4.8L vs. 6.0

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i have 2-2008s with the 4.8 both have around 140,000 miles on them..no problems so far...they put out 275 hp..how much more do you need??? i no, i no, most will say bigger is better...but say that at the fuel pump

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
2005 4.8 in a 3500 extended....282,000 miles as of today...the transmission puked at 274,000 and its the same trans that is behind the 6.0.......i'd buy another one for a CV that is 9660 gvw.....

NOW....if you are talking about buying NEW. you can get the 6.0 with the new 6 spd trans and a 3:42 rear axle ratio...that i would buy on a heart beat......

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Lets cut to the chase:: Lets bring back the old 390's and the 427's and have some cargo vans that will kick some butt. Omy, for a moment I was remembering when they made real engines on the road.............omy where is my medicine:eek:

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
No, and No. The smaller engine has smaller journals and smaller internal specs, it is not made to be a long lasting medium duty engine.

Had my brakes worked on this last weekend. The MGR was telling me about a guy who gets his checy van worked on there, van has over 500,000 miles on it. 2006 with 4.8

mine is '06 van with 4.8, auto runs great just do the service as needed and, no problems..

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got the 6.0 in a 2009 extended 3500 with 4sp and 3.73 that gets about 18.5mpg empty at 60-62mph and about 16.8mpg overall, again running 60-62mph. That puts me at 1900 rpm. I considered the 4.8 but believed it would be working enough harder under load to offset any advantage to the smaller displacement. Oh, and it's new with less than 10k miles on it so hopefully mileage will go up just a tick when it gets more miles on it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Had my brakes worked on this last weekend. The MGR was telling me about a guy who gets his checy van worked on there, van has over 500,000 miles on it. 2006 with 4.8

mine is '06 van with 4.8, auto runs great just do the service as needed and, no problems..

Yes that may be true but what is the percentage of vans on the road with 4.8l engine not achieving these high miles?

The sad thing is GM and Ford and even Chrysler have had products on the market for more than a century and just now having vehicles that are getting more than 250k on average without major problems.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Looking at a 2008 Chevy extended 6.0 that was on a lease. Has 86,000+ miles on it.
What would you upgrade or change out before putting it in service?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Greg where are you getting your info from ?? I have an 06 w/ 4.8L love it ....240,000 no problems here! Oh excuse me replaced the gas cap @ 210,000 ( bad cap will give u crappy milage)