Ambassador Bridge Security changes

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Has anyone had trouble crossing into Canada since new regulations took effect on April 1st?

I was told that my PARs had not cleared and send to secondary inspection point. There, I was given a warning and told that your PARs must clear before you arrive at the bridge. That could be big trouble if the broker is Livingston.

What does anyone know about the Ambassador Bridge Security and Service Initative?

Road Hooligan

vandriver101

Seasoned Expediter
Hi,
I had a problem with paps clearing,customs held me up for 2 1/2 hours,finaly after going to the broker(fed ex)and going to the customs department they did clear me.The reason for not clearing me was my plate didnt match my trip #.I never had this problem with the sarnia side.
O/O B unit Panther #11514 Since 03/06

are12

Expert Expediter
I thought this started a while ago, that if your paperwork was not in order, that you can be sent back to Canada until it clears.

The best thing to do, is always call the broker before getting to the border - to make sure the paperwork has cleared. It will save you alot of time and aggravation. You may even want to call the broker about 15 minutes after the paperwork is faxed - just to be sure they received it. (learned that from experience)

Good luck!!

vandriver101

Seasoned Expediter
>I thought this started a while ago, that if your paperwork
>was not in order, that you can be sent back to Canada until
>it clears.
>
>The best thing to do, is always call the broker before
>getting to the border - to make sure the paperwork has
>cleared. It will save you alot of time and aggravation. You
>may even want to call the broker about 15 minutes after the
>paperwork is faxed - just to be sure they received it.
>(learned that from experience)
>
>Good luck!!

The paper work was all in order and I called the broker(fed>ex) and they told me it was clear.The 2 1/2 hour circus show at the border was outrageous,6 customs agents later the load was cleared with a explanation that ace made a mistake and didnt put my plate # with the trip #.I to have learned from prior events to not trust the shipper with faxing over all the paper work and to also call the broker to make sure they recieved and cleared the load!!!
O/O B unit Panther #11514 Since 03/06

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I was told PARS had to be cleared through customs before you reach the Canadian border at Windsor. <- PERIOD Don't go to the border unless you were told it had cleared.
It seems trucks that hadn't had their loads cleared weren't going directly to the warehouse for clearing. Illegal transfers and unloadings were being done without loads being cleared. The seven block drive to the customs warehouse was the glitch in their sysytem. They are building a new facility at the border.
My understanding is the driver is responsible for making sure the load is cleared. I wouldn't assume the faxes were sent by the shipper. I send the fax from the shipping office if possible, (StAples or Fedex Kinkos [79 cents a sheet] are good spots to fax from). I call the broker in twenty minutes after the fax confirmation. If it is cleared for customs I move, if it isn't I wait on US soil. This system works and their isn't much of a problem. But remember you always must call the broker to verify your load has cleared.
PARS is a preauthorized release for freight going into Canada. PAPS was loads going into the US. Systems change like the weather, keep up with the changes or refuse the loads.
This is all based on what I thought I knew yesterday...

MSinger

Expert Expediter
That is precisely why I refuse to do any Canadian runs. Nothing but a ##### hassle. Then coming back across to your home country you are treated like crap from a ##### rent-a-cop with an attitude.

What part of North American Free Trade Agreement do they not understand???

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
I've had absolutlely no problem with the new ViaSafe paperwork clearing...the Ace was to much paperwork and worked well 2 or 3 times but started going downhill quick. This last ViaSafe was cleared within an hour after leaving the shipper, with a 3 hr drive still to go to the border. I give dispatch my paps#, they check for me, send me my entry #, and tell me what time I'm able to cross.

you need that entry # to cross...don't forget that!!!!!!!!!!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
ViaSafe is one of many options for the responsible party of the shipment, we as carriers have no control over what the shipper selects. but ViaSafe seems to have moved the process forward by streamlining it better than most.

The actual process takes only about ten to twenty minutes to return a confirmation number. I was visiting at a couple brokers for a couple days each last year to see what it is all about and they took me through process for both sides of the border. Most of the issues I have been told have to do with either collection of the fees (responsible company has bad credit) or the classification is incorrect when they start the process. Oh the other problem is the personal who sit on their a** taking their time to get the info processed.

Yesterday my shippment into Canada cleared quick for some reason. They held everyone up at Canadian customs for some reason - got an official that didn't say much which was unusual - but got through.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
ViaSafe is for coming OUT of Canada loaded. You still use the pars method going into Canada. You used to be able to go to Windsor and use A8A or run into broker if Pars had not cleared and that is what they changed about entry INTO Canada...now you have to do the same as if you were leaving Canada...US govt has required loads cleared prior to entering customs for a long time now...now the Canadaian govt is requiring it also. Personally I think it is a governmental tit for tat going on.

-Charlotte

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Ok do we need an entry number for clearing PARS into Canada?I know I need it for clearing PAPS into the USA but do I have to have one for PARS? If so do I write it on the customs invoice or are there more sheets to fax now?

The last time I cleared a PARS the system was down and the broker gave me an entry number, but I not sure if that was because of the computers being down or a full time requirement.

tonymcc

Expert Expediter
We just two days ago went to ON on the Peace Bridge. We did PARS exactly as we always have ... no change. There was no problem. We faxed our stuff to the broker, called the broker to see if it was cleared ... just as before.

Tony
Panther Elite

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Hi
>
>Ok do we need an entry number for clearing PARS into
>Canada?I know I need it for clearing PAPS into the USA but
>do I have to have one for PARS? If so do I write it on the
>customs invoice or are there more sheets to fax now?
>
>The last time I cleared a PARS the system was down and the
>broker gave me an entry number, but I not sure if that was
>because of the computers being down or a full time
>requirement.

