40 Years ago today

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is 40 years ago today that I received my honorable discharge from the United States Army Security Agency. Dang gum I am getting old. I can clearly remember driving out the gate at Homestead Air Force Base, in Homestead FL, for the LAST TIME! OH what a feeling THAT was! It was just after noon when I signed the final papers.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is 40 years ago today that I received my honorable discharge from the United States Army Security Agency. Dang gum I am getting old. I can clearly remember driving out the gate at Homestead Air Force Base, in Homestead FL, for the LAST TIME! OH what a feeling THAT was! It was just after noon when I signed the final papers.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Congrats to you LO. I went off to boot-camp July 4th, 1966, came home May of 1970, USN, my one and only cruise: USS Constellation VF-142, my last year was Vietnam , hey, got VA bennies on that one, well I did something right,,,,,,,,how did that happen,,,,yes I to am getting old 67 and holding......

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Congrats to you LO. I went off to boot-camp July 4th, 1966, came home May of 1970, USN, my one and only cruise: USS Constellation VF-142, my last year was Vietnam , hey, got VA bennies on that one, well I did something right,,,,,,,,how did that happen,,,,yes I to am getting old 67 and holding......

Is that where your screen name came from?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

It sure did seem to fly by! Where did the years go?

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you guys for your service. If I had it do over again, it would be in the USAF the day after HS, could of retired at 38 and then took the same job as a civilian (at least in some fields) and retired again and then had a third career! One thing you guys are doing here is making me feel young(er) again, LOL!!!

TS

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank you guys for your service. If I had it do over again, it would be in the USAF the day after HS, could of retired at 38 and then took the same job as a civilian (at least in some fields) and retired again and then had a third career! One thing you guys are doing here is making me feel young(er) again, LOL!!!

TS

There are times I wish I had stayed in, then I wake up! LOL!! Very happy we could make you feel a bit younger! :p:p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is only a bit younger, I turned 55 last month...

TS

That's SEVEN years! LOL!! That makes you the same age as my LITTLE brother! What I would give to have THOSE back! :D Right now I think it would be easier to lose 30 years than 30 lbs.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Congratulations and thanks. I to am from that era. Would have stayed in but the NVA shortened my flying career. Still get together with some of the other Pilots from my company semi annually for a big blow out with all the families in toe a lot of fun and memory's doing that. :cool:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Is that where your screen name came from?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Flew with a Navy pilot as a crewmember many times in Pensacola Fl from 67 to 69 just to go along for the rides. Great combat plane for its time. My main job was air sea rescue at Sherman Field, Pensacola. I was lucky, only one cruise in 4 years... so, yes the screen name came from the Skyraider.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Flew with a Navy pilot as a crewmember many times in Pensacola Fl from 67 to 69 just to go along for the rides. Great combat plane for its time. My main job was air sea rescue at Sherman Field, Pensacola. I was lucky, only one cruise in 4 years... so, yes the screen name came from the Skyraider.

It was a WONDERFUL weapons platform in it's day, was it not? We NEED to meet up sometime, share a few beverages, and spread some BS! Glad you made it back!