Advice on Purchasing First Box Truck

zorry

Veteran Expediter
And ask your Lawyer about liabilities of extending your business into other locales.

I thought I read that some LLC's offer little protection outside of the state registered in. I could have misunderstood something there.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's your personal vehicles towing capacity? Half ton truck could easily tow a 14 ft cargo trailer.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would stick with renting to stay non-commercial status. The cost of owning could be far greater than renting in the long run, including having to deal with DOT regulations. On top of that, insurance, vehicle maintenance and repairs, they are going to add up. Also thrown the in headaches.

You are on the scheduled shows, if the truck breaks down, it's going to cost you time and money. With rental, I believe that you will get a replacement truck timely.

Since you only need the truck for number of days in a year, I would re-calculate the cost of owning vs renting to see which will give you more advantages.

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
I think you may be seeing that what looks like a good biz decision on the surface has a lot of under-lying details and requirements. This is a very regulated industry. At some point you have to ask yourself whether you want to be a retailer or a transporter. Wal-Mart contract ships a good deal of their freight, and I would suggest that to you, also. Especially on the longer trips. I think that would take a lot of burden off you and be a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my LG-E980 using EO Forums mobile app

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Abf also does something called u pack u pack the trailer they move it people use it because was cheaper than having Van Lines transport it but then again I think abf average speed while bumping docks is well ill stop there

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

SoCalGaming

Rookie Expediter
Everyone - It literally cost me $1k to rent a vehicle for Salt Lake, let alone a farther trip. We need the vehicle for a week for each show. At 30 shows, that would be 30k. Additionally, I'd like to have a vehicle to use around town, if we start selling to other stores and need to make deliveries.

I didn't come on here to seek business advice from people that know nothing about my business. Everyone we work with has a truck. Everyone drives themselves. If I have to get a commercial vehicle, that's fine, but we'll never be over 10k lbs, so weighing stations shouldn't be an issue.

And at this point, heavily considering just getting a huge sprinter van.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Everyone - It literally cost me $1k to rent a vehicle for Salt Lake, let alone a farther trip. We need the vehicle for a week for each show. At 30 shows, that would be 30k. Additionally, I'd like to have a vehicle to use around town, if we start selling to other stores and need to make deliveries.

I didn't come on here to seek business advice from people that know nothing about my business. Everyone we work with has a truck. Everyone drives themselves. If I have to get a commercial vehicle, that's fine, but we'll never be over 10k lbs, so weighing stations shouldn't be an issue.

And at this point, heavily considering just getting a huge sprinter van.

From someone that used to do things like your doing now I think $1k is crazy high. You could do a lot better, and I mean a lot better. But if you want to buy that's also a decent move. The truck and trailer idea is probably the least likely to be stopped by cops to inspect. The 10,000 lbs people are referring to isn't your cargo, it's your cargo plus the weight of the truck. They aren't saying you'll be carrying 10,000 lbs of merchandise, but that the truck, fuel, drivers, luggage, etc can easily go over 10,000 lbs. If the biggest sprinter van would do it go for that, if the cargo van described above would do it that's not a bad idea also.

We drive for a living. We only want safe, legal drivers on the road with us. That's why no one on here will embrace or endorse something that we know is illegal or unsafe, no matter how many people at your conventions do it.

SoCalGaming

Rookie Expediter
From someone that used to do things like your doing now I think $1k is crazy high. You could do a lot better, and I mean a lot better. But if you want to buy that's also a decent move. The truck and trailer idea is probably the least likely to be stopped by cops to inspect. The 10,000 lbs people are referring to isn't your cargo, it's your cargo plus the weight of the truck. They aren't saying you'll be carrying 10,000 lbs of merchandise, but that the truck, fuel, drivers, luggage, etc can easily go over 10,000 lbs. If the biggest sprinter van would do it go for that, if the cargo van described above would do it that's not a bad idea also.

We drive for a living. We only want safe, legal drivers on the road with us. That's why no one on here will embrace or endorse something that we know is illegal or unsafe, no matter how many people at your conventions do it.

1k is the price after all the fees/per day rentals. I could get a truck from budget or penske one way each way, but I have to switch trucks, and their vehicles get like 6mpg instead of 12. It's just dumb to throw that much money away.

I understand what the 10k means. I am saying the complete vehicle weight would be under 10k.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Oh yea and if the truck you do buy is rated at over 10kgvw even if it's empty or has little weight on it you still need to follow the rules so if it has a gvw of 12500 and you only weigh in at 9000 you still have to follow the rules , sorry to be the provider of grim news but it's the law!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I've been reading on this thread, seems like a normal GM 3500 or Ford E350 Cargo Van with a 14'-20' trailer would be ideal. Use the trailer for the shows and the cv for your local uses. Insurance would be lower and could easily be used as a daily driver. JMHO

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
From what I've been reading on this thread, seems like a normal GM 3500 or Ford E350 Cargo Van with a 14'-20' trailer would be ideal. Use the trailer for the shows and the cv for your local uses. Insurance would be lower and could easily be used as a daily driver. JMHO

Says the man that has spades of experience hauling Harleys around the country. Makes sense.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Just a question but wouldn't this combo pit you over 10001 faster?

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a question but wouldn't this combo pit you over 10001 faster?

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

He's carrying light freight. Just watch the tongue weight. Should be under the radar for the most part. They can't possibly be including the weight of the trailer in the 10,000 limit. If they do, every pickup truck pulling an enclosed trailer would be overweight.

I used a van to pull a 24' enclosed car hauler for 15+ years. Was way over 10,000 combined weight. Trailer loaded was over 5,000 and never had any problems. Van with tongue weight included was under 10,000.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The cars, yours ?
When he is hauling product to retail, he may be getting into being a private carrier. Like Wal-Mart. Only in a smaller vehicle.
Maybe not small enough.

I'm not sure the rules on this.
My guess that he could blow by the scales. But if stopped, I'd think busted.

I do not see how the weight of the trailer could be ignored.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I pulled a 53' wedge with a 350 dually.
For hire, so regulated.
Trl weight definitely included.
As someone said, he needs to research the "not for hire" threads.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I haul not for hire in my truck when I'm doing my own thing (event sound and lighting) and I'm required to follow all the rules as well as when I'm running for hire so private carrier won't help! 10kgvw is 10k !