8.3 cummins choking out going uphill

Larjac

Rookie Expediter
8.3 cummins, six spd auto 04 Kw t300. This morning , Hills of Virginia. seems to choke out when it reaches 4th gear. No visible smoke, doesn't die. Ran very good traveling here. Runs good on the flats and downhill. As soon as under uphill resistance it acts like its running out of fuel. One shop in area with cummins site down , several others ahead of me. Will probably sit for weekend, maybe till first of the week. Any thoughts on problem?

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
8.3 cummins, six spd auto 04 Kw t300. This morning , Hills of Virginia. seems to choke out when it reaches 4th gear. No visible smoke, doesn't die. Ran very good traveling here. Runs good on the flats and downhill. As soon as under uphill resistance it acts like its running out of fuel. One shop in area with cummins site down , several others ahead of me. Will probably sit for weekend, maybe till first of the week. Any thoughts on problem?

Fuel filter, clutch slipping

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sounds like a fuel pressure issue. As mentioned, change the fuel filters. Any truck stop can do that. Either it has been awhile between changes, one is collapsing, or you bought bad fuel.

Larjac

Rookie Expediter
Forgot to say I changed fuel filter, filled with lucas upper cyl treatment, the rest went into the tank. Also changed the air filter. All this info was in the first message I typed but It disappeared into the computer blackhole

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Maybe a turbo that is clogged with carbon or an EGR valve.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Forgot to say I changed fuel filter, filled with lucas upper cyl treatment, the rest went into the tank. Also changed the air filter. All this info was in the first message I typed but It disappeared into the computer blackhole

That engine has two filters. Hopefully you got them both? If it is the turbo it should throw a check engine light. If it is a true 04 and not a rebuild of sorts it shouldn't have a EGR.

Last edited:

spongebox1

Expert Expediter

You could have air in the fuel system, I would change both the fuel and water separator filter use diesel instead of the Lucas, if its got the primer pump on it pump after changing the filters, if you've ran the fuel tanks pretty low you could have pulled the trash in the bottom of the tanks into the fuel system.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
My votes for fuel filter or air leaking in under a loose fitting while under heavy load.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

It could be the fuel filter like davekc said, which is where I would start. It could be that since its only doing it going up hill that you have a air/air hose with a leak in it. Another thing to check is the air filter. If you don't have a clean air filter or a leak in the Air/ Air, the turbo will not give the right boost pressure to work the turbo going up a hill.

Sent from my PH44100 using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run a DT 466 and here is what I do for maintenance check when I change the fuel filter.

Check to see if you have a rock cathcer this is a screen prefilter usualy in a bowl but might be in a diferent housing verry fine screeen and they get verry cruddy. Just clean the peices with brake cleaner, as long as the peices arent dammaged and will clean up they are usualy reusable.
If you have any quick connections on the fuel lines, especialy where the line connects to the engine they will eventualy hammer a flat spot
Also check the O ring for the fuel regulator on a DT466E they are on the back of the fuel rail.
Annother thing that might be biting you in the asz is the hand primer pump if you have one. the seals or bulb dry out and allow the engine to suck air and be a real P.I.T.A.

Easy type repairs anyone can do it.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf.

Larjac

Rookie Expediter
After sitting for a day 1/2 finally got a mechanic. After explaining symptoms and applied remedies the unit was moved to a spot where the rear was slightly downhill. The new filter was removed, contents poured into a pan. No contaminants. Primary pump activated, mostly air. Fuel being low, @ 15 gals each tank, it was thought maybe I had too little fuel. Added 30 gals. Still not coming up. Blew through lines back to tanks, both bubbled. Blew towards filter into top of tank, mostly air. Should be a diaphragm in pump that blocks direction. I think pump is bad but doesn't explain after pump times out. Possibly still low fuel problem, depends on pick-up tube location in tank. Should be on bottom where 15 gals. shouldn't be a problem. I still think there is something I am missing. Previous owner thought a sensor failed as happened to him in the past. Shop says no 02 sensor. Anyway shop closed at 5:00 Friday till Monday morning. Motel till then, Welcome to ownership!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did you inspect the fuel lines for a crack or pinhole, and replace the couple 25 cent O rings it might not leak but it will suck air due to negative pressure and a flat spot. Depending on the year there might be quikc connects at the tank the seals will somtimes leak. With a flattened O ring or pinhole you wont leak air unless its arround 120 psi if at all and at that you will have blown the lines and tanks in fact positive presure will seat the seal or plug the pinhole. Did you pull the air tubes off the turbo and inspect for oil both inside the turbo, the tubes, and the air cleaner you might have a bad turbo seal, if find any oil, the turbo is bad and must be replaced. Speaking of the air cleaner, when was it last serviced. If it is older than 1 year or you cannot see light through it when you shine a droplight through it change it.
That little vacume guage is not as accurate after a few years.

Annother common suspect is a bad injector seal or O ring engine compression blows by the O rings and enters the fuel system especialy if you find lube oil in the fuel filter. This involves pulling the injectors so having them cleaned, inspected and tuned or changing them out is definetly in order.
You might have one or more injectors ready to die on you. A buzz test only tells you if the selonoid is working to find out if the injector is clogged you usualy have to pull them.

As Bill Clinton said "I feel your pain" fellow O/O.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Bobwolf that is all good advice as the pin holes in the lines happened to us a few years back. The only difference is was the metal line in the one fuel tank. If the truck dropped below 1/3 of tank for fuel, the truck would do the things that is happening to this truck.

Larjac

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for the responses. As for all the filter suggestions if you read what I posted it states that I replaced the filters after the problem started. First response I had before yelling for help. This truck has only one fuel filter. I am also paying $124.00 an hour for the mechanics to guess, up to three at the time, more to come on Monday plus the $200.00 for the cheapest motel. If it was (and still could be) a pin hole, with the amount of air at the filter, you could drive a truck through it.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bobwolf that is all good advice as the pin holes in the lines happened to us a few years back. The only difference is was the metal line in the one fuel tank. If the truck dropped below 1/3 of tank for fuel, the truck would do the things that is happening to this truck.

Its been my experiance the trivial items are the ones that drive me nuts when it comes to repairs.
As for the pinhole I worked on a tractor that had copper fuel lines and betwene it being flexable and any slugde it wouldnt leak at 65psi capped the tank end. When I put a draft to it it showed up clear as day.

Bob Wolf.
Bob Wolf

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I'm keeping with my assumption that its getting or still has air in the fuel or something restricting the fuel!

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
I'm guessing you could have boost issue. Could be caused from a simple loose clamp on the air tubes running to both sides of the charge air cooler, could be a bad / cracked charge air cooler itself or even a cracked turbo housing. The turbos on those engines have a habit of cracking on the back side where it's hard to see. Stand on the tire and inspect and the sane from underneath.

How was your engine temp ? Any of the above issues will cause your engine to run hotter than normal and in extreme conditions even overheat the engine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im thinking air getting into the fuel betwene the tank and injectors, crack, pinhole, bad seal/O-ring, fuel pump or pressure regulator, or the injectors themselves arent sealing. Dam, more orings again, or the injectors themselves are bad.

Bob Wolf