2013 sprinter heat not working

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure if the 2013 has the deverter value. It should be somewhere mounted on upper firewall. Mine has three hoses, yours may only have two. It allows hot air to flow through heater core and deverts it , bypass, when A/C is selected.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That awkward moment of standing in line at Freightliner Houston for 1.5 hours to find out that the only guy who has access to your van parts went home 30 minutes ago.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Two pipes going in. One skinny, one fat. Both have plastic adjustable (valves?).
Wonder which one is hot and if I should tinker with them...

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think fat pipe is cold one, condensed from AC.
Will try to play with it tomorrow, too dark already.

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A diverter should have a wire or cable going to it for control. Its worth a search on Sprinter source I find somebody has usually had the same problem

Sorry, I lack any useful knowledge on the quirks of the 2007 up models

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When looking at at the firewall on the sprinter (based on 2008) there is a boost pump inline for the core of it fails you have near Zero heat mine was kinda bonkers @700k and I would lightly tap it (serious) and it would whir back to life it's rubber house not metal and visible from the drivers side and REALLY visible with the air box off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Like someone else said, without proper diagnosis you end up throwing parts at it and wasting money.

On mine I had the same symptoms and first I checked to see if the control module was asking for the right temperature, with a sprinter capable scanner. All was good there.

Next was to check the diverter valve. It is very easy to check. It has an electrical connector with 2 wires. What you need to do is to unplug the connector.

With nothing plugged in you should get hot air out of the vents, and connecting 12 volts to the plug should give you cold air. You don't need to worry about polarity. It might be that it is the other way around, nothing connected is cold and 12 v connected is hot, but I believe it is the other way around. Nontheless, if you get cold both ways, and you checked that the control module asks for the correct temperature, replace the valve.

After replacing mine I opened it up and it was mechanically busted inside and wasn't flowing hot coolant to the heater core.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: VSprinter

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I for life of me can't find that silly valve. Not that I am clueless or anything... I have replaced heater inside DEF tank, besides other minor things, but this one is elusive.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gotta leave it to the likes of Dr. Wayne or Dr. A (South Carolina) to find the problem for me.
Besides its not like I have a computer to diagnose it properly and van is running after all.
Just no heat at 58F-84F.
I get burned at 86F.
Thanks all for the help.
Will keep you updated about the issue.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Carry a scanner and save your sanity.

DOUBLE-CHECK YEAR 2013 COVERAGE BEFORE BUYING

iCarsoft MBII in my glovebox (179.00) can even reset transmission limp mode (what I bought it for)

Autel MD802 now going for about same price, it does ALL vehicles as well...not familiar with it but if you want to use on other cars, this is the better choice

I use a MaxiDAS DS708 at home for the additional options e.g. trans adapt and injector coding...although it runs fine doing neither...

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, sorry. I work on way too much stuff to remember specific things, like if sprinters have heater control valves or not.
No worries.
Totally understand you.
I would stay away from Sprinters myself, one just keep following me wherever I go

Reactions: Moot

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Reactions: brokcanadian