Advice on Purchasing First Box Truck

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do not see how the weight of the trailer could be ignored.

Zorry, you might be right. I see trucks all the time pulling car haulers and large boats. I thought the trailer carrying its own weight rated plate would be a separate issue. I found this.

DOT Mandates May Apply When Using Trailers

November 1, 2007 | by Joe Bohn

When a Midwestern company bought an out-of-stock Ford F-350 Duallie to pull a small trailer full of training materials, it hardly considered the truck falling subject to federal regulation. Used to operating a large fleet of mostly cars, commercial truck regulations were never a big concern.

Even the company’s Ford Explorer Sport Tracs used to tow trailers fall under the weight limit, which exempts them from Department of Transportation (DOT) commercial operating requirements.

But, after having a driver of its F-350 stopped in Nebraska, pulled over to a weight station, and cited for failing to have a DOT number/decal, the company’s fleet manager learned how easy it is to cross the line into regulation territory.

“We dug into it, got on line with the DOT and started entering all the information required,” says the fleet manager.

“I had to learn all the requirements and regulations for log-keeping, hours on the road, and so forth,” the fleet operator added.

Such experiences aren’t unique. Many fleet managers, particularly those with insurance companies and pharmaceuticals who typically operate cars, are caught off guard when they first begin buying trucks and trailers.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I would stick with renting to stay non-commercial status. The cost of owning could be far greater than renting in the long run, including having to deal with DOT regulations. On top of that, insurance, vehicle maintenance and repairs, they are going to add up. Also thrown the in headaches.

You are on the scheduled shows, if the truck breaks down, it's going to cost you time and money. With rental, I believe that you will get a replacement truck timely.

Since you only need the truck for number of days in a year, I would re-calculate the cost of owning vs renting to see which will give you more advantages.

Since when is renting not a commercial truck venture unless your moving furniture for your house your still doing retail sales of load, I've seen many a rental truck pulled over for dot because they know rentals are skirting the rules!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Agree. A rental truck, used commercially, is still commercial..
A little easier to fly under the radar.

A lot of scales now require Rental and Delivery Trucks to enter open scales.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Still need to stop at port of entries and buy permits in az and nm opening the door to inspections!
Op must be hating us by now!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We just telling him what he may encounter.
Why not tell him the truth ?
Maybe he should put a straight on with a carrier, with the agreement they will book his loads and his driver can run them when logistically possible .

Possibly another profit center....

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
We just telling him what he may encounter.
Why not tell him the truth ?
Maybe he should put a straight on with a carrier, with the agreement they will book his loads and his driver can run them when logistically possible .

Possibly another profit center....

Is the o/p still with us or did he give up on us? I doubt he wanted to hear the truth of what he was doing. I bet he more or less wanted us to say " buy a isuzu box truck and they'll get the best mpg be cost effective and you won't have any cop problems" but it's just not that simple.

I will say that I drove a newer npr about a year ago and was shocked at how smooth it rode and easy it was to drive. We got pretty good mpg too...

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was looking at that Isuzu at the dealer with the $printer.
That's the truck I would be looking at with his business..

Then we got sidetracked onto why the idea may not be a good idea.

He never said how much he brings back. A contract carrier arrangement might be better for him.
Someone like Miss Kat, who will do all his loads at a decent price.
She's too far away to be his answer, but he needs a small carrier.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if shipping it all ups might not be cheaper also trade shows get common carrier shipments at every show ship in a few skids and be done with it

Last edited:

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
To the original poster ... Most of us here operate in a "for-hire" environment. The scenario that you are describing would classify you as a "private carrier" (as long as you restrict your activities to hauling inventory that you own). Private carrier regulations are not as cumbersome to comply with ... I.E. You need a DOT# but don't require operating authority even if your vehicle is + 10,000 GW. Suggest you do some on-line research on private carrier regulations ( both Federal and CA ). As far as the vehicle itself is concerned, I don't think you'll be happy with the cube capacity of a Sprinter. Although as one of the other members suggested, it might make sense to use a van in combination with a small trailer. The van would probably be ideal for your local stuff, and when you need to hit the road the trailer is an easy bolt-on.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since when is renting not a commercial truck venture unless your moving furniture for your house your still doing retail sales of load, I've seen many a rental truck pulled over for dot because they know rentals are skirting the rules!

I'm not real clear as far as hauling your business stuff with an intent for sale. As far as u hual truck rental, on their website, stated that all their rental trucks and trailer are considered non commercial and all you required is class C.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
How many trucks would ucrawl Ryder and Penske rent if they told everyone to do inspections ,logs, and to go get a medical card before they can rent a truck??? Household goods of your own are excepted! Uship drivers are probably the most law breakers around!

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
Yes,try pulling a truck & trailer now days,they go by combo weight & when your over 10,001 lbs. you better have a logbook,Dot#,med card & Dot inspection sticker on truck & trailer.You MIGHT get lucky & get away with it I know people that do but I was busted in IA 6 yrs ago w/a 3/4Ton Dodge w/a 20' traler & was taught what you need & got legal since that little learnibg experience cost me over $350.00.
So now I drive a straight truck under 26k w/a airide that works better for me.

SoCalGaming

Rookie Expediter
I am so confused. How many times do I need to state this. The combined weight of the vehicle and freight when full will not be over 10,000 lbs....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Just check the sticker on the door jam.
If under 10,000 gvw, you're good to go.

Being a dual wheel rear, it may be higher.

There are many $printer threads on here telling of the good/bad of the $printer.
More good than bad when properly maintained.

From what little I know I think the most important thing is to use the recommended fluids.

On this sites homepage is a blog called something like 4 Wheelin.
Smart dude. Could be called Life in a $printer.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am so confused. How many times do I need to state this. The combined weight of the vehicle and freight when full will not be over 10,000 lbs....
If that's the case then go for it! Just remember that the truck's GVRW must also be 10,000 lbs. or less. I believe you stated earlier that your merchandise weighed about 3000 lbs. and was on 10 pallets. I'm not sure how you fit 10 pallets in a 14' box. Anyway, you may want to check one of these out: Fiberglass truck bodies

This website doesn't show it, but the CW now comes in a 14' length on a 159" chassis. The GVWR is 9,900. The base curb weight for the chassis is about 5,000 lbs. depending on engine and other options. The 14' box with full swing doors is about 1500 lbs. This may work for you. Something to consider.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I understand what your saying about total load being less than 10k
You just have to now find a truck with a 10k gvw sticker on the inside door from manufacturer and not be over if you buy a truck that's a 12500 gvw and drive it empty you still have all the rules to follow even if it weighs less than 10 k loaded! Keep us posted

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Weren't there some Penske cubes dereated at buildout to 9900lbs ?
Where they single rear tire ?
Looking in the $15-$20,000 range what are his options for staying under 10,000 lbs ?