Adding living quarters to a box truck

jermrief

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,
We are in the market for a box truck with sleeping quarters. We are trying to stay with a Class 6, automatic, with at least a 16' box, and basic living quarters. We won't be hauling much weight. Getting a large Class 7 with a 6-10' studio sleeper in the middle is not a good option for us since it will be to long for an inexperienced driver, be in city driving situations, and require a CDL.

My brother-in-law's idea was to buy a Class 6 with a 24' box on it and convert the front 8'. I want at least 2 bunk beds, small work table, fridge, microwave, sink (cold only to rinse off), small TV, A/C, and if not to much trouble, shower/toilet combo (would then need hot water).

We are going to use the truck for our install crews that may be at a job site for 2-3 days. So the 16' box has our supplies and equipment. Up front for 2 people to rest while not working and waiting for things to cure or dry.

How much of a pain in this to add? How much will it cost? I'm thinking just section it off, go to a camper outlet store and buy the components I need. I don't need a Hilton hotel since crew will only be using the beds 20 days a year and just sitting and resting for a couple hours 40 days a year. Not doing 24/7 drives.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hello,
We are in the market for a box truck with sleeping quarters. We are trying to stay with a Class 6, automatic, with at least a 16' box, and basic living quarters. We won't be hauling much weight. Getting a large Class 7 with a 6-10' studio sleeper in the middle is not a good option for us since it will be to long for an inexperienced driver, be in city driving situations, and require a CDL.

My brother-in-law's idea was to buy a Class 6 with a 24' box on it and convert the front 8'. I want at least 2 bunk beds, small work table, fridge, microwave, sink (cold only to rinse off), small TV, A/C, and if not to much trouble, shower/toilet combo (would then need hot water).

We are going to use the truck for our install crews that may be at a job site for 2-3 days. So the 16' box has our supplies and equipment. Up front for 2 people to rest while not working and waiting for things to cure or dry.

How much of a pain in this to add? How much will it cost? I'm thinking just section it off, go to a camper outlet store and buy the components I need. I don't need a Hilton hotel since crew will only be using the beds 20 days a year and just sitting and resting for a couple hours 40 days a year. Not doing 24/7 drives.
Your first consideration would probably be to get it DOT legal. I think the only thing that would require is to make sure the partition between the freight area and the sleeper area will withstand a certain amount of force. You'll have to research that to find out how much it is. I would probably have the partition added by an approved service center of whatever make the box is you wind up with. You might want to check that company's website before you buy to be sure there is a service center in your area?

The rest is probably up to you on how you lay it out and build it. The shower/toilet combos are available. Not something I would consider for our work, but some do have them. For your work..maybe? The problem for us comes with clean/waste water storage, disposal and replenishment. That may or may not be an issue with you. For the shower, those with showers in the truck may correct me, but I see a lot of moisture issues if your not really careful how you set it up. A really strong exhaust fan would seem to be a requirement.

I've always wanted to build a setup like your talking about on a Class 8 truck. Not that I'm going to, I've just always thought it would be a cheap alternative for a large sleeper. The 100" sleepers they are building for these trucks are grossly overpriced imo.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
You might be forced to go to Camper supplys for some things BUT you can buy most of the things you need cheaper at other hardware and supply shops, Building a Bulkhead wall requires some strength and I would consult a Trailer or Box builder about the DOT regs...sounds like an Idea I once had in my Rock and Roll days to use our truck as a camper...but we basically built a set of bunks inside the box, mounted an AC Unit 120V, and a Fridge and Created Tables and Seats from Wall Mounted fold down Platforms, then threw Padds and blankets or sleeping bags onboard...Groupies didnt care where the bed was !!!!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I noticed a couple of things in your post. First it doesn't sound as if your hiring out but you sound as if you have chemicals involved. The main thing is to keep your crew safe and that might involve a seperation of crew and hazards. You can do about anything to make it comfortable without to much expense but Heat, A/C, maybe a window big enough to knock out incase of an emergency, small things that mean a lot to your crew. Just remember never to ask your crew to sleep where chemicals are, drying or not, be safe.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Pearlpro has a point. I always relate it to trucking, but since your likely never going to have anyone sleeping in that area while moving, it might be possible to not have a solid divider at all. I'm not sure what the regs would be on just having some beds in the cargo area. You could hang a blanket across for seperation if need be. You'll likely be needing some heat an a/c in that area too. There are cheap options there as well and with your setup would probably work fine. I'm guessing there is a chance you may have a generator on the jobsite already?

