ac nightmare in sprinter van

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
Our nightmare started a few months ago... The AC in the van would start blowing warm, but when we would stop and turn off the engine and the when we restarted the engine, we would have cold air again... That lasted a couple of weeks and then it started blowing warm and stayed that way. We took it to a local shop and they found a crack in intercooler hose. We had that replaced and all was well several weeks , then here we go again... This time we were in Dallas Tx, in June! Yuck! Hot! We took it to the local dealer and they replaced the condenser, the blower motor and a module and again it lasted about 4 weeks until it started again yesterday. We took it to another dealer in Ga this morning and they said it was a pressure switch, but that they could not fix it for 2 weeks...no part and over booked with sprinters... Well of course we left and went to a local shop that worked on mercedes diesel engines and had it replaced. All codes were checked, everything ok, we left AC blowing cold ... We received a load offer and accepted it, yes, back in business, but stopped for drinks and snaks and when we restarted the van it happened again...warm again... It hurts to outlay the cash, it hurts more to not be able to be in service during repairs, and just way to hot without air...We are out lots of cash, downtime, and still sweating. Does anyone have any ideas or have had a problem like this..Help is greatly appreciated.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Well it would probably be a good idea to start out with some small details - like year, make, model and mileage of your Sprinter.

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
Opps! I got caught up in the details and forgot the important stuff... It's a 2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500, 158k miles, diesel engine.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With A/C on and fan on high, open your dash vents. If cold air is coming out there, then it's the deverter value. I think it's somewhere in or around the heater coil.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
GO to any A/C shop.

Have them put the gauges on the system and see if there is first freon in the system and then if there pressure being built up on the high side and the compressor disengaging.

If you have pressure on the high side, then the system is sort of working, seeing that the ECU controls the compressor clutch and no codes are being thrown out, it seems like it is common problem.

Have the expansion valve replaced and the system FLUSHED.

I don't understand what the dealer was thinking by replacing the the condenser, the blower motor and a module - sounds like they were guessing at what the problem was and are glorified parts changers. Should have kept the parts.

The blower motor has zero to do with the warm air.

If there is freon in the system, the condenser shouldn't be touched.

Which module? The ECM?

bobwg

Expert Expediter
We are having problems also with our 2002 Sprinter a/c with 600,000 miles on it blower motor was not working so we got one from dealer and put it on, then we found a leak in a line went to dealer got that line and put it on and went to a/c shop had them vacuum out the system and then put in freon a/c worked for about a day or so and found another leak in the condensor so we have ordered the part from place in Ohio and I just have to get back up to Michigan so we can put it on and then get back over to the a/c shop

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't doubt what you are saying Steady but wouldn't it be prudent to first rule out the A/C unit itself?

The changing of the expansion valve and flushing the system may be a good thing.

Is this blending issue with 2006 models too?

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I don't doubt what you are saying Steady but wouldn't it be prudent to first rule out the A/C unit itself?

The changing of the expansion valve and flushing the system may be a good thing.

Steady is right about the diverter valve. It's in there primarily due to the pre-heater motor and isolates the heater coil when the a/c is turned on. 2006 models have the same design. While the expansion valve itself isn't expensive the labor can be, and I'm of the mind of don't fix it if it ain't broke. Flushing the system is a double edged sword. If not done correctly, it can force trash into the expansion valve and drier causing them to fail. I would ask the shop how they do it before I had it done.

First thing that should be done is to hook up a/c gauges and determine the status of the a/c. It can be determined if the system is low on R134a or if the expansion valve is bad. A bad expansion valve will allow the low side to pull into a vacuum.

If the system is full, expansion valve working, pressures good, and still blows warm air, then the diverter valve is the culprit. However, before you replace the valve you need to determine one more thing. Some Sprinters are equipped with the automatic pre-heater. The pre-heater motor will come on if the coolant temp drops below a certain temp. This is for winter driving to keep the engine at operating temp. The temp sensor that controls the diverter valve could be screwing up and telling the diverter valve to open even if the pre-heater switch is turned off.

So, determine the status of the a/c system. Confirm how your Sprinter is equipped. Replace the faulty part.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Not at all. However, in post #1 I think he did all he could do.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
However, in post #1 I think he did all he could do.

I don't really feel he did all he could so because the condenser would be replaced if it is leaky or seriously plugged (which means a flush, replacing the dryer and expansion valve is in order oh and the compressor), the blower motor would be replaced if the thing stopped working or was slow (ready to die) and the module would have been checked through the dealer's software but which module, I could not find one for the HVAC for 2005 except for the ECM which controls the compressor and senses the pressure in the system.

I learned hard lessons with my Dodge caravan and the "five star" dealer. While on the road a few years back the A/C stopped working, wife took it to the Dodge dealer and they replaced everything they could except the expansion valve - condenser, evaporator, lines, heater core (why no one could tell me), reprogrammed the body computer but it didn't fix the problem which was the same thing. This was their "top A/C mechanic" working on the van. I ended up coming home, bringing it over a friends house to take the freon out, replacing the dryer and the expansion valve, flushed it and put back the freon. Everything worked great - until the clutch coil toasted last year. Haven't replaced that yet but the van isn't being used so no hurry.

The point is no one is troubleshooting the problem, they are replacing parts to see if it fixes it with the most common parts. Just because they went through the training, doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't really feel he did all he could so because the condenser would be replaced if it is leaky or seriously plugged (which means a flush, replacing the dryer and expansion valve is in order oh and the compressor), the blower motor would be replaced if the thing stopped working or was slow (ready to die) and the module would have been checked through the dealer's software but which module, I could not find one for the HVAC for 2005 except for the ECM which controls the compressor and senses the pressure in the system.

I learned hard lessons with my Dodge caravan and the "five star" dealer. While on the road a few years back the A/C stopped working, wife took it to the Dodge dealer and they replaced everything they could except the expansion valve - condenser, evaporator, lines, heater core (why no one could tell me), reprogrammed the body computer but it didn't fix the problem which was the same thing. This was their "top A/C mechanic" working on the van. I ended up coming home, bringing it over a friends house to take the freon out, replacing the dryer and the expansion valve, flushed it and put back the freon. Everything worked great - until the clutch coil toasted last year. Haven't replaced that yet but the van isn't being used so no hurry.

The point is no one is troubleshooting the problem, they are replacing parts to see if it fixes it with the most common parts. Just because they went through the training, doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Openning the two vents above the radio, will blow cold air if system is working. Easy and free test to do without going through all that again. If cold air is blowing from those vents the A/C system is working and the problem is the deverter value. Don't know why..other than it's a Sprinter.....

RD Monk

Rookie Expediter
Steady Eddie, I was reading you old posts about sprinters and I have a question.. I have a 2500 Sprinter van with factory air 2006 model with 26000 miles. Last year the dealer flushed my system and I headed back to WV from Fl where we stay during the cold months. My rear air started squealing during the trip back to WV so I turned the rear off until I returned home. I didn't drive the sprinter until it was time to return to Fl for the winter and had no need to turn the system on because I knew it would make that sound. So now its time to travel home ,so I took it to the dealer . They called today and said my sound was coming from a belt turning on a frozen motor. He said it would cost around $2100.00 and maybe more because the lines may have shaving in them- Question 1..... does this price sound about right ? .....Question 2.........should I buy some type of extented warranty on the van that will cover major costs like this ? thanks Rodger

Reactions: Treadmill

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A "frozen motor"? Or a frozen compressor? I think you have two compressors and the one for the rear air could be locked up. I would check the pully(s). Take the belt off that compressor, everything should turn freely including the compressor. Check Europarts of San Diego for that rear A/C compressor. You will see that the dealer is a little high on theirs. Buy the parts and have them install if they will.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Sounds to me that the clutch on the ac could have a fault in it condenser fan if it had one, or some trash clogging the expansion valve. Did they put a dryer or did it have one already installed on the system? Just for gigles, when you get warm air, see if your evaporator is freezing up.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's one, even if I have the heater going the upper vents still blow cold air not even warm air.. I also have the problem of A/C blowing warm air then cold air when I have the A/C going.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's one, even if I have the heater going the upper vents still blow cold air not even warm air..
It'll do that if it's cold outside. Upper vents air is straight from the outside unless the A/C is engaged.

I also have the problem of A/C blowing warm air then cold air when I have the A/C going.
Cycling warm and cold air is usually a sign of either low freon (it'll leak out of a Sprinter in 2-3 years, usually) or a compressor going bad. Or both.

RD Monk

Rookie Expediter
thanks for answering------I called today and they said the pulley was frozen and he was sure it needed replaced. They are a Dodge/Chrysler dealer......he expected $2,000 plus...and I couldn't buy parts....because they warrant for 12/12000 miles........my sprinter has 23,000 mile.....and I'm now thinking
thinking of adding a warranty ......they have one for $3,000...24 months.....and good at any Dodge
Chrysler dealer(that) works on Sprinters .......very few work on them in my home state even though only a few miles away....can you suggest another warranty ? I have disability and down time in another state can be rough
thanks