7 SPEED SPICER PROBLEMS ****** CONTACT ME *****

slingshot8409

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Anyone having transmission problems with 7 speed spicer and Caterplier engine combination in FL 70's. I have been talking with Frightliner about this, and I need help! Please send any information about your problem--
Date of Problems
Year of truck & VIN
Type of problems

THANKS

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Contact mikecop on this forum. He had problems with his. Maybe you two can get together on this.
Randy

Retread

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Consider contacting OOIDA regarding problems with Spicer 7 speed tranny's. We had to replace 4 transmissions in 1 1/2 years (2 in one truck alone). We contacted OOIDA of the problem. At the time it was a relatively new problem, however, in the 2 years since our last replacement they have received several documented complaints.

This problem has also been extensively discussed here:
http://www.jroman.com/wwwboard/index.html

Also consider reporting the problem to the NHTSA. With enough complaints they will investigate:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Problems with this tranny aren't new. It REALLY sucks! It's very small and weakly constructed. They blow apart, and even if repaired it will quite likely blow apart again. See if you can get it replaced with the much more reliable Eaton/Fuller 6 speed or better yet a 9 speed Roadranger unit if it's no longer under warranty. The extra money spent will be well worth it down the road, although the CAT 3126 engine sort of sucks in FL70's along with the Spicer tranny. (I don't mean to make anyone feel bad :)

truckman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Problems with this tranny aren't new.
> It REALLY sucks!
>It's very small and weakly
>constructed. They blow apart,
>and even if repaired it
>will quite likely blow apart
>again. See if you can
>get it replaced with the
>much more reliable Eaton/Fuller 6
>speed or better yet a
>9 speed Roadranger unit if
>it's no longer under warranty.
> The extra money spent
>will be well worth it
>down the road, although the
>CAT 3126 engine sort of
>sucks in FL70's along with
>the Spicer tranny. (I
>don't mean to make anyone
>feel bad :)

truckman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>>Problems with this tranny aren't new.
>> It REALLY sucks!
>>It's very small and weakly
>>constructed. They blow apart,
>>and even if repaired it
>>will quite likely blow apart
>>again. See if you can
>>get it replaced with the
>>much more reliable Eaton/Fuller 6
>>speed or better yet a
>>9 speed Roadranger unit if
>>it's no longer under warranty.
>> The extra money spent
>>will be well worth it
>>down the road, although the
>>CAT 3126 engine sort of
>>sucks in FL70's along with
>>the Spicer tranny. (I
>>don't mean to make anyone
>>feel bad :)
what is it about the cat engine that sucks, this is a broad statement, could you be more specific. I have also heard comments regarding the cat engine being responsible for the tranny failures. If you have heard this also perhaps you could enlighten me on this as well.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Read the thread a bit down on this page "Engine question for Weave" for 3126 Cat info.
The Spicer 7 speeds are dropping like flies on Cummins powered Freightliner FL's also.
I do not know if this tranny is used on any other medium trucks or if its dying on them if so.

24road_dog

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ive got a 7 spicer in my Fl80(3126cat)280 k miles...at about 180k, I had a bearing go,,,I made it from NC to Harrisburg,Pa using 1 gear,(6th)it was a Friday and Harrisburg were the only ones willing to look at it,,Being under warranty it only took them 4 days to fix(LOL).....Nowadays there's no warranty(scarey) going to get rid of it soon for stretched tractor....what more can I say .

Clutch JUNK
7speed spicer JUNK

Freightliner SHAME ON YOU!

24road_dog

jnktowing

Rookie Expediter
I have 2002 Ford f -650 with cat 3126 7 speed spicer tranny 20000thousand miles .,seem like its stuck inbetween two gears..????

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I have 2002 Ford f -650 with cat 3126 7 speed spicer tranny 20000thousand miles .,seem like its stuck inbetween two gears..????

I have not been inside a 7 speed spicer, buuuut...
If you take the top cover off (which may be very difficult if there's not an access panel on the cab floor), you will expose all of the Selector rails and shift forks. You'll also see all of the sliding gear collars in the transmission. Each one of the sliding collars can be moved back and forth with a big screwdriver or something. Put them all in the middle position.

On the bottom of the top cover are all of the shift forks. Only one should be movable at a time. If you can get two to move at once, the selector shaft detents are worn out and require replacement. Check out the shift forks, too. They can get bent if the shifter has been hamfisted. You can tell if they're bent if one side has a lot of scoring wear on it.

Do not attempt to take the selector shaft mechanism apart unless you have a surgically clean place to do it in. Invariably you'll launch a ball bearing or spring into hyperspace, where it will simultaneously be in this dimension and a dozen others at the same time.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
..jnktowing gets the prize for resurecting the oldest post ever, 13+ years !!!

I thought for a second there that our old friend Weave had come back to join us.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I always thought the Spicer 7 speed was bullet proof, almost as indestructible as Mack's 5 speed Maxitorque.