It would bring a question to mind though. How many people will be riding in the truck to and from the jobsite? A truck will really only carry 2 people legally unless you have a bunk or some extra seats with legal restraint systems in place.

Edit: Purgoose and i were apparently typing at the same time, he makes a good point about chemicals. Alot to be considered.

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I don't need a Hilton hotel since crew will only be using the beds 20 days a year and just sitting and resting for a couple hours 40 days a year. Not doing 24/7 drives.

Why not just pull a small 16ft RV Trailer that sleeps 4 behind you to these Job Sites? ;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sounds good, Brisco, except for the lack of the 16 ft of space for the supplies and equipment that is apparently needed.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Sounds good, Brisco, except for the lack of the 16 ft of space for the supplies and equipment that is apparently needed.

Yeah.....just thought of that too.....

Better Idea....

You said you "won't be hauling that much weight"....and really only need a 16ft "Box".

How about nice used Class "C" Motorhome that sleeps 4-6 people and get a 16ft Cargo Trailer. That way you have all the room you need for both "Traveling" and "Living" in 1 unit, along with the equipment and supplies in another.

My Bet.....you'd come out saving both $$$ and time when it comes to buying a 24ft Box Truck, along with the work involved creating and building what you thought of above.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A motorhome that sleeps 4-6, trailering a 16 ft trailer? Dude, I wouldn't drive that, and I have a year's experience driving t/t!
I think he's hit on the size/configuration that works for the job already, and is just asking for some suggestions on the setup.
Mine would be to skip the shower, as it adds considerable weight for something that can be got for free just buying fuel, [or taking the Ohio turnpike, lol]

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yup, even I [someday, you'll regret that bold emphasis, you know] could handle it - but with a lot of city traffic, I wouldn't want to. Trailers can go all kinds of crazy in bad weather and sudden stops, and an inexperienced driver can get in real trouble real fast. One vehicle is easier to manage, definitely.
The baby RV is pretty cute, though - I might decide to buy one when I retire, lol.

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was a truck at the expo that was an old Ryder or Penske truck, that was repainted white ad had a 4 ft "sleeper built into the front of the box with access from the cab. The truck was in a booth just down from the Load One booth, and the truck had TST logos on the door.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I think Crew Chief is the company in Canada that does those modifications.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Crew Chief is the one that does the financing for TST on those trucks. A lease purchase as they call it. LOL No way in hell I would pay $4k down and $700 every 2 weeks for one of those old wore out penske trucks.

I had looked in to TST a while back and Big Bob (Recruiter) gave me the run down on how the financing works through crew chief. If I still have the pamphlet in my email i'll upload it.

Last edited:

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From the pics on their website, it looks like they have the molds for Alumijunks sleepers... or did they make them FOR Alumijunk?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They are building a sleeper area inside the box not adding a sleeper to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

BigCat

Expert Expediter
They are building a sleeper area inside the box not adding a sleeper to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Yeah I understand but we were comparing crew chiefs in box sleeper design and came across what looks like alumijunk sleepers on the website.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Crew Chief is the one that does the financing for TST on those trucks. A lease purchase as they call it. LOL No way in hell I would pay $4k down and $700 every 2 weeks for one of those old wore out penske trucks.

I had looked in to TST a while back and Big Bob (Recruiter) gave me the run down on how the financing works through crew chief. If I still have the pamphlet in my email i'll upload it.

You say Crew Chief is financing these for TST?
Would that not make these company trucks then?
Im thinking TST is bank rolling the trucks in one way or another for someone else.. I beleive unless you buy one out right it has to stay on with TST as long as the lease is in effect or untill ya walk away from it???

BigCat

Expert Expediter
You say Crew Chief is financing these for TST?
Would that not make these company trucks then?
Im thinking TST is bank rolling the trucks in one way or another for someone else.. I beleive unless you buy one out right it has to stay on with TST as long as the lease is in effect or untill ya walk away from it???

It is a lease to own designed exclusively for tst.
TST.jpg

Last edited: