A. Blair Enterprises

mccll01

Active Expediter
Researching
Does anyone have any info on A. Blair Enterprises out of Louisville. They have the Spriners, looking for 1099 drivers.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Their old scheme of things was that they ran their drivers to death, that was 4 years ago when I talked to one of their drivers. Would suggest you find one of their drivers if u can and ask him. There are other fine companies out here to drive for, imho.

mccll01

Active Expediter
Researching
Thank you Raider. Looks like they are doing the same thing. Out 6-8 weeks before home time. Don't mind otr, I know it means otr. Living right outside of Columbus, OH, I was hoping to sneak into the barn from time to time.

duwayne86

Seasoned Expediter
Good afternoon and evening ladies and gentlemen. My name is Duwayne and I'm looking for a job driving a sprinter van or a non-cdl stright truck for me and my future wife. I was a company drive for different companies for near 30 years for 1973 to 99. Took a few years off to take care of a I'll mother. Then in Oct of 01 went back to driving as a owner / operator for Bennett Truck and Transportation till August of 04 when I became disabled. Now that I better I would like to become a owner again. But being off work for so long, it's hard to get a driving job without that recent experience. So I've been talking asking ? about becoming a owner as a sprinter driver. I have called several companies and of course yes we can use you as long as I have the van. So I went down to the local Ford dealership here in San Angelo, Tx. Would you believe that they have just what I wanted. Right in front, beautiful 2015 350 sliver transit van with all the bells and whistles, rise high roof and extended. But I couldn't get it without that down payment. That was in February and today it's still there ready to go to work. So it's gas come to this, now looking for a investor that would like to help out with me and my future wife in getting in the van or helping me and her in a good used one like a 09 to 14. Maybe you would like to lease a new one to us till I can save enough to pay back. So if any one out there would like to help please, please let me know. I'm keep to get back to driving because now that I'm on social security it really suck. I have to eat or get medication and health insurance and I can't afford all three.. Thanks Duwayne and Janie Owens

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tom there runs a good ship...he has rules if you are talking driving a company owned van .do more research...they are what they are, like every other fine carrier...some company owned equipment and a few O/O's....every and i mean every carrier has some bumps/dislikes....the question is....which one can YOU tolerate. Good Luck

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Good afternoon and evening ladies and gentlemen. My name is Duwayne and I'm looking for a job driving a sprinter van or a non-cdl stright truck for me and my future wife.

Well making random posts that have nothing to do with the question being asked won't help you. There is a classified section here for drivers wanted and drivers available that can help you get a job. Forget the idea of having an investor buy one for you and just work for someone else until you save up a few grand for a down payment and startup costs.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
How is it I am a "Rookie Expediter"? Is it because I haven't posted in a while? From March 2010 until March 2012 I put 360,000 miles on a 2010 Sprinter working for Tom at A. Blair. That's no rookie.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
How is it I am a "Rookie Expediter"? Is it because I haven't posted in a while? From March 2010 until March 2012 I put 360,000 miles on a 2010 Sprinter working for Tom at A. Blair. That's no rookie.

360,000 miles? So you averaged 15,000 miles a month for 24 months in a van? Are you sticking with that story?

Reactions: RoadTime

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
Absolutely. I have all my mileage and load records. Ask Dave Corfman if he believes me.

The JET!!! What's happening Mr.? And hello OVM!
I vouch for Chet the Jet and I'd bet a ton that he still has all his records! The crazy thing is, he'd probably scan them and email them to you Paul if that's what it came down to! lol

To the OP, I left there in 2011 so can only tell you to talk to Adam or Tom - not sure exactly who does the hiring or who their recruiter is anymore, but I'm sure they still give it to you straight. You want to be sure to ask specific questions about all your concerns, same as you would for any potential company you plan to sign up with. They ran a pretty tight ship and kept their trucks very well maintained when I was there. I have no idea if any of the old policies are still in place or not, but here's a list (in no particular order), others can expand upon and somethings you can discuss if you decide to call them.........
Rate?
FSC?
Layover pay policy?
Dead head pay policy?
Empty move pay policy?
Detention pay policy?
Layover pay policy?
Vehicle maintenance policy?
Weekly escrow deduction amount?
Total escrow amount?
Escrow return policy?
Sprinter alteration policy (Chet the Jet was absolute master of this one lol)
Sprinter wash policy?
GPS fee?
Lease fee?
Other fee(s)?
Dispatch speed?
Home time? (always best to keep this one last on the list imo)

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, Steve.

FYI, I live in Arlington, TX. Home time was never time off for me as I was constantly going to Laredo and could easily stop by the house to resupply, do laundry or just say "Hi" to the dogs.

Also, Steve will attest that there could be some significant deadhead. I was in El Paso at the "J" (not at Exit 1) on a Sunday afternoon when I received a call to deadhead to Nogales to take a load to Toledo for delivery Tuesday morning. We had a new manager that wasn't too familiar with mileage between locations and thought it was only a three hour drive from El Paso to Nogales. I picked the load up at 11:30 Eastern time Sunday night and had it delivered before 8 AM Tuesday morning. Another time I was the only driver available for a load from Charleston, SC to Laredo. I was in St. Louis. Load was delivered on time. That's what running hard is.

Most people will say that I drove too much with too little rest. Those people also think 10 hours sleep after 11 hours driving is a great idea, too. My OCD kept me moving, awake and safe.

I have no idea how A. Blair is doing these days but you must be totally committed to the job or don't drive for them. There was no refusal. Most loads took me to where I could get another load. I drove back-to-back loads and also had the great experience of sitting for almost a week. Expediting.

If I were sitting in Laredo for more than a few days I could usually get permission to drive back to Arlington (7 hours) until something became available. And, several times I drove right back down to Seguine or Laredo to pick up a load. That's how you put 360,000 miles on a van.

I insulated the van. I had an Espar bunk heater installed. I installed auxiliary batteries to run my electronics. I had two GPS's, XM and my iPod to listen to books. I had a great time!!!

Unfortunately, they got a new manager (he is not there anymore) who was not too driver friendly. I reached a point where retirement was better than putting up with him.

Do your homework and ask all the questions as Steve suggested.