Age of Women Driver's

jecrdt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi,

I was wondering at what age do you think a woman driver is too old to be out there driving truck? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is not set age for anyone, man or women, that determines when they should hang up their keys. It is an individual issue based on that persons physical and mental capabilities.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have talked with women drivers in their 70's driving tractor trailers solo still loving life and what they are doing.

We met a women at USX that had about six weeks till she could retire and she was SO excited... About a year later we saw this same women again at a USX terminal, she had retired, could not stand not going anywhere, and hired back on.

The age to retire from driving in a personal thing and being able to start driving is learning what you and cannot do.

jecrdt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thank you for your input. I had to come off the road in 2010 to take care of my mother and I am now 61 years old and I am missing the road. My mother is doing well now and I'm thinking about going back out. I had just never paid attention to what age other women may be out there. Didn't know if the age would be a factor to get hired on with a company or not. Thanks for the replies.

noneya

Active Expediter
Thank you for your input. I had to come off the road in 2010 to take care of my mother and I am now 61 years old and I am missing the road. My mother is doing well now and I'm thinking about going back out. I had just never paid attention to what age other women may be out there. Didn't know if the age would be a factor to get hired on with a company or not. Thanks for the replies.

If you want to get back out there, go for it!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There's a lady, probably 65 doing the O/O thing at Trl Transit.
She had been running with her husband on a convoy load. Her husband had been flirting with another female driver. When Barb came out of shower the suspects where missing and the female's truck was "rockin".
Barb thru his suitcases in the parking lot and drove away.
Last I saw her,maybe 6 years ago, she had just bought a newer truck and was still running solo.
Remember, you're only as old as you feel.

noneya

Active Expediter
There's a lady, probably 65 doing the O/O thing at Trl Transit.
She had been running with her husband on a convoy load. Her husband had been flirting with another female driver. When Barb came out of shower the suspects where missing and the female's truck was "rockin".
Barb thru his suitcases in the parking lot and drove away.
Last I saw her,maybe 6 years ago, she had just bought a newer truck and was still running solo.
Remember, you're only as old as you feel.

Good for her! I would've threw his crap out and left his arse there with that hoe too.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you've been out long enough that you'll have to retrain, find a carrier that will put you with a female trainer.
Or, if you want to expedite, call female drivers available on this website's classified section.

jecrdt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was with Landstar (LEA) for several years driving Class 8 straight truck when I had to come off the road. Don't know what I'll have to do with LEA now since it has been 3 years. I wanted to find out about the age thing and how women do in this age group. Didn't know if maybe I was getting too old or not. Feel good, good health, but have found going to bed every night and sleeping all night long is pretty good. lol Just wanted input before I call LEA. All of you have been really nice. Appreciate your help!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I had to laugh when I read some of these. Last year when I renewed my CDL I was seated in front of the counter where a lady in her upper 70's maybe even 80's was attempting to read the letters in the eye tester. Quote. "This Machine is broken I can't see any letters honey." After going to three different machines the lady behind the counter asked her if she could see any S's. She said yes ma'am I can see a lot of them. She renewed her license. True story. I was in shock.
I think as long as you vote you can drive.