A. Blair Enterprises

trobertson

Rookie Expediter
Perhaps I can answer some of the questions within this thread.

We DO NOT run our “drivers to death”. In fact we hear the usual complaints of all driver’s about sitting too long. Sorry, my friends, it simply the life of an expediter!

Our drivers let us know how much rest they need and we do not require them to take loads unrested. However, let’s also be realistic…neither of us is making any money when the wheels are not turning.

That having been said, we have no problems with drivers heading home whenever they deliver close to their respective homes, as long as they remain in service. We do indeed expect our driver to be in service for 6 weeks at a minimum, but most live within the expedited lanes that we travel, and can, like Chet mentioned, gain additional time at home when the opportunities present themselves.

Addressing Chetjester’s claims of mileage…I can assure you that he would not report anything other than the truth. I can also tell you that his OCD is NOT imagined. Chet truly becomes extremely antsy sitting anywhere for any length of time and was an exceptional driver. We referred to him just as NoProblem addressed him…”Chet the Jet”…early on pickups early on deliveries and seemingly always ready for the next run.

Chet, if you once again become ready to drive we’ll always have a new vehicle ready for you. We will within a few week have upgraded every company owned vehicle to 2015 models with built in GPS, backup cameras and other niceties! I know you cant sit in Dallas forever!

In all the years of expediting I’ve had less than ten drivers who have logged the magical 180,00 miles a year and I will assure you that Chet ranks at the top on this elite list. Again, always early and the only complaints received were, “do you know how long I’ve been sitting here?”

We were truly sorry to see NoProblem move on to another area of this business, and know that whatever he chooses to do that he will succeed. Here’s to you Steve.

To answer your questions about how A. Blair is doing, I can only say that we are still here and still growing. We recently opened an office in Cleveland and have given that office the responsibility of hiring on owner operators. We began this venture allowing multi-carrier van and sprinter owner operators, but have recently rejected signing on anyone who cannot or will not be exclusive with A. Blair Enterprises.

We’ve also decided to establish a small fleet of team driven straight trucks, made up of owner operators that are tired of sitting in areas and hearing that they are the third of fourth truck in line for the next run. We hope to find a fleet owner who wants to improve on his present carrier arrangement, and become a force with his carrier. We want to limit the number of straight trucks to 10 at this time to minimize the time spent waiting for loads, and lessen the possibilities of in carrier competition. If you’re a straight truck owner operator or a fleet straight truck owner operator and want less competition within your selected carrier structure, we welcome your calls.

mccll01- If you live in Columbus then you are definitely in the expedited freight lanes. Yes, we would expect you to be in service for 6 weeks at a minimum, but I’m certain you would see and be able to stop by your house more often.

Our recruiter in Louisville for company sprinter vans is Abby. You can reach her at 502-339-8648.

Owner Operators of vans- straight trucks call Robert in Cleveland at 1-440-327-7143.

Thanks to OntarioVanMan and davekc for their input.

Tom Robertson

A. Blair Enterprises

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks Tom. Thanks NoProblem (Steve). Thanks Dave. Thanks Paul.

I miss being on the road more than anyone can imagine. But, when I stopped driving I didn't know that I would become a personal driver for somebody that would let me drive a Rolls Royce 5 days a week. Today, my boss, his CFO, best friend and I played golf at Hackberry Creek Country Club in Irving, TX. Tee time Sunday at Walnut Creek Country Club in Mansfield, TX is 7:36. This is a dream retirement.

We'll see what happens when I turn 66 next March. I just might buy my own Promaster and return to expediting just because I want to return to expediting. And this time, do it for fun and make some money while I see if I can hit all 48 states again.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
From my research on the subject, A Blair sounds like the kind of company one would want to drive for. I have spoken with several of their drivers and they all say they wouldn't drive for anybody else.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
360,000 miles? So you averaged 15,000 miles a month for 24 months in a van? Are you sticking with that story?

I believe it... I wasn't with Blair, but a small carrier, yet I was driving about 11-12k miles per month...

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would vouch for Chet or Steve. Know them both for a long time.

I will vouch for DaveKC as his word is GOLDEN in my book. I been the expedite business over 20 years and DaveKC has been at longer than me.

Reactions: davekc

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
From my research on the subject, A Blair sounds like the kind of company one would want to drive for. I have spoken with several of their drivers and they all say they wouldn't drive for anybody else.
Its like we always say...not every carrier will suit everyone....like finding a spouse, you have to find the right fit for you...there is enough good quality carriers out there with different modes of operation....the essence of the business is the same....how we get to the bottom line takes different turns...be safe.

mccll01

Active Expediter
Researching
I would like to thank everyone for their information. Thinking long and hard on a career change. I currently run a correctional kitchen. I am salary and puting 50 plus hours a week. I know how profit and loss work, I know what a buisness plan is. My ethics and professionalism is top notch. My company is a private contractor, so the benefits and pay is not the best. Guess I am tired of training and working with inmates. I need to be responsible for me, my corporate structure is not. So, I will continue my research and study this, go to the expo and maybe talk to a few drivers. That way I can make an informed decision. Thanks again everyone.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would like to thank everyone for their information. Thinking long and hard on a career change. I currently run a correctional kitchen. I am salary and puting 50 plus hours a week. I know how profit and loss work, I know what a buisness plan is. My ethics and professionalism is top notch. My company is a private contractor, so the benefits and pay is not the best. Guess I am tired of training and working with inmates. I need to be responsible for me, my corporate structure is not. So, I will continue my research and study this, go to the expo and maybe talk to a few drivers. That way I can make an informed decision. Thanks again everyone.
One must remember most expedited loads are run through the night, which makes it for a rough night if one is not cut out for it. Not an easy lifestyle.

mccll01

Active Expediter
Researching
Point taken and a good one. I can do what it takes to get a job done, safely. Dealing with inmates for soooo long (18 years) is not an easy lifestyle either.

Reactions: Treadmill

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Tom isn't going to blow any smoke where the sun doesn't shine and all those rumors about them being cheapskates are just that, rumors.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know what Blair pays their drivers? I tried to call just to gather some info but the recruiter was gone.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think an American would recognize a Russian if he bumped into one! Some of those guys I've talked to our Chech ,Croatian ,Romanian, Polish, Ukrainian

Reactions: Murraycroexp

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think an American would recognize a Russian if he bumped into one! Some of those guys I've talked to our Chech ,Croatian ,Romanian, Polish, Ukrainian
yakov-smirnoff.jpg