A tale of two houses

bruchar

Expert Expediter
HOUSE # 1:

A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas. In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:

Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE # 1 (20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2 (model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am trying to keep 'political tags' out of my posts as per Tallcals request but it is hard to do.

ALGORE has 'bought' carbon credits to offset the carbon he uses even though he has not been material neutral like others have been by buying credits for the actual material he used or the contrcution of the house itself. Oh I got to mention that the company Gore 'bought' his credits is one he co-founded and as a co-founder, the company provides - not sells - carbon offset credits to it's executives and does not sell it to the public.

Bush, for the big oil man he supposed to be, he did things right and built modest home. 10,000 sq ft compared to 4000 sq ft? a no brainer there. Also when you add in Clintons NY home (not counting the apartments) and edwards home, you get over 42,000 sq ft of living space for the democrats and only 4000 sq ft for the leader of the only super power in the world. Odd, isn't it?

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
what proof can you offer that this house in crawford, texas is actually as you say" eco friendly", and in fact how do you define "eco friendly"?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There you guys go again letting things like facts and the truth cloud the picture about the leader of the "do as we say not as we do" gang aka HypocritesRUs.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Hey, I just asked a simple question.The only way to educate us less informed is to share links such as the ones you have just offered. thanks by the way...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM,

What is the other super power in the world?

The EU?

It surely is not China but they are coming close.

There were only two, one is gone leaving US.

letzrockexpress,

Hope I didn't come across as an a**, I just get tired to hear how great someone is so "green" and who happen to be democrat and that every republican (sorry Tallcal) wants to destroy the earth.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Al Gore learning from GW could or would?

I always find it amazing in my simple little mind. What on earth would anyone want with a 4,000 squre house or bigger? Mine is right at 3,000 and I regret it, circumstances requires it for right now but as soon as these teenagers are gone so are we (bride and me).

I find the utilities to be out of control, will be looking into my next residence for options like this.

Its a Beautiful home, just to much way to much.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't have any firm opinions on Al Gore, but I sure do on George Bush - and the ranch in Crawford would be the first thing about him that I can admire. It is a very impressive statement, no doubt.
Neither side of the aisle is all bad or all good, and both sides are pretty much bought & paid for, IMO. Those who feel that all Democrats are hypocritical left wing whiners, or that all Republicans are hypocritical right wing warmongers miss the big picture: America will never be the best it can be, until we look for points of agreement. Namecalling serves only to deepen the divisions, when we need to be united in our efforts to leave the country in better shape than we received it, and that applies to us citizens, as well as the politicians.
Climbing down from the soapbox now...

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
I second the end to name calling.2008 is pretty far off,and there will be much to debate.Lets raise the bar( at least try)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure what name calling you refer to but if liberal and conservative is name calling then I have no problem being called a name because I'm a conservative.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Cheri
I understand and partially agree with you but the issues over name calling seem to have been over looked in the bigger picture.

I mean that where is the source of name calling coming from?

Where is the hatred for an individual(s) start?

I can point to maybe 2000 sources that espouse name calling and hatred, 99.99% of them are either owned by or run by people who support the democrat party 100% and what I consider fringe of the dem party, not the people who are good and civil. But what about the other .01% of the sites you ask? They are from the dummy right; the people who react to the name calling from the other side and help escalate the yelling match. These include many off the wall right wing Christian sites that also think that the devil is Bill Clinton and the party that support him the devils creation – they are something I do actually worry about more than the left on a lot of issues, scary!

The fact is you can’t get away from it; it is all over and entrenched into our culture. I am trying to limit my ‘name tags’ but truthfully it is hard to describe something unless there is an affiliation top the person, object or situation helps describe it or clarifies it. Beside, EO seems to have the most civil dialogs I have seen – you all need to check out some of those other websites, OMG disgusting. (Yes even the right wing nuts – they can be horrible)

When you talk about green issues, there is a big problem; many think (and many more want you to think) that it is only the people from the left that care, that they only hold the key to the entire solution, like ALGORE and his followers. I can’t ever agree with that premise because some of the best solutions and best things that have moved us forward are from a true cross section of people – there is no right or left when you look at who actually brought the changes to our country.

In the case of ALGORE and the carbon credits, he has again raised more questions about the legitimacy of his actions then showing us solutions – finding out that he co-founded the company and much of the profits from his movie have actually gone into his pocket in a roundabout way really bother me and it should all of you. Even though I am not as green as I would love to be, I know I will get there and working on one thing that I am passionate about, I think I will be sooner than later. I find that people’s hearts are in the right place and when watching/listening to Tallcal’s daughter, I think that the changes will come but it has to start with people that have the passion, like her, not with people who just cash in on things and lack the fortitude to live as they preach.

This whole issue of the homes illustrates the blatant discrepancies with the media in this country I have been screaming about. If the leader of our country and the last super power can do this to illustrate the capabilities of our country to truly become concern, why can’t the very people do the same as they preach to us about what we have to do.

Oh ALGORE is not used in a derogatory way in relation to his efforts of today but his trying to bring the paperwork reduction project to the public and than abandoning it.