Air tabs on cargo vans?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The bigger and boxier, the more dramatic the difference, for the reasons listed in that incredibly well written and informative article linked above. :D

I guess I will have to read the article then.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I guess I will have to read the article then.
Actually, the very last paragraph in the article is really all you need to read. It tells you everything you need to know.

Except that, the Air Tabs will pay for themselves in about 4-6 months.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
30 to 50 a week that an awful lot how are you figuring that?
Wild guess, gotta be. Saving $30-$50 a week would translate into buying $1500-$2500 in fuel every week for highway miles. It's more like $25-$35 a month.

Air Tabs are $2.75 each (were $2.50 each at the time I got mine). The bigger the vehicle the more you'll need, but the fuel savings percentages are more or less consistent across vehicle types if you install the recommended number at the recommended intervals (3 per linear foot, or every 4 inches on center). The fuel savings is between 2% and 5% depending on how fast you drive and the vehicle. A Sprinter or cargo van (without a right-angle, boxy rear end) will see closer to the 2% while a boxy truck will realize more drag reduction and will see 3%-4%, while a tractor-trailer with Air Tabs on both the tractor and the trailer will see that 5% savings.

I've got 30 on my Sprinter, that's $82.50 ($75 when I got mine). It took just about 4 months for that initial investment to be recovered in fuel savings. If you spend $100 on fuel, the Air Tabs will save you about two bucks on that fuel, give or take. So it's not an "OMG look how much fuel I'm saving!" kinda thing. But it adds up over time.

The first 4 months I had them it was a wash since they were paying for themselves. The 72 months since then have saved me about $25 a month.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I've had them on my D unit and 3 C/Vans. I put them on when I first got the trucks so I can't say about fuel mileage but I will say they definatley help with handling.

On the other hand if you were to ask Air Products company who manufacture and haul Cryogenics, they have them on all their tanks. All out of Atlanta I can't say the whole country. If they spent that kind of money, they work. :cool:

denny2010

Expert Expediter
I got them on my camper...makes a big deal hauling that thing around.30 ft travel toy hauler..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yep. 2% of 17 MPG is .34 MPG, and 2% is what you're likely to get in a van.

The biggest benefits for my money is the better handling when passing or getting passed by a big truck, the cleaner rear doors, and the better rear vision in the mirrors in wet road conditions. To me, Air Tabs are worth it for those benefits alone. The slight increase in fuel mileage is a bonus.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Ok, cool. With about .33 mpg saved that would add up. This week I only did about 2500 miles. Last week was about 4000 and the week before was closer to 4500 miles. I've had some big weeks lately. So at 3500 miles, $3.50 per gallon, 17.0 to 17.33 mpg move, I'd save $14 per week.
I like that payback schedule with the added benefit of improved handling and safety.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bottom line it saves a few bucks now and then and it does improve handling and visibility to the rear.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But how much does one pay to ugly up their van?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, cool. With about .33 mpg saved that would add up. This week I only did about 2500 miles. Last week was about 4000 and the week before was closer to 4500 miles. I've had some big weeks lately. So at 3500 miles, $3.50 per gallon, 17.0 to 17.33 mpg move, I'd save $14 per week.
I like that payback schedule with the added benefit of improved handling and safety.

Wow..look at all them gross $4,000 paychecks! For a CV driver no less.....hahahaa

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I put Air Tabs on my Sprinter and then stood back and looked at it and said, "Nope. Didn't help. It's still butt-ugly."

guido4475

Not a Member
I got them on my camper...makes a big deal hauling that thing around.30 ft travel toy hauler..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

I have seen them on new Prevost type coaches on the lot when I look at them. Painted the same color of the coach. I figure if they put the airtabs on a 1-2 million dollar vehicle, they must work. I also have noticed alot of Ryder lease semi tractors with them on as well. Along with LED headlights. Which I am seriously considering, but am curious if they get hot enough to melt the snow off of them. They're about 200 bucks a piece.But bright.And high and low beam, unlike the ballast-type powered headlights on the market.I am wondering if they would do anything if I put them along the outer edges of the roof, front to back.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have seen them on new Prevost type coaches on the lot when I look at them. Painted the same color of the coach. I figure if they put the airtabs on a 1-2 million dollar vehicle, they must work. I also have noticed alot of Ryder lease semi tractors with them on as well. Along with LED headlights. Which I am seriously considering, but am curious if they get hot enough to melt the snow off of them. They're about 200 bucks a piece.But bright.And high and low beam, unlike the ballast-type powered headlights on the market.I am wondering if they would do anything if I put them along the outer edges of the roof, front to back.

You should. It's hard to see your truck at night.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
On second thought, OVM, you're right. I'll delete my last post. I have not consistently generated that revenue and miles. And I should get my odometer checked. Somehow since buying it on 8/6/12 it has racked up 113,500 more miles. Although, I do deadhead home more than anyone on here.
My bad, dude.