$33.77 per hour

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Just imagine Cheri as the union head and Leo as the head of management sitting down to negotiate the coming years contract. Both are on opposite ends of the spectrum, and both have unrealistic goals.

If the Corporations and the workers would work with the same goals in mind, very high profit for the Corporation, and bonuses for the workers (not higher hourly pay) you would have hourly workers being paid the equivalent of $40.00 plus per hour and enough money to pay the stockholders a good return on their investment.

To think that it is mostly management or mostly labor is naive.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
quotas and numbers in production is sort of like us in a way...our quota is say 50 mph...we know over long loads we have the time and IF we feel real good that day can come in under quota and be early....in essence raising our pay by decreasing hours driving.....OR we might not have slept to well and we drag it out till the last minute.....not everyone can produce at 100% all the time every hour, every day.....
We used to have machines set at a specific number of feet per minute the line would move...that was a good rate for both company production needs and the safety and welfare of the worker....taking physical limitations into account....Now....I had a crew and we needed a product really bad...and we would buy them supper usually KFC or pizza and make them a deal....we need this amount and it takes x amount of time....we get it done I'll punch your card!....BAM they were done in like under 6 hours....they worked like a machine as a team....turned the belt speed up and bam....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What about the union leaders they sure don't do it for thank you letters. Just look at the outrageous union dues.
No they don't do it for thank you letters. Unions are businesses. Some like the UAW and Teamsters are big businesses. They have payrolls, mortgages, leases and all other types of costs associated with running a business. Bribes and kickbacks only cover a small portion of these costs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And some of you wonder why your truck, Sprinter, or automobile cost so much. Hint: it ain't the $33.77 per hour.

not when they pay me to bring 1 box of nuts at like 1000$ because some MANAGEMENT person making the big bucks with a logistics warehousing degree messed up....and they keep messing up.
1 person throws 1200 people off the job, lost production, lost income for the worker...as long as he can golf and on the company golfing team he probably won't be fired...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No they don't do it for thank you letters. Unions are businesses. Some like the UAW and Teamsters are big businesses. They have payrolls, mortgages, leases and all other types of costs associated with running a business. Bribes and kickbacks only cover a small portion of these costs.

bribes and kickbacks work well for management too.....I was once offered $2,000 just to speak well of the union....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now we know why we pay so d**** much for a piece of crap car THANK YOU UAW.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

They average double that pay in Germany and produce many vehicles that cost no more than american ones.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

jamom123

Expert Expediter

Hilarious!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
when I was a line serviceman on the lift truck I'd be going thru shipping or dropping a product on the dock....a trucker wold ask me to take a skid or 2 off pleading with me....I just couldn't...I am not authorized to sign his paperwork...I don't know if it is even the right product, just nothing I could do for him....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
That's where "It's not my job" came from.
Like me walking thru this parking lot they're paving. If someone asked me to move the roller, I couldn't.

OVM, do you get frustrated by the lack of skills demonstrated by people on forklifts ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like me walking thru this parking lot they're paving. If someone asked me to move the roller, I couldn't.

OVM, do you get frustrated by the lack of skills demonstrated by people on forklifts ?

A little....you can always spot a rookie...and sometimes the experienced are more sloppy...they just try to slam it in or rip it out....I find women much more cautious and finicky...My rule....NEVER on a grade! it is either inside at the top on at the bottom of ramp.....there are times this isn't possible...that is where I'll tell them to come right up to the bumper and switch feet...WHY because the chance to roll forward is just too great...very few are that good....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

on the other issue...would you sign for freight? that you know nothing about...maybe unknown to you they were going to reject that load for whatever reason and you know nothing....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know it is frustrating to see that guy that looks like he/she is doing nothing and your clock is ticking....I just have to remember not everyone is there to serve ME!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's why you are soo much happier when you are at they yard.Surrounded by people whose job it is to serve you. :)

Our cross dock company Arc treats us like crap at times .... Wait wait wait real customers come first! Lol

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's why you are soo much happier when you are at they yard.Surrounded by people whose job it is to serve you. :)
9442.jpg

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just imagine Cheri as the union head and Leo as the head of management sitting down to negotiate the coming years contract. Both are on opposite ends of the spectrum, and both have unrealistic goals.

If the Corporations and the workers would work with the same goals in mind, very high profit for the Corporation, and bonuses for the workers (not higher hourly pay) you would have hourly workers being paid the equivalent of $40.00 plus per hour and enough money to pay the stockholders a good return on their investment.

To think that it is mostly management or mostly labor is naive.

How is it naive to think most issues are management, when they have the final say on everything, and they have the power to enforce their choices? Labor has nowhere near the bargaining power, and both sides know that too.
I don't think my goals would be unrealistic, because I'd want everyone to profit [management, workers, customers, shareholders] because that's the only way to keep it going. [At least until I reach retirement age, lol]
One of Edward Deming's 'innovations' that the Big 3 considered too 'radical' for words was the team approach, where workers and bosses share the same goals, because they are in it together.
The bosses were so accustomed to the adversarial us against them style they couldn't even imagine a different way of getting the job done - but decades later, they are finally beginning to understand how destructive and pointless that is. [Maybe because Japan & Germany & others have been doing it that way, and winning?]
I'd want everyone to feel responsible for making the product and the company a success, because they are. And I'd want that to be recognized by all, because that's the right thing to do. If there's lots of profit, everyone shares, if not, everyone loses. Is that unrealistic? :confused:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's probably not as one sided as you believe. Management can shut the doors whenever they want to but so can the union. It's fine to take the occupy stand and put it all on management but if a strike is called things are shut down.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In most any business what is best for the company isn't always best for the individual or visa versa. That includes expediting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Have you noticed there are less strikes than years ago ?
My brother's company was bought out, the new owners refused to sign the contract, and I believe they worked almost 2 years w/o a contract.
Once the legal wrangling was about over, and the NLRB was getting ready to rule, the company came in waving the white flag.
My brother earns $88,000 per year for 60 hrs per week of driving. The company pays holidays, 4 or 5 weeks vacation, puts over $400 per week into a 401K.
The company is profitable enough to give him a $4000 + profit sharing bonus each year.
Nobody wanted a strike. Things got resolved without one.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's probably not as one sided as you believe. Management can shut the doors whenever they want to but so can the union. It's fine to take the occupy stand and put it all on management but if a strike is called things are shut down.

There is one leeetle difference between management shutting the doors and workers going on strike: the workers can be [and often are] replaced and fired.
In either scenario, the workers pay a much higher cost for their actions.
I'll grant that sometimes, a strike is just about unreasonable expectations on the workers' part, [or even unbridled greed], but I think that's a tiny minority of the numbers. Some strikes aren't about money at all, but safety.
I guess the reason it's so popular to denigrate unions these days [along with poor[er] people] is the need to have someone to feel superior to. Otherwise, where's the denigration of those who are really and truly greedy? You know: the big corporations/industries that write the laws that allow them to profit more, and more, and more.
Not a squeak about them, ever, but the figure $33.77 is appalling to you. SMH.