An open question to owners of unmarked van companies.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Once again, this thread has gone off topic. Question at hand was why don't the owners of the companies provide or require logos on the vehicles that are leased to them. Not why don't the o/o put them on.
This thread had very little chance of staying on-topic, unless it remained a virtual ghost town, since very few of the owners of those companies post here on these boards.

cubansammich

Not a Member
Southbound on a freeway yesterday, I saw a white, unmarked Sprinter, clean and in good condition driving northbound. After reading this thread, I had no idea what to think about that van. Before reading this thread, I would have thought nothing about it at all.

A white, unmarked van driving north on a freeway is a white, unmarked van driving north on a freeway. Projecting anything more than that onto the van or its driver is just that, a projection that sources from within the person doing the projecting.

Exactly why I believe it is good practice. No signs, no questions.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think unmarked vans have created questions multitudes of times.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think unmarked vans have created questions multitudes of times.
You betcha. Park an unmarked van next to the UN building in Manhattan at 3 in the morning and see if someone doesn't ask you a question or two. Granted, you're likely to get questioned in a lettered van, too, but the questions will come from a very different perception.

An unmarked van on the highway isn't a context which would normally raise suspicion or concern, much less any projections. But an unmarked van driving through a small town, especially through a residential area will. So will a parked van in many places. An unmarked van parked along the perimeter of a truck stop might not raise any questions from other expediters or those familiar with them, but one parked in the center of the lot amongst restaurant goers often will.

It's interesting to observe an unmarked van parked among the restaurant goers after dark, and how new arrivals (especially women) will often avoid parking in a spot right next to the van's sliding door, but will not give a second thought to parking by the sliding door side of a lettered van in the same area.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Lets just burn them at the stake, draw and quarter I say there, dungeon the rest, run up the jolly roger or is it rodger, I dunno.............keel haul women and children, ooomy...

guido4475

Not a Member
You betcha. Park an unmarked van next to the UN building in Manhattan at 3 in the morning and see if someone doesn't ask you a question or two. Granted, you're likely to get questioned in a lettered van, too, but the questions will come from a very different perception.

An unmarked van on the highway isn't a context which would normally raise suspicion or concern, much less any projections. But an unmarked van driving through a small town, especially through a residential area will. So will a parked van in many places. An unmarked van parked along the perimeter of a truck stop might not raise any questions from other expediters or those familiar with them, but one parked in the center of the lot amongst restaurant goers often will.

It's interesting to observe an unmarked van parked among the restaurant goers after dark, and how new arrivals (especially women) will often avoid parking in a spot right next to the van's sliding door, but will not give a second thought to parking by the sliding door side of a lettered van in the same area.

A friend of mine has a van very similar to mine, but no markings at all, as he runs for several cheap carriers at once.He is always getting questioned by a local law enforcement cop.

cubansammich

Not a Member

If I am not mistaken the van loaded with the fertilizer bomb was a yellow Rider with signs all over it. An unmarked van is no more suspicious than one with signs. My girlfriend's 15 year old daughter has called my ride a "creeper van" ever since she first saw it, decals and all. Her attitude has not changed for the better or the worse since they were removed.

cubansammich

Not a Member
A friend of mine has a van very similar to mine, but no markings at all, as he runs for several cheap carriers at once.He is always getting questioned by a local law enforcement cop.

Interesting. In 14 months I have not experienced this phenomenon even once. Perhaps your friend drew this attention to himself.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
An unmarked van is no more suspicious than one with signs.
People see a van, they think "creeper". Even more so when it's a plain van. You can believe otherwise, or you can go out and talk to people, read the newspapers, watch the news. To think that an unmarked van is no more suspicious than a marked one defies both reality and basic human nature. The unknown is always more suspicious than the known. There's no way around that.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And here I thought a "creeper" is the thing you use to get under the van when you need to replace the shock absorbers.

When I was working for a local courier outfit, they provided laminated signs they wanted us to use. I used one to get some magnetics made, they looked exactly like the laminated paper signs.

