Ambient sensors....Heard of them?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes boys and girls the Ambient sensors are coming. What are they? Well it is a add on to Quallcomm that wont allow the truck to idle between 70 and 20 degrees.
Schneider and Werner are among the first to start installing them. Drivers are upset to say the least.
Wont affect Expeditors you say? I would bet that a law would someday be in the works to require them in all trucks.Ambient Sensors

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe they will install them in the trucking executives office's and let them burn up or freeze and see how they like it. Oh, and let's not forget the dispatchers either. Oh, and while I'm at it...lets install some sort of hydraulic device on all the chairs (make it a law) in their office's that will slam their seats up and down (real hard) about a thousand times a minute. Oh, and how bout we, in a cost cutting measure of course, how about requiring the execs to work 15-20 hours a day and if they "squeal" or "whine" about it, lets call them wussies, or tell them they are not "team players!" Oh, I could go on and on......

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
They have been around for awhile. Us express uses them along with multiple others.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes boys and girls the Ambient sensors are coming. What are they? Well it is a add on to Quallcomm that wont allow the truck to idle between 70 and 20 degrees.
Schneider and Werner are among the first to start installing them. Drivers are upset to say the least.
Wont affect Expeditors you say? I would bet that a law would someday be in the works to require them in all trucks.Ambient Sensors

Sprinters have them now...front and rear sensors......
Tough luck for company drivers...just follow the rules...you are an employee afterall....a mere puppet.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
20 degrees is a little too cold otherwise not a huge issue for me...we don't idle unless it's hotter than 70 or colder than 35. Quite a few states already have idle laws in place and few more have passed them. I'm definitely bugging my other half to fix our generator!

)0( Nasmaste )0(

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
These aren't new. I know they came into question in either CA or NY because the low temperature was considered animal cruelty if a animal was in the cab.:rolleyes:
Of course it doesn't matter if the driver freezes, it only matters that Fido doesn't get a chill.

Deville

Not a Member
These aren't new. I know they came into question in either CA or NY because the low temperature was considered animal cruelty if a animal was in the cab.:rolleyes:
Of course it doesn't matter if the driver freezes, it only matters that Fido doesn't get a chill.

Or over. 70* in a closed window with out the A/C running is like 90* to a dog.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Tough luck for company drivers...just follow the rules...you are an employee afterall....a mere puppet.
Problem is, that this is not the kind of question perspective new recruit ask an recruiter. and recruiters will never volunteer this kind of information. once they get an innocent driver into the company truck, all signed in and held hostage, then, but only then, will the driver find out that the truck will not provide for heating or cooling while parked.
this is NOT tough luck, it's a well orchestrated operation aimed @ spinning the revolving door.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
We don't have them but then again we don't need them. We have thermoking apu and espar bunk heaters. My truck never idles even when doing drop/hook I shut her down.

Reason above not to drive for sni or Weiner.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Problem is, that this is not the kind of question perspective new recruit ask an recruiter. and recruiters will never volunteer this kind of information. once they get an innocent driver into the company truck, all signed in and held hostage, then, but only then, will the driver find out that the truck will not provide for heating or cooling while parked.
this is NOT tough luck, it's a well orchestrated operation aimed @ spinning the revolving door.

In these times...I suppose drivers best get educated real quick....the times are a changin....the day of "dumb driver" should be over...BUT from what I hear in TS's and on the road....there is still a lot of "dumb drivers"...just cowboys and gear jammers.....

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Moose you are oh so right... I signed on with Schnieder in 88. Then I learned about their no idle policy. They had Rockwell units in the trucks that would tatletale. It would also tell if you ran over 55 mph. I left SNI promptly and discovered Expediting, I NEVER LOOKED BACK!

Last edited:

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
you left off the IDIOT PREVENTION SENSOR....this week I saw a Swift truck backing up down a sideroad next to I 40 Almost three miles....then I saw a US Express truck turn into a driveway, a household driveway and then attempt to back out, turn around into heavy traffic before a cop came along while he was jack knifed across all four lanes, and yes this type of SENSOR is DUMB....If Im hot or cold Im running the truck, I dont sleep well sweating, or freezing and Ive tried both numerous times....AND YES LETS FORCE THE DISPATCHERS TO WORK 14 HOUR DAYS, and the owner, and those numbskulls at FMCSA, and CONGRESS...OH I forgot we have a dysfunctional congress that cant get anything done because of there political views, who gives a darn what happens to America.....Politicians, the bean counters,dispatchers and the rest of the Ambient sensor crowd never drove in a blizzard, or Tornado, never risked life and limb for the HOT LOAD, never laid in a bed and sweat or froze so my feeling is they can all Kiss my GRITS....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think if you own the truck you should be able to put whatever sensors in there you want, including ambient sensors.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just the other day while taking a rest break, I walked past a rig and heard the unmistakable sound of a single-cylinder engine on the truck. It wasn't a refrigerated rig, besides those make a different noise anyway. Sure enough, the guy had an auxiliary power unit on the other side of the tractor, and that was running to keep lights on and the air conditioner working in the sleeper. Seems the idea of not idling the main engine is catching on, whether by law or by the fact that the main powerplant doesn't need to burn fuel and wear itself out just sitting I don't know-- but it's happening more all the time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My brain sensor prevents me from risking my life on any load, no matter its temperature.
My brain sensor broke, hence I am en expediter who risks his life daily (well, a couple of times a week, anyway) delivering loads.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I think if you own the truck you should be able to put whatever sensors in there you want, including ambient sensors.
No they'r not.
as an experienced consumers of past sensors we all know so very well, that they will not stay only in their own trucks, but soon enough them ambient sensors will go the way prehistoric sensors alike went so many times.
if they keep it in their own trucks that fine, but it will never happen.
before you know it, the word 'mandate' will be presented to congress, NTHSA, NITZA, FMCSA, NTSB, CVSA & other small business harmful organizations.
don't believe it ?
look up ABS units, and see how it led to the Bendix 'mandated active stability control' BS.
look up smart-way.
active cruise control .
if they only kept Elogs to themselves we wont have a problem, but they did not.
same goe's to speed limiters, it was fine till they started lobbying for a mandate, and now it becomes a problem for all of us.
look up their praising of 'lane departure sensors' and how they try to force it on EOM's.
see what they are doing to LCV's...
all in the names of so called safety, efficiency, and the environment .
ya'h right.
we all know what they are after.
it called 'mandating products' by manufacturers.
and 'eliminating competition by regulations' by large carriers.
excuse me for not trusting them to keep it to themselves.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Follow the money. A company invents a gadget oone wants or needs. Like the Bluetooth, Noone wanted them. So the cell phone companies lobbied congress and its law.

Besides an O.E.M.s and dealerships stand to make allot of money on the extra build, maintenance, Dealer parts installers guesswork and dealer only replacement parts including the ones you didnt need after all.

BobWolf