeddin may pay little better....but it is hard work...tarping , strapping and chaining...especially in the winter in Minnesota!!!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Flatbeddin may pay little better....but it is hard work...tarping , strapping and chaining...especially in the winter in Minnesota!!!

More work and responsibility but there are other benefits like less time loading and unloading. I think the biggest is if the economy is good flatbed freight is moving, if it's bad places are closing up so equipment is getting moved, if the government decides to start spending money on public works and infrastructure, equipment and freight is moving.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
The flatbed points are on his con list. Also, vehicle hauling has similar drawbacks.

Right now he will play it by ear, listen to others in truck stops, and not grind gears or jake brake for fun.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
The flatbed points are on his con list. Also, vehicle hauling has similar drawbacks.

Right now he will play it by ear, listen to others in truck stops, and not grind gears or jake brake for fun.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

I can tell you from experience that a single drop deck will pay the best and you can still carry the same as a straight flat.
A lot easier to get on and off also. When the economy picks up more the machinary loads pay very well.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He needs a hair cut.

No. No he doesn't.

Yes he does.

Addams-Family-Cousin-Itt-addams-family-5684028-356-288.jpg

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Truth is, he calls ME his "Little Cousin Itt"...you should see my hair in the morning...no, wait, no you shouldn't. No one should.

Though I admit, his hair is about 2" longer than mine.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I can tell you from experience that a single drop deck will pay the best and you can still carry the same as a straight flat.
A lot easier to get on and off also. When the economy picks up more the machinary loads pay very well.

If ya only knew...how many truckstops on our evening walks..."Oooh, look a dropdeck"..."I wanna do a dropdeck"...."It will take me awhile to get the experience to qualify"...."Oooh, look a dropdeck"

I can see that in the future.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Double drop pays well, I think I should be getting out of the van on Thursday and running one again.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Lisa, with Swift, if that's who he's on with, flatbed is the way to go. It's like a company within a company. The flatbed drivers get treated better, in small ways, like priority for getting work done on truck when it needs shop work done.

Yes, it's hard work, but but once u learn to work smarter, it gets easier. And the pay is better. Oh, and if he has wanderlust, he may see more of the country, and get longer runs, in flatbed.

Jim F

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
He has been talking to his trainer about this. His trainer has been with Swift a very long time. Even though it's only been 3 days, they really like one another and are talking about all aspects of the industry. The one reason his trainer doesn't do flatbed is because of his obligations at home and can't be away for very long periods of time. Jeff on the other hand can stay out...no wife, no kids.

Jeffman sure does have wanderlust. That is why he decided to make landscape installation his secondary business and expediting his primary eight years ago.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
He has over half his training hours done. He has driven the Appalachians and Rockies at night in the rain and wind. He is driving 11 hours a day now. He has been home once because the trainer's wife had a medical emergency. They went back out 2 1/2 weeks ago. They will be back next week for 5 days (her emergency of 3 weeks ago requires surgery)...then off again to complete his training. Doing a lot of "drop and hook", he's been from Michigan to Mississippi, Connecticut to California. He absolutely loves it.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like he is getting a lot of miles in and seeing a lot of the country. Hopefully he gets to drive in snow with his trainer so he has the experience with someone to help, its different than being in a car.

BeecherKen

Active Expediter
So their driving like a team now? How does he like that? I know you were very rude to me on the phone when you saw him coming up Dort Hwy in the truck and said you had to go because AND I QUOTE "Oh, here comes Sugar Monkey, later dude". Yeah I said it. She calls him Sugar Monkey.

P.S. I got your parking space here in Antioch. NOW WHAT?!?! HUH?!?! Come and get me, woman!!! ;D

Last edited:

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Yes, BeeKee, it is like team now. Once Jeff got his 50 hours in, Tim (the trainer) could then nap while Jeff drove. Tim has told Jeff he is the best trainee he has had, learns quick and retains; not afraid of the road, traffic, weather, or truck. Tim said if he could, he would let Jeff go solo now. :)

As for you being in "our" parking space? I'm a retired widow with no children and my man is in OK City...I have NOTHING to keep me here, compredere?? LOL!!!

Plus, I wasn't rude...I just got off the phone quickly. Hmmm...my choice...talk to Kenny? Jeff? Hmmm....

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Training done. Final road and written exams passed. Come Monday he begins his tenure as a solo company driver for Swift.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Training done. Final road and written exams passed. Come Monday he begins his tenure as a solo company driver for Swift.

That's cool and exciting for you guys. I should be jumping into a truck shortly for some retraining.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
NO. You torture your Gummy Bears before you eat them (using a toothpick to give them belly buttons). I will not be party to Gummy Bear abuse.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums