Advice for a 22 year old starting with van?

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
It's going to be very hard to make money with a fleet owner. I was actually going to try this so that I could save up enough money to get a new Promaster. I ended up buying an older van (but it did not work out for medical reasons). It is hard to make money after splitting money with an owner and paying for fuel (but only in these current times)! If this was 2005 when my friend Phillip used to clear 3k every two weeks after fuel, I would say go for it! You would actually be making more money back then driving for a fleet owner than you would driving a company tractor trailer. If you're getting 2500 to 3000 miles a week, even at 60 CPM on your cut, you would still be banking money big time. The problem is that you will be sitting too much to average that kind of money right now. With a computer science degree, why not try and find a government job with good benefits and a pension? I used to drive vans because I suffer from social anxiety and prefer to work alone. If you are all good health wise, why not aim higher than a cargo van? Also, with a college degree and driving experience, you can perform any job at one of the bigger trucking companies. You can even become a terminal manager. All terminal managers must have tractor trailer experience. I have seen a CEO on "Undercover Boss" who rose to CEO on merely a 2 year community college degree. That degree you have is like a gold card. You have real world experience and a college education. You need to start marketing yourself better. Also, you might have to re-locate in order to find employment. Don't limit yourself to the van. That is my advice for you. But if you still want to drive a van, just make sure you find a good, decent, and honest owner. Good luck!

I think I have my own social issues. I have always worked solo or night shift jobs so I'm not sure if I have weak people skills. Anyway, I've been in a lousy employment situation while struggling to get into IT. I need to start making money somewhere and possibly I could try computer programming with any spare time I have.

I don't expect to prosper well under a fleet owner, but if I could at least manage my bills, it would still be worth it. Even in my tiny town, I've been told I could try for FedEx Ground if I had 1 year experience within the last 3. I've even been told this by PAM Transport when I called their recruiter than I need recent experience to go back. I currently don't have that because I was in college.

I do plan to basically live in the van and maybe take breaks at friends and relatives places so I wouldn't have any expenses like a house or apartment. I might even discontinue insuring my personal vehicle and store it at my parents' place.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a long tangent in someone else's thread, but having run with Tri-State, I won't be totally unprepared.

Reactions: blizzard2014

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Well, a lot of us are getting out. We've had recent posts from long time expediters saying they're getting out. Some because it's no longer worth it, but in particular those who are faced with it being the time up upgrade to a new vehicle and knowing that is simply not financially feasible to lay out that kind of money for a new vehicle and to outfit it for expediting. They know how easy it is even in good times to suddenly find yourself behind in relentless bank payments, and they don't want anything to do with it during bad times.

Those of us who are staying in it have been doing this for a long time and know how to work the system and manage things to deal with the down times, and most of us learned that hard lesson in 2008, which was a time that took out a snotload expediters.

10 and 15 years ago when things are good, and I mean really, really good, fifty percent of expediters who entered this business with a van were gone within a year, most not even lasting 6 months. Right now it's much worse.

People don't realize that we do 5 years worth of maintenance on our vehicles every year out here. It's an ongoing, never ending thing, and you can't wait until something breaks before fixing it. You have to be out in front of it and fix it before it breaks. It reaches up and slaps people in 6 months or a year and they're totally unprepared for it. Suddenly new brakes or an alternator puts you out of this business, because they don't know their Cost Per Mile and they've been running for rates where they are operating at a loss.

The Rule of Thirds is pretty unforgiving. In the example above at $1370 take-home after fuel isn't even close to the actual take-home. There are other operating expenses beyond fuel. Then a third goes to the truck, you get whatever is left for your third. When rates go below 70 cents your third becomes more like 20% or less.

If your CPM is 45 cents, and you run for 50 cents, then your third is literally 5 cents. But of course you'll take more than that, cause you gotta eat and pay the cell phone bill. You can do that for a little while, a few loads here and there. But it'll catch up to you, and now you need a new radiator and wheel bearings and ball joints and new tires and a water pump and you're screwed.

Everybody thinks they're going to be the exception, they'll do fine. But they invariably overestimate what they will make, usually by about double, and they underestimate their costs, usually by half.

Now if,now if you new folks to be would only listen to Turtle, he ain't blowing smoke in your face, he speaketh truth....many talk in terms of what they gross most always---take out your food,maintenance, and so on from your gross---now you will see realityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Reactions: Turtle

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I say go for it with the van, I got on with a fleet owner and I've been making more money than I ever did with trucks in this "slow season". Maybe I got lucky who knows but I'm glad I didn't take the advice I got on here

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I say go for it with the van, I got on with a fleet owner and I've been making more money than I ever did with trucks in this "slow season". Maybe I got lucky who knows but I'm glad I didn't take the advice I got on here
You're 21 years old and haven't even been driving a van for a month.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
that wasn't really my point....im saying if there's "way too many vans" for everyone to make good money then you all must not be making a lot, its going to come down to how much you like the job wouldn't it? I mean why do you all stay doing this if there's all this crazy competition?

You make a good point. If making "good money" is less important to you than the lifestyle van expediting provides, go for the lifestyle. On the other hand, if making good money is important to you, other choices may be wiser.

Even if money is not important to you, van expediting is a business and money is needed to keep the business afloat. People have a wide variety of beliefs about money. To some it is essential. To others it is something to be avoided. To many it is a necessary evil.

Whatever your view of money may be, if you are in business, the business itself has a view about money that must be respected if the business is to succeed. If you are in a business of any kind, it is important to understand how money really works and to learn how to manage your money well.

From your posts, I gather that you are a headstrong, young man. You demonstrate wisdom by doing the research you have done, and you are going to do what you decide to do even if advised against it. That's all good. The best thing you have going for you is your youth. You have time to learn from and recover from the mistakes you seem unafraid to make.

I say go for it! Jump in! Prove the old guys wrong if you can. While doing so, also be open-minded enough to learn all you can on the path you choose so you will be better prepared when the next choice is made.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He's so new he may not even gotten a check yet.
If so, he's got projected earnings.
Hopefully he's with a good fleet owner that thinks he will get the same income as the OP thinks he'll get.
That's if he even pays the driver.

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cheese and crackers, gull dern kids now a days. 6 month in a tractor/trailer and the OP thinks he/she can just waltz right into being a van driver. Ain't you kids never heared of paying your dues? I spent 20 years in a tractor/trailer working my way up to van ownership. 7 or 8 of those years were in cabovers without any of that fancy high tech stuff like power steering, air conditioning and automatic transmissions. You kids with your video games, mechanical pencils and yoga mats don't know what hard work is. If you are ever in my neighborhood, stay the hell off my lawn, I just mowed it!
I understand your point about paying your dues. Not everyone who has paid their dues has done so in the transportation industry though. Try spending years working anywhere else. Plant closures, corporate downsizing, automation have hurt many people, forcing them to do all manner of things to pay the bills. The options available for many young people today are far less appealing than in decades past.

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
That's why I got into trucking in the first place from the Recession. In fact, my first so-called career was in broadcasting and I drove the News Van and put up the transmission mast connected back to the station tower so some dope reporter could get on Teevee.

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's why I got into trucking in the first place from the Recession. In fact, my first so-called career was in broadcasting and I drove the News Van and put up the transmission mast connected back to the station tower so some dope reporter could get on Teevee.
I have done all kinds of work myself as well. Welder, machine operator, satellite tv installer, truck driver etc. Trucking is a very tough lifestyle to adapt to but at least you can always find work if you keep your license clean.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
the options available for many young people today are far less appealing than in decades past.
I'm not convinced of that. I'm sure these guys didn't find this work appealing, they just did what they had to do.

IronWorkers.jpg

Reactions: brokcanadian

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think he was more referring to 2 to 3 decades ago. Not 8.
Exactly. I am a Michigan man and a large percentage of my family graduated from highschool and walked right into great jobs at GM working in the factory during the 60's and 70's. Many worked there for 40 years and never experienced a single layoff. Today, factory jobs usually require long stints working as a temp with no real hope of fulltime employment or benefits of any kind. Kids today must fork over thousands of dollars for an education that guarantees them nothing and often results in wages far less than the factory workers in the 60's and 70's received. There are still many opportunities out there but far fewer for the blue collar working class kid just coming of age. You better get a degree and it better be in something very marketable or you will end up living in your parents basement trying to pay the interest on your student loan debt.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
That's how it is at the Toyota plant where I live. Its a good paying job, but its pretty difficult to get into. And you have to go through a temp agency for quite a while before you are considered an employee of Toyota and able to get the good pay and full benefits.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My point is..... you do what you got to do, and it seems the OP is doing just that..... Cudos to him.

Reactions: MikeDamone

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great job if you can find a way to get your foot in the door. Even that job pays a lower hourly wage than an equivalent job at GM 25 years ago. Back then they made around $18 or $19 an hour and health insurance was free. Today, they start at around $16 an hour and insurance is definately not free. Adjusted for inflation, wages should have doubled by now compared to then.

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
It's ridiculous how many truckers or expediters I've met that are from Michigan. I'm from Michigan and my first trainer with PAM Transport was from Michigan.

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's ridiculous how many truckers or expediters I've met that are from Michigan I'm from Michigan and my first trainer with PAM Transport was from Michigan.
Yep. The good paying factory jobs are few and far between and the people who would normally fill those jobs are doing whatever they can to scratch out a living.