Accident

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I saw the worst wreck I've seen in a long time us rt 15 south just about 15 miles into pa from ny

Tractor trailer ran off road into the rough rock side of the mountain that is cut out for the road,all that was left of it was the frame and wheels sitting on the road no body was left it was a heap of junk splattered down the roadway
No idea if driver survived or if rescue cut it all apart to get him out but man what a mess!

Slow down idiots!
On my way to Carlisle last night in the storm I was doing 35-40 And was being passed by nascar like tt drivers like I was standing still many slide offs all the way
What don't they get about it that they have to be so careless!

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's a hard thing to accept, but some questions have no answers. :(
What I wonder is why, given all the publicity about the gridlocked roads in Atlanta, so many drivers in NC did the exact same thing this week, and gridlocked every city in the state.
People are just nuts, that's all you can say.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
In snow, the question isn't how fast can you go,it's how fast can you stop. Some people just don't understand the simple laws of physics,I guess.

Missie600

Active Expediter
A couple of days ago with snow on interstate we came to a slow crawl. A big truck had jack knifed. Driver was ok. Everyone was able to squeeze by him to continue on. As soon as we got past him big trucks went flying by us. We will never understand the mentality that the road conditions don't apply to the super truckers.

I always look on the news to see if the big trucks are in the lead of multi car crashes. I guess it is not fair because 4 wheelers are just as bad. I just wish truckers would behave so we didn't have such a bad reputation.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK. Let's try to make this simple, shall we?

On snow, if you behave yourself you have some control. I drive a four-wheeler which is a couple of dirty words to some of you, and it's rear wheel drive to make it worse. If I watch what I'm doing it's possible to keep it on the road OK. Not too fast, snow won't stand for that. Apply power, brakes and steering just right and you'll be OK

On ice--- all bets are off. I don't care what you're driving, when the tires lose their grip on the pavement you're not driving half so much as you're along for the ride. Steering, brakes and power are questionable at best under ice conditions. Slower speeds at least give you a fighting chance, but on ice nobody's guaranteeing anything.

Too fast for conditions is too fast for conditions, whether you're driving a Honda Accord, a CV like mine, a 4WD SUV or a multi-axle multi-wheel Michigan Train. When you lose it at speed on snow and/or ice, you might not get it back.

Some time back, I saw a History show about the Battle of the Bulge. This battle took place in winter. One clip showed a tank sliding sideways down a snowy, possibly icy hill. If a 60-ton battle tank on treads loses it like that, what makes you think that just because you've got a lot of tires on a lot of axles you won't lose control?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ice is great
When you wanna skate,
And it's good to use
For soothing a bruise.
It's perfect, I think,
At chilling a drink,
I wouldn't make Jello without it,
But, drive on it? I doubt it! :p

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, we can shout out a thanks to these idiots for the amped up truck enforcement this year, just wait till spring comes around.
I'm sure you guys are looking forward to it as much as I am....(cynical sarcasm).

Unfortunately the idea of removing idiot drivers, motor carriers, fleet owners, and brokers is nothing more than a pipe dream and an awesome revenue maker for the government and their cronies.

Bob Wolf

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As for the ice, and driving like a douche bag?

I think an L.A.P.D. beat down is in order. I've always believed stupidity should be paid for with pain.

Bob Wolf.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As for the ice, and driving like a douche bag?

I think an L.A.P.D. beat down is in order. I've always believed stupidity should be paid for with pain.

Bob Wolf.

Beat downs are no longer allowed. We must reward them for the effort and give them a bouquet of pansies. :rolleyes:

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Even without recent snow sometimes will freeze over. In early 2002 we were taking that stretch between I 29 Iowa (NE2) to go over to Lincoln and connect with I 80. Great road but in some off the valleys patches of white ice like your freezer. Trucks would wind it up to 75 mph speed limit and sure enough they'd hit a patch and they were in the divider or out in a field. Most damage was to their pride but in about 50 miles we saw about 35-50 trucks off the road. I always remember a big decked out Pete with lights everywhere sitting in a corn field about 100 yards from the road. Nice rig just sitting there idling waiting on the tow truck.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Biggest peeve is the white car full of kid snow on all the windows mom on the phone and no lights on driving in wind blowing snow storm with ice fog!!
idiots all of em