advise on gps systems

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
seen a previous post and wondered if anyone had these, and what is the monthly service fee to track your vehicle? Had one in a rental car and it worked well...not sure on a big truck though.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you have a laptop, check out delorme software and gps. Get the deluxe version. I use it and say its about 97% acurate. Why rent when you can buy it. Also a write off on taxes. With stand alone GPS systems, the screen is pretty small. My laptop screen is pretty good size and adjustable. Good luck
Randy:)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have garmin gps system helps out a lot also have delorme mapping
system to new deluxe is not as easy to use as old ones have to practice more i guest, nice thing about it it shows you where you are at and now no longer lost just don't know how to get there from
here sometimes now

DryRun

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I've been using Delorme Street Atlas for the past 3 or 4 years now, in tandem with their Earthmate GPS receiver. Althought I had to replace the receiver this year ($80), the software works fine with my Dell Inspiron laptop. Most laptops have the memory and processing power to make the software function well. Note that I drive a "B" unit, and don't have to worry about clearances and weight restrictions, which this software does not support.

You can get other receivers to go with the Delorme software, but I haven't used them. Right now I'm trying out a device from [http://byonics.com/], which allows you to use the Earthmate with Microsoft Streets and Trips 2002. The result isn't as accurate as with Street Atlas. It only indicates your position every 15 seconds, vs. the instant gratificaton Street Atlas offers.

Geo, I agree the Deluxe version is a little clunky, as I'm used to using keyboard shortcuts, which I don't think Deluxe offers. And as far as voice recognition software is concerned, the relatively noisy truck cab environment might make for some headaches. I went back to SA version 9.

Finally, I decided to go the laptop/mapping software route vs the GPS systems because $-wise and practical-wise, a laptop offers more in the way of trucker user software, not to mention some great games;)

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I purchased the Delorme Street Atlas and GPS before I started truckin' in 1998, so I have never been in a truck without moving map with GPS capability. I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be without this great mapping assistance. I go to NY and NJ a lot, and it certainly is nice when the freeways jam up to be able to find an alternative route quickly and easily (like near the GWB). Also, if you make a wrong turn, or if construction or heavy traffic are a problem, you can command the program to take you to your destination from where you are now.

Street Atlas only covers the US, so if you are going to Canada you will also need the Map n' Go, which does cover Canada and the US, but not as detailed.

The DeLorme Street Atlas and GPS can be purchased at most major electronic retailers, like Best Buy. The last time I checked, the combo package was about $150.

Because DeLorme is not designed for truckers, you will have rare ocassions when the program wants to send you on restricted roads, or under low bridges. However, the assistance offered by the map program and GPS is 98% - 99% good.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Mike,

Does the GPS still work when you are downtown...Manhatten?

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The GPS works intermittently in Manhattan. I have had deliveries at 38th Street and 8th Ave, the NY downtown postoffice (near the Javits Center) and I was able to track my movement most of the time. If there are too many tall buildings you can lose the signal some of the time.
Fortunately, I go into the heart of Manhattan very seldom. I do get into the Bronx, Statten Island, various Long Island communities, and Newark, NJ area often.