NO
You do not need an entry number to clear with PARS.
Your carrier code and bar code are the only numbers you need.
The entry number is another unique number assigened by the Broker.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>We just two days ago went to ON on the Peace Bridge. We did
>PARS exactly as we always have ... no change. There was no
>problem. We faxed our stuff to the broker, called the broker
>to see if it was cleared ... just as before.
>
>Tony
>Panther Elite

The new "Pilot Program" is at the Ambassador Bridge only. There is no change at the Peace Bridge or any other border crossing point.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>ViaSafe is for coming OUT of Canada loaded. You still use
>the pars method going into Canada. You used to be able to
>go to Windsor and use A8A or run into broker if Pars had not
>cleared and that is what they changed about entry INTO
>Canada...now you have to do the same as if you were leaving
>Canada...US govt has required loads cleared prior to
>entering customs for a long time now...now the Canadaian
>govt is requiring it also. Personally I think it is a
>governmental tit for tat going on.
>
>
>-Charlotte

The CBSA is trying to get everything on an EDI format.
That is the only change; it does however create more work up front for the Broker. All the invoice must be input for Customs to make their release decision.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A word of warning for ViaSafe and loads coming into the US:

If you renew your plate registration and are issued a new license plate, make absolutely 100% stone cold sure that ViaSafe has your new plate in their system before you even accept a load out of Canada.

Putting your new plate on the ViaSafe cover sheet won't cut it. It'll be ignored. ViaSafe keys in your truck number into their system, and everything else about you comes from what they already have in their database, including CDL number, plate number, cell phone number, your name, everything. Their database is updated by your carrier, not by you, and no amount of whining by you over the phone to ViaSafe will get anything changed in the database.

US Customs has everything about the cleared load keyed to your license plate. They enter your plate into their system and up pops everything about you and the load you are hauling. If you have a different plate on your vehicle than the one used by ViaSafe to clear the load, Customs won't find you in the system.

Third week in March I renewed my registration and received a new plate for the van which was a different plate number. That very day I e-mailed a copy of the registration to my carrier (Meow) and called to confirm it being received. A week later I got a load out of Canada crossing at Port Huron. The Customs booth guy can't find me in the system, so I got send to Secondary. They can't find me, either, sent me to broker. Broker says it's cleared and in the system, Customs says otherwise. Back and forth, on phone, back and forth, on phone, you know the drill. Customs even went as far as rebooting the entire computer system trying to find me in it. They were looking it up by name, SS#, VIN, CDL#, shoe size, you name it, nada.

Finally, after hearing the guard mention that everything is tied to the license plate, I took a shot and gave him my old plate number. Magic! "Bingo! There it is! It's under a different plate!", he exclaimed loud enough for everyone to hear. And.... every well-armed Rambo in the building suddenly took a keen interested in me.

After the van received a full-body cavity search and being told never to let this happen again, I was sent on my way, after a NINE HOUR delay. Nine hours.

A few hours later, at 9AM, I called in to my feline friends and expressed my, uhm, displeasure. After a time, I was assured that the new plate was updated in the system, and was repeatedly assured that it would not happen again.

Three weeks later it happened again.

At least this time I was more aware of the problem when I got to the booth, and told the guard to search under my old plate, as I handed her my ViaSafe cover sheet, and my old and new vehicle registration. She reiterated just how important it was not to let this happen a third time, telling me that I could very well be put in a situation where I'd be denied entry into the US in any manner other than on foot, but not to worry, that they'd keep a real close eye on my van until, and if, they decided to give it back to me. Nice.

I made another call to the noir leopard to inquire how such a thing could have happened, and to express my shock and dismay. Well, it seems that it's quite complicated to change a single field in a database. And it apparently requires much research to figure out how to do it. Sooo, until they can manage to conquer this monumental task, in order to be absolutely sure that it won't happen again until they can be absolutely sure that my plate number is updated in the system, they flagged me for No-Canada.

Oh, the irony, in that in order to flag me for No-Canada, they had to change a database field to do it. <giggle>

Finally, on Incompetence Watch: Day 32, (I kept them updated on the daily count, lest it slip their mind), I explained that the biggest problem was that I knew a thing or two about computers and that I knew just... how... easy... of a fix it was, and that I was flabbergasted that it wasn't fixed within 5 minutes of getting the e-mail, and utterly dumbfounded that it still wasn't fixed after 32 days and two border delays.

In short order, whether it was in the wake of Virginia Tech or they were able to grasp my frustration, displeasure and total awe of the situation, they managed to update that single database field in about 2 minutes, and that included putting me on hold twice to check with other people, and logging on to the carrier page at ViaSafe and updating it there, as well. Amazing!

Bottom line, if you get a new plate, make them confirm to you that it has, in fact, been updated at ViaSafe, and then call ViaSafe and confirm it yourself.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
Thanks Turtle for your input on what might have eventually been a tragedy for others. I certainly appreciate it. Very well written and humorous. I wonder how a multi-tasking, dedicated border crossing, paper handling, dispatcher could have helped?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I wonder how a multi-tasking, dedicated border crossing, paper handling, dispatcher could have helped?

Hard to say. If they have the same high level of competence as the person in charge of database changes, I have my doubts. hehe

However, the person who actually made the changes, despite it not being his job, was a dispatch supervisor. So there is hope.