Advice on Purchasing First Box Truck

SoCalGaming

Rookie Expediter
@Moot - Thanks for the advice, I like that vehicle! Where can I find it? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

And yepp, pretty much looking for a vehicle with the best MPG and at least 550+ cubic feet of storage that is less than 10,000 GVWR. Any advice would be perfect guys!!

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
@Moot - Thanks for the advice, I like that vehicle! Where can I find it? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

And yepp, pretty much looking for a vehicle with the best MPG and at least 550+ cubic feet of storage that is less than 10,000 GVWR. Any advice would be perfect guys!!

Check on truckpaper.com .... Light duty vehicles. You'll find some ....

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5131621

Gasser is not the best choice for longevity, but, perhaps not terribly significant for your intended scope of work ....

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
This truck is 10,000. Would I need a DOT Number?

Negative ... 10,000 Lbs or less GVWR is the way the rule is written. As others have said, checking the door stickers is very important. Anything you consider to buy should be weighed empty with a driver in the seat and fully fueled to determine what kind of payload you can legally handle.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
As I recall, I think those $printer cab/chassis were rated @ 10,200 GVW, even though the van bodies were rated @ 9,990 GVW. Make SURE of what the door sticker says, maybe by requesting a picture of the door sticker.

Sent from my SM-N900V using EO Forums mobile app

SoCalGaming

Rookie Expediter
As I recall, I think those $printer cab/chassis were rated @ 10,200 GVW, even though the van bodies were rated @ 9,990 GVW. Make SURE of what the door sticker says, maybe by requesting a picture of the door sticker.

Sent from my SM-N900V using EO Forums mobile app

Is there a certain logo, color or object that I need to look for? Have an example? Or is it just the GVW #?

I've seen 2 sprinter cabs that have been said to be class 2, so hopefully they are!

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Is there a certain logo, color or object that I need to look for? Have an example? Or is it just the GVW #?

I've seen 2 sprinter cabs that have been said to be class 2, so hopefully they are!

In the inside of the drivers door panel is a label with the gvw of the truck and the gvw of the front and rear axle. It's red on my kenworth and silver on my van. Not sure what color it would be on a sprinter but pretty much every vehicle ever made has one. You can even check your own personal car and you'll see it. It just needs to read 10,000lbs or less.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have a 2009 gmc savana cube van, 16ft ex Penske truck, I have car plates on it not truck plates, don't have dot numbers, don't log etc, it is my personal vehicle that I use to haul various freight from various company's. Indiana has weird rules on trucks, but it was told with my plates it's not considered a commercial vehicle. Payload is 4400 pounds

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
Can I get rid of my commercial vehicle insurance if I get car plates?That should save me a lot of $$ too?Between the plates & ins.I should save $2K pretty easy here in Oh.