The outfit I drive for now didn't provide any signs, but I was able to get the information I needed to get signs made. Why they don't provide signs for vans is anybody's guess, but it seems that the DOT not requiring it goes a long way. Less expense and all that.

I know you're not gonna believe this but--- department: The church I belong to is having an alternative party on Halloween night. The idea is that we have candy in our vehicles, and the kids go to the various vehicles in the parking lot and load up on candy. So, if I show that night (this business being what it is, no guarantees) I just might have candy in my van and kids coming to the van to get the candy. Just when you thought it couldn't get stranger.

cubansammich

Not a Member
I know you're not gonna believe this but--- department: The church I belong to is having an alternative party on Halloween night. The idea is that we have candy in our vehicles, and the kids go to the various vehicles in the parking lot and load up on candy. So, if I show that night (this business being what it is, no guarantees) I just might have candy in my van and kids coming to the van to get the candy. Just when you thought it couldn't get stranger.

Now that is creepy!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Yeh my Church does the same thing. That's why I don't show up, really creepy. Like the kids are to stupid to figure it out. I think it's something like "Junk in the Trunk", maybe. :confused:

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
I don't "own" my van, but it is a plain white van that my 15 year old daughter calls the "pedo van" Guess its kinda like the "creeper" thing.

When I asked my owner about it, his answer was simple. Less tickets. If you are driving and in a pack of cars going 10 over, they're not going to single you out as a business vehicle and come after you. I can understand that, I guess, and accept it. We do however have our ST's all signed and lettered, per the law. I have noticed a tendency in LEO around the areas we work in to go after commercial or business vehicles first, so I guess I'm ok with that. Then again, I don't speed or drive like an idiot (although I'm sure the guys behind me in the right lane going exactly 75mph think I do!) so I don't worry about LEO.....whats he gonna pull me over for? I have a spotless record, and I'll tell you like I told my boss.....THAT ain't changing for ANY ONE....I don't care how hot the freight is, it will get there when I get it there, in one piece, without me getting in trouble to get it there.

Its not always about being "fly by night".....sometimes there ARE actual reasons for it. Don't immediately jump to conclusions please? Some of us in those unmarked vans don't get a choice in the matter.

cubansammich

Not a Member
People see a van, they think "creeper". Even more so when it's a plain van. You can believe otherwise, or you can go out and talk to people, read the newspapers, watch the news. To think that an unmarked van is no more suspicious than a marked one defies both reality and basic human nature. The unknown is always more suspicious than the known. There's no way around that.

Yeah, LOL!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't "own" my van, but it is a plain white van that my 15 year old daughter calls the "pedo van" Guess its kinda like the "creeper" thing.

When I asked my owner about it, his answer was simple. Less tickets. If you are driving and in a pack of cars going 10 over, they're not going to single you out as a business vehicle and come after you. I can understand that, I guess, and accept it. We do however have our ST's all signed and lettered, per the law. I have noticed a tendency in LEO around the areas we work in to go after commercial or business vehicles first, so I guess I'm ok with that. Then again, I don't speed or drive like an idiot (although I'm sure the guys behind me in the right lane going exactly 75mph think I do!) so I don't worry about LEO.....whats he gonna pull me over for? I have a spotless record, and I'll tell you like I told my boss.....THAT ain't changing for ANY ONE....I don't care how hot the freight is, it will get there when I get it there, in one piece, without me getting in trouble to get it there.

Its not always about being "fly by night".....sometimes there ARE actual reasons for it. Don't immediately jump to conclusions please? Some of us in those unmarked vans don't get a choice in the matter.

The ticket thing sounds fishy. Been driving marked vans for years and never pulled over. sounds more like your boss is saying its easier to break the law and get away with it. Im like you and do not purposely speed or things.

Tkien

Active Expediter
I drive a unmarked van. Only marking is van number. I think markings on the the van is better, but don't own it so not my say so. But owner only hasn't done because he chooses not to, plus we do run for several companies. But as long as I continue to be paid I don't care.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok time for a shake up.

Do eo members feel it would be good for the industry if carriers were pressured into having least the company name on their trucks.

I use the term pressure because i would not want government involved. Maybe a requirement to belong to major load boards or Teana.