Advise on Cargo Van "vs" Staright Truck?

rf1712

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Guys.
Assuming you had the money to purchase a really good used or new vehicle...
which would you say had the greatest potential for a solo, staying out at least 3 weeks at a time? I know there are maintenance and fuel variables.
I have a haz mat - twic - passport with fast pass and would get a lift-gate if I got a ST. I undrstand the rule of 1/3's

Done some private expediting occasionally and understand the waiting and "knee jerk reaction" load offers. Would have my ladyfriend just riding with me sometimes. Fed Ex goes into my area alot so it would probably be them...maybe.

I live in Connecticut - yes I know - I'm **** yankee!!!!!

Your opinion matters alot since you have been doing this for a while in all types of vehicles. I have no debt and no big family ties. So what would choose and why? Thanks so much for your help. :confused:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It depends on your need for income and tolerance for aggravation [for lack of a batter word]. As the vehicle size increases, so does the income - but so does the aggravation. You have the most freedom in a van/Sprinter, but the lowest income. [Generally speaking - a Sprinter driven by a knowledgeable and ambitious driver could absolutely do better than a S/T driven by a lazy and careless driver].
Everything's a tradeoff, so you choose your own priorities, [speed, comfort, revenue, freedom to sightsee] and you choose the vehicle that suits your purpose.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If passengers are a priority, don't forget to ask recruiters about the carrier's policy, because it varies.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I drive a sprinter and think I do okay. I get 40% of the line haul, and when I drop a load off I can cruise around and not have to worry about time restrictions or a place to park. That being said I'm fairly sure that a st would be a nicer place to spend my down time than in the back of a van lol. Since I'm still working out my sleeper arrangement and learning the business the sprinter is awesome. Space is at a premium especially if I'm driving in a team like I am currently. But I'm sure there's trade off both ways.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Hi Guys.
Assuming you had the money to purchase a really good used or new vehicle...
which would you say had the greatest potential for a solo, staying out at least 3 weeks at a time? I know there are maintenance and fuel variables.
I have a haz mat - twic - passport with fast pass and would get a lift-gate if I got a ST. I undrstand the rule of 1/3's

Done some private expediting occasionally and understand the waiting and "knee jerk reaction" load offers. Would have my ladyfriend just riding with me sometimes. Fed Ex goes into my area alot so it would probably be them...maybe.

I live in Connecticut - yes I know - I'm **** yankee!!!!!

Your opinion matters alot since you have been doing this for a while in all types of vehicles. I have no debt and no big family ties. So what would choose and why? Thanks so much for your help. :confused:

Me,I would go S/T or T/T, I would avoid Sprinters and Vans.FedEx has a rider policy,and you could do ok being out of CT. I would honestly drive for a Fleet owner for a while before investing in a truck of any kind. Owning is the way to go,but I know a couple of people that changed there minds about Expediting after buying a truck and had to get someone to drive for them. One of those people even teamed with a friend for 6 months before buying and a year later hired me to drive.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive a cargo van-- a standard Chevy 2500 series-- and to be truthful after reading everything here, even if I could get into a straight truck I'm thinking I'm happier in the van. Sure you make less money, but you spend less too and unless you're hauling haz-mat in an amount that has to be placarded you don't have to mess with the DOT rules and regs. Now, some of those rules make sense-- so much so that I abide by them even though the law doesn't require it-- but some of those rules were written by desk-bound bureaucrats who never had a single hour behind the wheel of anything larger than a minivan, and they exercise power ruthlessly over experienced tt drivers. So-- even if God worked a miracle-- I think I'm happy enough where I'm at though of course I wouldn't turn down a chance to make a bit more money.

rf1712

Seasoned Expediter
So you are a solo or no?
What would you buy for a straight?
Freightliner with less than 350,000 miles on it and liftgate?
What will maximize my opportunity?

rf1712

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks...Ive been reading alot of your posts elsewhere.
You give great feedback.
Thanks so much.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As Rumrunner said, most people considering expediting are advised to drive for an owner first, to see whether they can handle it - we don't do much 'drop & hook'. We drop and wait, and the waiting can drive some people over the bend.
I didn't suggest it, because the OP indicates some knowledge of expediting, asking only whether to buy a truck or van.
Most will agree that the more qualifications [FAST card, hazmat] and equipment [liftgate] the more opportunities - and the higher rate per mile, with most carriers. If you go that route, I'd be careful to choose a carrier that can really use it all, because if they can't, you could find the lesser paid vehicles being dispatched ahead of yours, while they save you for someone who needs what you've got. Just another factor to consider...

guido4475

Not a Member
It depends on your need for income and tolerance for aggravation [for lack of a batter word]. As the vehicle size increases, so does the income - but so does the aggravation. You have the most freedom in a van/Sprinter, but the lowest income. [Generally speaking - a Sprinter driven by a knowledgeable and ambitious driver could absolutely do better than a S/T driven by a lazy and careless driver].
Everything's a tradeoff, so you choose your own priorities, [speed, comfort, revenue, freedom to sightsee] and you choose the vehicle that suits your purpose.

Not necessarily true, as far as the smaller the vehicle,the less the income. I have never made the kind of money in a straight that I make in a van. The pay isn't that much different between the two, but the costs of ownership are. Tin can? I'd take my 12 ft sleeper over a straight sleeper anyday...The freedom of a van...the lack of logs...dot...scales...add to the benefits of a van anyday in my book....I'm curious to see how many straights are going to change their views on a van once the electronic logs are required? Income potential control, in other words....

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Not necessarily true, as far as the smaller the vehicle,the less the income. I have never made the kind of money in a straight that I make in a van. The pay isn't that much different between the two, but the costs of ownership are. Tin can? I'd take my 12 ft sleeper over a straight sleeper anyday...The freedom of a van...the lack of logs...dot...scales...add to the benefits of a van anyday in my book....I'm curious to see how many straights are going to change their views on a van once the electronic logs are required? Income potential control, in other words....

I run elogs by choice, really like them myself. So much easier to stay compliant.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yep, it's easier to be compliant with elogs, and compliance is what FMCSA is after. If there were any proof at all that compliance equals safety, I'd agree, but I'm pretty skeptical.
The original suggestion from FMCSA, that those carriers & drivers with a history of bad behavior be forced to install elogs made a lot of sense: punish the guilty, not everyone else. Clearly, the guilty [some big hitters in the ATA] didn't like that, and suggested that if elogs are good, everyone should have them. They won, we lose.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
LOGS never really made the difference for me, Ive logged and done paper logs and now e logs as well, I keep them on my smartphone....I prefer the room to stand up. while that may not make a difference, on the snowy blustery rainy day you cant get out to stretch, you can in a sleeper, I have never even considered crawling around in a van, Unless it was when I was 18 and she was pretty and we were parked, But thats another whole story....

Ive had very little problem finding places to park, I usually find a Lowes, they have free wifi, restaurants are always nearby, and you can always go in the store and take a long walk....Ive gotten around most places in the ST8 and been able to see tourist and scenic spots if Im unloaded...I dont know If I would add a Liftgate unless you are planning on doing the Loading/Unloading kinda freight, If you dont mind that and they need a LIFT, if not you save considerable weight WITHOUT the Lift...

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Oh they were ,they were! Pearl pro and I lived a very silliest life style! Just not with each other! Haha

Driving a van in "semi" rural Kentucky in the late 2000's equals no action lol. Plus y'all got bell bottom pants, we got skinny jeans