Adding a liftgate

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We have a D truck and we are thinking about adding a liftgate. We think the added weight will put us over the 1300 pound carrying weight to stay in the D Classification. So we have two questions before we make this decision:

(1) Will this extra weight bump us down to a "C" Clasification?

(2) Will the additional runs (such as air freight runs) make the possible change in classification a sound business decision?

India Hamner
FedEx CC
Staying alive is nice, but you can't do that forever. It's HOW you live the life you have while you have it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Unless you add another axle you will go to a C classification leased to FedEx. If you are considering White Glove I think you will be ok as a C unit with a lift gate but as a surface truck I don't believe I would be beneficial. We have a liftgate we added and also a pusher axle. We are not a White Glove truck but we feel the added revenue we have received from out lift gate was well worth the cost. Check you length to see what kind of lift gate you can have. We had to get an elevator lift gate that will tuck completely under the truck. I would also price the best lift gate I could afford for peace mind.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What is your empty weight.I had a 2 axle FL 70 with a l/gate and my empty weight was 19,000 so I was able to maintain D status. As Linda said don't scrimp on the size,you lose something and it's a cargo claim,know your limitations and if you have doubts about handling the load ask for help.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
TeamCaffee
You said; "We had to get an elevator lift gate that will tuck completely under the truck."

What make and model do you have?

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Over the years as a truck tech, I worked on too many lift gates that were almost impossible to operate due to rust and corrosion at the various pivot points.

The lift gate on my rig is an Interlift model ILFS. This unit has almost as many grease zerks on it as the truck itself!!!
Check out: www.interlift.net/INTERLIFT/products.html

Rex

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone for the responses. We are going to wait about going to this expense right now. We need to keep our eye on revenue for a few more months before we add more investment to our truck. Thanks again!

India Hamner
FedEx CC
Staying alive is nice, but you can't do that forever. It's HOW you live the life you have while you have it.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Looking for a Good used Lift gate? check out this site. i saw one there today...Butch
WWW Thumb Truck Equipment.com In Michigan
Would give you a link but don't know how to do it on here.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have an Innerlift lift gate that we love. The gate is aluminum so very light and very easy to handle. The lift gate has many safety features we like but the best is the foot controls. While on the gate you can use your feet to lower and raise the lift gate and keep your hands free to control your freight. The actual deck is also large so it is very easy to maneuver skids.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Buying a used liftgate can save you a lot . I once worked for a corrugated company that got a U-Haul contract that required liftgates . All the liftgates were bought used and got heavy use . They were on 45' trailers that made 5 or 6 stops a day . We never had a problem with them .