$3000 per week

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, it isn't the key to the miracle of making $3k per week in a cargo van. I wish it was. It's a lady who lives on a cruise ship. She sold her home and lives 24/7/365 on a cruise ship and it costs a little over $3k per week.

Meet The Woman Who Lives On A Cruise Ship

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Anyone who's been on a cruise likely knows how appealing that might be. It seems like high rent, and it is, but it includes a stateroom, all the available entertainment (live shows, theater, etc.), round the clock meals and all gratuities. There are a few people with permanent residences on cruise ships. I would guess maybe 50. About 25 years ago I went on a 10-day cruise to the Bahamas and there was a married couple on there who'd been living on the boat for 5 years. I didn't ever see them, but the talk was about them having to pick a new ship to live on because that particular cruise was that ship's final voyage.

There is a private residence cruise ship called The World where 165 residences are owned by the people who live there. Small studios start at $600,000 and the larger suites run from $13-$20 million. You then pay 10-15% of that sale price as an annual fee. It's just like a regular cruise ship except the residences get to decide the ports of call, itinerary, and activities scheduled for the coming year.

There are also two other similar ships (WSJ article) currently being built, one for cruising only the inland waters of the US (and doesn't that sound boring - but, it's considerably cheaper than the other ships).

I could live on a cruise ship. As someone says in the WSJ article, there are just so many places a cruise ship can go, and after a while it can get boring. I suppose, but I think I could handle going to the Bahamas a few times a year, Australia a few times, Europe, Asia, South America a few times a year, lather rinse repeat. I'm in.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would be totally bored, after the first five minutes. I prefer to cook my own meals, live where I please and provide my own entertainment. I have never, and can never see, going on a cruise, let alone live on a cage, albeit a guilded cage. A life without challenge is no life at all.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The WSJ article is only available if you pay for a subscription. It's an interesting idea, not for me I don't think, but interesting for the right people.