650,000 Americans Switched to Credit Unions Last Month

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Let's make it another 650,000 this month. I have Chase right now, I will be moving my money to my local bank this weekend.

650,000 Americans Switched to Credit Unions Last Month
By Martha C. White | November 4, 2011

Link: 650,000 Americans Switched to Credit Unions Last Month | Moneyland | TIME.com

According to a survey conducted by the trade association that represents credit unions, fed-up customers of big banks aren’t waiting until this Saturday’s “Bank Transfer Day” to cash out and take their banking business somewhere else. The Credit Union National Association says an estimated 650,000 Americans have opened new accounts at credit unions since Sept. 29, the day Bank of America announced its wildly unpopular debit card fee. By way of comparison, credit unions only had 600,000 new customers open accounts in all of 2010.

This is one of the clearest signs yet of how strongly bank customers feel about the proliferation of fees large institutions have started attaching to checking accounts. CUNA says that in addition to the 650,000 new customers, an aggregate $4.5 billion has been added to credit union savings accounts in that same time frame. More than 80% of the 5,000 member organizations surveyed said they’ve added members since the end of September.

(MORE: Banks Back Off Unpopular Debit Card Fees)

CUNA president and CEO Bill Cheney said in a statement that this increase is most pronounced at the nation’s largest credit unions, although institutions of all sizes are increasing advertising and marketing campaigns to try and take advantage of the strong anti-bank sentiment sweeping the nation. Many are extending their hours or adding staff in preparation for this Saturday’s “Bank Transfer Day.”

It remains to be seen if customers will keep defecting from the “too big to fail” banks. Bank of America killed its much-derided debit fee earlier this week, and Wells Fargo and Chase both announced they were scrapping tests of debit fees. Will that be enough to stop the wave of disgruntled customers pulling up stakes and leaving their banks? Even though the debit fees are gone, there are plenty of other reasons consumers might want to leave big banks, not the least of which is the prospect that those fees could pop up somewhere else in the future — and it might not be as transparent as a $5 charge for using your debit card, says one analyst.

(MORE: Still Reason to Drop Big Banks, Even After They Drop Debit Card Fees)

“My guess is we’re going to see more stealth-like fees,” says Dennis Moroney, research director for bank cards at TowerGroup, a financial services consulting firm. “It could be stuff that consumers may not notice, or something small that they don’t react to.” In other words, while a $60 annual fee to use a debit card was enough to prompt an outcry, if banks charge a buck or two for paper statements, customers might not object — or even notice.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Credit unions are a good choice for most people. I don't use one nor do I use a "mega bank". I bank with a locally owned bank. IF they sell, I will switch to a credit union. Right now my bank suits my needs. Everyone needs to evaluate their wants and needs in banking just as they do when picking a carrier to lease with.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I love my Bank of America card....no fees, no hidden services, and the 5% cashback is great....I'll stay..thank you...

We use a local bank for our needs...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I closed my two accounts @ BOA and now just signed a contract to refinance my house from BOA to another lender. All with a local bank. I have another mortgage contract with BOA on a rental that I am negotiating on a sale with so I'll be finished with them. ;)

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Closed my Checking and Savings accounts at Chase on Saturday. I have a little left on my truck payment and will be paying that off in two months. We do not have any credit card debt but I do have a Chase credit card for emergencies, I am shopping around for a credit card before I close that one as well. The house is already in a Savings and Loan, so once the truck is paid off and I find a credit card for emergencies I will no longer be supporting a large bank. As long as my local bank can provide me with the services I need, I will be utilizing them.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have my money spread around
I have my savings account and mutual funds and a credit card with Chase
I have my mortagage with Wells Fargo
I have my checking and savings, and IRA CD's and auto loan and personal loan with my Credit Union
I have other mutual funds with American funds
I have another savings account with a local bank

I don't want to have all my money in any one bank or Credit Union or investment.
It's never a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have my money spread around
I have my savings account and mutual funds and a credit card with Chase
I have my mortagage with Wells Fargo
I have my checking and savings, and IRA CD's and auto loan and personal loan with my Credit Union
I have other mutual funds with American funds
I have another savings account with a local bank

I don't want to have all my money in any one bank or Credit Union or investment.
It's never a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket!!!

what?...no under the mattress? LOL

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Two credit unions. Lower or no fees. I keep the bulk of my money close to home, I have some I send 45 miles away and I have not enrolled in online services...that way I am not easily tempted to make an impulse purchase, but if something necessary and costly crops up, I can get to it.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008