Aircard or WiFi Contract

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I deduct my monthly cell phone bill as a business expense as I am required to have a cell phone. What about monthly aircard expenses or a yearly WiFi contract. More and more information from my carrier is disseminated via the internet. On the road this requires a wireless connection. Are aircard fees and WiFi contracts a legitmate tax deduction?

greywolf184

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I deduct my monthly cell phone bill as a business expense as I am required to have a cell phone. What about monthly aircard expenses or a yearly WiFi contract. More and more information from my carrier is disseminated via the internet. On the road this requires a wireless connection. Are aircard fees and WiFi contracts a legitmate tax deduction?
I also would like to know the same thing.I was told if it is used for sending in your paperwork you can deduct it, but I don't know for sure.

are12

Expert Expediter
I was told by my accountant, that you can deduct your WiFi/aircard expenses since it is used for business.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I believe you can only deduct the total bill for a cell phone or a wireless card if you can convince the IRS the use was 100% for business . If you have personal calls on the phone or use the computer for personal messages you are only allowed a partial deduction .

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I have two cell phones and an Air Card.

I deduct 100% for them.

I have a landline for personal calls, and my DSL, at home. This indicates to the IRS that I have made the necessary arrangements to keep my business and personal communications separated; hence, no conflict of interest. ;)

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Cell Phones and air cards are deductible if they are use over 50% business, and have to be deducted on a pro rated or percentage of use.

the normal rule of thumb on this subject is that the Air Card would be completely deducted but the Cell phone that you use for both personal and business would be broken down normaly 85-90% Business,

You can show it on the tax return Sch C Part V, Other Expences, this way

Cell phone, $ xxx.xx at 85% then the total would be entered in the appropreiate line.

Or if you have 2 phones then only 1 can be used as a business deduction in full. , If you are a husband and wife team, still only one can be deducted as business.

Frank

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matters addressed herein.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
dave,

are the cells used for business or is one business and the other personal? are they on the same plan?
frank
we have 3 phones on one plan. the son has one and wife and i have 1 ea. if wife and i team would it be better to split the current work phone, mine, to a seperate plan?