4.8 vs 6.0

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Can anyone who has experience with or knowledge of the differences between Chevy's 4.8 motor and their 6.0 motor compare these two for the rest of us. Compare mileage, repairs, reliability etc.

Thank you

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
I dont know anything about the 4.8, but I have a 6.0 , and I couldnt ask for anything more from a engine. 417,000 miles, 2 alts, 1 water pump, 1 power steering pump, I change oil (mobil one) every 10,000 miles, and dont have to add any oil between changes. I average 15.5 to 16.5 mpg at 68mph.
________
Herbal Smoking Blend Recipes

Last edited:

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Just like miguy1957, I got 15.5 - 16.5 mpg. 200,000 miles, 1 alternater. The engine didn't care if I was running empty or fully loaded, push the go pedal and it went.

JoeyandJudy

Expert Expediter
I have a 4.8 in my 2006 GMC 3500. I average 17 mpg with 248,000 miles. I've had good luck with this motor, just oil changes using Mobil 1 every 10,000 miles. Haven't had any trouble going up hills with 2500 lbs loads.

Joey and Judy
FDCC B4493

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OMG
you are both using Mobile one and changing it at 10K?

My wife's last car used mobile one and we changes the oil every 18k and the TBAs in the OA were still good enough to go to 20k. AND that car was driven hard.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The idea of a syntthetic oil, is it doesnt break down under stress.Therefore will last much longer than regular oil.Ive gone 150000 miles between oil changes,just changed filters and replenished the system,Changing at 10000 miles,wow your giving money away

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
2005 4.8, 166,000 miles, replaced the water pump at 108,000. Changed over to Amsoil and their filter,at 95,000 and at 145,000, added 1 quart in between changes. 50,000 miles is the minimum i will change it out at. I also changed the trans over to amsoil and change the diff to a synthetic also. When I changed the diff gear oil, there was a small amount of water in the housing, water will float the gear oil and it will show your housing is full, when you might have a bunch of water in there...the water makes its way to the axle bearing before it gets to the carrier bearings, if you have had a axle bearing go bad, id be checking for water in the housing...

Mileage is ok at 17.5 at 67mph, but drops like a rock at 70. Acceleration is fine loaded or empty, cruising power is fine also...

I have never owned a 6.0 liter, so i won;t go there, but it 4.8 works fine even with 3000 lbs on (yea i know, but you got to do what you got to do from time to time...........