Adding a tag axle question?

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
I am thinking about adding a tag axle in the coming weeks. A few questions?
1.How much will this raise my GVW ?
2.Will I be allowed standard tandem axle weight for the two as I scale , or will I have a weight per axle on each?
I am in the market for a good used tag axle complete if someone has one.

Your response is appreciated.
thanks
robsdad

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Robsdad, I have been away from dump trucking for a while now but one thing to be sure of that I have seen happen without mentioning any names. One company I know of added tags to their tandem trucks (thinking) they could haul more. Ends up after they had done so that their length even with the added axel would not allow added weight. I wish I could answer your question about this better but when I saw the post it reminded me of this and figured I would throw it out there..

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
Truckmngr
Thanks for you response. That is the reason for my post. I really want to find out some answers before the investment. I know it would make the truck more stabe on heavier loads but I am 59 years old and a cowboy I ain't. So the stability thing doesn't help the bank account. thanks
robsdad

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
In general terms, adding a tandem would increase your allowed weight by about 16k. If the added axle is more than 8 ft apart from the drive axle, you can add the full potential of the new axle... 20k. Someone correct me if I'm off.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Will it have 1 or 2 wheels per side? I've seen both. If it's single wheel I'd figure around 7500# additional capacity since you have to subtract the additional weight from it's rated carrying capacity and if it's dual wheels you'd most likely go to 34k total on rears like any other tandem axle truck. Is your truck spec'd to handle that much? Is it class 7 or 8? I believe those are important factors in the final choice.

R

riverrat

33000 lb truck with single 46,000 lb truck with tag same as tandem 12,000 on front and 34,000 on the rear. Spread it 8'ft. you have a 52,000 lb. truck IF it is a 20,000 lb lift axle [they do come in different weight ranges] and if the truck can handle it check with a dealer. One other thing if you are going to do a spread axle configuration go with a steerable lift axle or plan on buying new tires real regularly.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another question, how much horsepower do you have? If you only have 250, like me, you might want to think twice about doing it.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I would say that in 2 years 90% of my loads didn't require using tag axle. From what I have read and talking with other drivers get a steerable lift axle would offer the best buy if one is reallly needed.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We added a 22,000lb axle with a single tire which is rated at 12,000lbs due to tire capacity. With FedEx a D is required to carry 13,000 load capacity so with our truck weight we only need the axle to carry 7000lbs. We got a air ride/lift axle that is a pusher with same size tires as our drivers. We added shock absorbers to our pusher axle this past year and we are still amazed at how well it rides now. We do not use it much but we are legal with our carrier and that is what counts.

Check with an axle dealer to determine if you will need a tag or a pusher axle. The reason we have such a big axle was the manufacturer sent the wrong axle and we got it at the lighter axle price. We paid right around 4500.00 for ours installed plus tires and wheels two and a half years ago.

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry for no reply guys been working. I think I have enough horse power. I have a C-9 cat engine 335 HP. M2-106 Frtliner. I can scale 12,500 now at 33k. I am working on my own authority and have a plan for the needed capacity pound wise. I won't need the tag on outgoing freight but will on the return trip. I only need to be able to scale 8k more. thanks for all the imput on this. I have learned a lot on this site and all you guys are responsible for it. thank you, Got off to a rocky start but things seem to be coming together.
thanks to all
robsdad

gar2006

Seasoned Expediter
:(Adding a tag axle: FYI we just received an overweight ticket in Oregon with the tag axle down. We thought it would be weighed as a tandem with the rear axle,they do not. It goes by the lowest weight,so you have to be within 34,000lbs we were(,but each axle was weighed separate so one axle had to be 20,000 max and the other 14,000 or less)

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We added a 22,000lb axle with a single tire which is rated at 12,000lbs due to tire capacity. With FedEx a D is required to carry 13,000 load capacity so with our truck weight we only need the axle to carry 7000lbs. We got a air ride/lift axle that is a pusher with same size tires as our drivers. We added shock absorbers to our pusher axle this past year and we are still amazed at how well it rides now. We do not use it much but we are legal with our carrier and that is what counts.

Check with an axle dealer to determine if you will need a tag or a pusher axle. The reason we have such a big axle was the manufacturer sent the wrong axle and we got it at the lighter axle price. We paid right around 4500.00 for ours installed plus tires and wheels two and a half years ago.

Does that mean your truck scaled at 27000 pounds before the lift axle?
I am considering a 20000 pound lift axle addition. My truck is double framed and has 450HP, so I know it can handle it. Are there ever any loads from FedEx that require that much capacity or do they stop the D's at 13000K? Should I save a little $$$ and just go with a single tire on each side?
BTW it was nice meeting you in VA and thanks for a look at the new QC.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We weigh 25,000 without a load, we weighed 19,900 before the addition of the lift axle and lift gate.
We only went with the one tire as it weighs less and we do not need the duel tires. We are registered to haul 46,000 so we can carry a 21,000 lb load. We have our truck registered at FedEx that we can haul 18,000 lbs. At different times FCC has talked about letting the D's haul more weight then the 13,000 and if that ever happens we will be ready.
It was nice meeting you also, to bad we both did not have a little more time to visit.

RakeshG

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum but have the same old dilemma: adding a Tag Axle to a 33000 Hino 338. Will the payload increase in direct proportion to the investment? The dealers tells us that it can be rated to 52K GVW after the modification, but what about the engine rated horsepower?
Secondly, we operate in the tri-state area of the eastern coast and i believe the laws about Tag axle vary widely from Vermont to Philly. How do I find out?
Any advise?????