A Sprinter burns

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just talked to a friend who told me about this, I think it happened just yesterday. Someone I know and some others on this site know was driving a 2010 Sprinter on 275 in the Cinci area. They thought they smelled something burning and the next then they knew smoke was coming in the vents. They pulled over and saw flames under the hood. Luckily they got themselves and the dog out along with some of their possessions but not all. They were not under load.

Not sure how these two items fit but it isn't that important. I was told it pretty much burnt to the ground and the smoke was heavy enough they stopped traffic on the interstate for a bit but also the fire chief said it looked like it started in the computer area. People may want to check the wiring in that area especially if you have a 2010. As a side note they did not own the Sprinter.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just talked to a friend who told me about this, I think it happened just yesterday. Someone I know and some others on this site know was driving a 2010 Sprinter on 275 in the Cinci area. They thought they smelled something burning and the next then they knew smoke was coming in the vents. They pulled over and saw flames under the hood. Luckily they got themselves and the dog out along with some of their possessions but not all. They were not under load.

Not sure how these two items fit but it isn't that important. I was told it pretty much burnt to the ground and the smoke was heavy enough they stopped traffic on the interstate for a bit but also the fire chief said it looked like it started in the computer area. People may want to check the wiring in that area especially if you have a 2010. As a side note they did not own the Sprinter.

Didn't TJ say something about his computer was toast? that is why he is still down, waiting for a new one...wonder of a recall or service bulletin will be issued...?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Didn't TJ say something about his computer was toast? that is why he is still down, waiting for a new one...wonder of a recall or service bulletin will be issued...?

Yea he did and that reminds me I did want to Mention TJP has never driven or been near the sprinter that burned.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Is it me, or do we hear more of the bad sprinter stories then the standard old cargo vans that take a lick'n and keep on ticking. Well its a thought.:D

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh I am sure we have heard plenty of horror stories about standard old cvs. Some people just tend to focus on ones about sprinters.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope mine didnt burn down to the ground...Lol...But yes my front computer is faulty and needs to be replaced...So still counting it will be 12 weeks on friday night...Bit of info...Charlie's Dodge in Toledo, Ohio is who I had my van with all this time...Never ever go there they do not know what they are doing and have no desire to make anything right...(My motto is if ya screw me...I'll do everything I can to get ya back, So CHARLIE'S DODGE may you never ever get another car sale or service another vehicle ever again) Now the Sprinter is at a place that is trying to fix Charlies Dodge mistakes and they are a good place it is Steve Germain Mercedes Benz of Easton in Columbus, Ohio...

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Whether it's a 1950 Panel truck or a 2010 Sprinter, who is foolish enough not to have a fire extinguisher with in reach?.:confused:

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
TJ, I second the Charlies dodge thing. Overpriced parts vs. other dealers. Can't get parts orders right either. Parts folks would be better suited to be a door man instead of a parts looker upper. Gave them 2 chances, both times failed miserably. They will never get my business ever again.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I take the Sprinter I drive to the Freightliner dealers that are authorized Sprinter dealers/service locations seems the labor and parts are cheaper than the Dodge or MB dealers the best one so far is Stoops Freightliner in Indy

sockhat

Seasoned Expediter
i know this couple. all they got out with is their dog and laptop. said it happen so quick they barely made it out. think he got some minor burns on his feet. but their ok.