2015 Ford Transit Maintenance Costs

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The following are maintenance costs for a 2015 Ford Transit T-350, 3.5 Ecoboost, long and tall. These costs are for maintaining this Transit as it came from the factory and do not include extras like Espar, house batteries etc.

Oil Changes: 14 oil/filter changes, synthetic blend oil. $352

Air Filter: 77,000 miles. 1 @ $21

Headlights: Upgraded OEM halogen low and high beam headlights to Opt7 LED. 4 @ $260

Tires: 82,500 miles. Replace OEM Hankook 235/65 R16 with Michelin Defender 245/75 R16 4 @ $921

Wiper Blades: 98,000 miles. 2 @ $25

Giubo: 95,200 miles. Replace giubo, parts and labor $323

Transmission Flush: 95,200 miles. Parts and labor $112

Spark Plugs, Serpentine Belt: 105,000 miles. Parts and labor $304

Totals: $2,206
105,000 miles.
.021/mile. Call it 2 cents/mile.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been eyeing those bulbs for my Leaf's fog lights how are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where did you get your transmission flush done? That seems cheap. Those prices include tax?
Venus Ford Cudahy,WI. That price does not include tax or shop fee. I had the giubo replaced at the same time and separated the two, showing only the price of parts and labor. If you just had the flush it would probably be about $15 to $20 more to include tax and shop fee.

Billg had his transmission serviced here. They dropped the pan, changed the filter and flushed it. That was the service I asked for. All they did was the flush. They told me the filter and gasket kit were unavailable but went ahead with the flush without informing me. Had they told me this up front I would have waited. I did not want the flush only. I'm not happy.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
I've never heard of a transmission being flushed? Is this something new? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times on here.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Transmission flushes are very common and usually listed as a scheduled maintenance item by the manufacturer. This was the first time I had ever had this done to one of my vehicles. With my previous two Chevy vans I had the transmission pan removed and the internal filter replaced. This procedure costs more due to labor and gasket replacement.

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
The following are maintenance costs for a 2015 Ford Transit T-350, 3.5 Ecoboost, long and tall. These costs are for maintaining this Transit as it came from the factory and do not include extras like Espar, house batteries etc.

Oil Changes: 14 oil/filter changes, synthetic blend oil. $352

Air Filter: 77,000 miles. 1 @ $21

Headlights: Upgraded OEM halogen low and high beam headlights to Opt7 LED. 4 @ $260

Tires: 82,500 miles. Replace OEM Hankook 235/65 R16 with Michelin Defender 245/75 R16 4 @ $921

Wiper Blades: 98,000 miles. 2 @ $25

Giubo: 95,200 miles. Replace giubo, parts and labor $323

Transmission Flush: 95,200 miles. Parts and labor $112

Spark Plugs, Serpentine Belt: 105,000 miles. Parts and labor $304

Totals: $2,206
105,000 miles.
.021/mile. Call it 2 cents/mile.

Moot, thanks for this data. Timing for me is perfect, just bought 2016 HR EL eco and am working the forecast spreadsheet I used to try and get a handle on what expenses might look like, now with ownership, I am looking to be more precise.

These numbers are GREAT!

BTW, what is "guibo"? Guess I ought to GIT...

Am now working on swiveling seats, already have first stage of my inverter setup installed. I have really found your posts very helpful here and at the T forum as well.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A giubo, also known as a flex disc, is a POS connector between the transmission output shaft and the driveshaft. The Ford Transit giubos are known to crack at the bolt holes, eventually failing.
giubo 3.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A giubo, also known as a flex disc, is a POS connector between the transmission output shaft and the driveshaft. The Ford Transit giubos are known to crack at the bolt holes, eventually failing.
Below is a picture of the giubo I gave Uncle Bob for his birthday. It's a Franklin Mint sterling silver limited addition. Certainly destined to become a collectors item.
Happy Birthday Uncle Bob 2017.jpg

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just an update on Ford Transit brake life. Had oil change done and my inspection sheet showed 7 mm left on front brakes and only 3 mm left on rear brakes. Van is at 169,000 miles. Dealer calls me and says the rear brakes won't make it to my next oil change. Wants $260 for the brake job. Too much! So I go buy a set of genuine Ford pads and change them myself. Cost about $55 and had to buy a special tool to retract the pistons, they work as a parking brake and have to be screwed back in while under pressure from the tool. The whole kit was $40 or I could have just rented the kit from any auto parts store. So for under a hundred dollars I have new rear brakes and a new brake tool kit. I love saving the money that a dealer would have charged.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another update on the Hankook winter tires I bought. They were the exact size and load rating that came on my T350 new. I put them on in November and used them until today. So they have about 45,000 miles on them. The traction on both snow and ice was exceptional. Loved the tires but they made a bit more noise at slow speeds. They have plenty of tread life for another Wisconsin winter. These pictures are the tires at 45,000 miles.
54f9085a90ca85ead18afa45bb4cb0a6.jpg
5a839c034fadff90828f61f8d9d58266.jpg

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And just crawled under my van. Had the transmission to drive shaft coupler replaced under warranty. This new coupler looks different then the original one and I noticed they installed a driveshaft loop to contain the shaft if the coupler ever did fail completely.
8873d5be250faa1f1e709eba3fa3b6d6.jpg
5b51b895b0faf424ca203194b557233c.jpg
e54b3dde995f6c41d12a7abe980b7dc8.jpg

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow, such a patch work. They should be ashamed of themselves for coming up with such a thing. Is the giubo cracking again?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow, such a patch work. They should be ashamed of themselves for coming up with such a thing. Is the giubo cracking again?

Yeah it looks like it is cracking again. The sprinter uses the same type of guard on the driveshaft.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Yeah it looks like it is cracking again. The sprinter uses the same type of guard on the driveshaft.

The one on the sprinter doesn't look anywhere near like this one. This one looks like an afterthought. I'm sure it does the job in the event the driveshaft falls off for whatever reason, but ... Anyways...