2013 Hino 268 (vibration problem)

HariOm

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello, please help my with my current problem with my 2013 Hino 268 26ft bobtail with 200k miles. Currently there is a vibration issue. The whole cabin tends to vibrate. So far I have replaced the kingpin, tie rod ends, new tires, new rims, new front shocks, drive shaft bearings (all bearings) and rear shocks. I’ve had this looked over by many other people and they can’t seem to find a solution. I was wondering if anyone has any sort of explanation, suggestion or solution. Thank you!

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Vibration dampener on the engine is my guess. If it does it while the engine is running only, even with the vehicle is parked. If you increase the engine rpm's when it is parked, does the vibration get worse? Even a broken engine mount could do that.

Reactions: danthewolf00

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Does the vibration follow engine rpm, or does it increase with vehicle speed? Does it have air suspension?

HariOm

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Vibration dampener on the engine is my guess. If it does it while the engine is running only, even with the vehicle is parked. If you increase the engine rpm's when it is parked, does the vibration get worse? Even a broken engine mount could do that.
whether the truck is idle or while I’m driving the vibration is still there. On idle it’s a little light vibration however when I accelerate it vibrates more.

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
whether the truck is idle or while I’m driving the vibration is still there. On idle it’s a little light vibration however when I accelerate it vibrates more.
Sounds like either the harmonic balancer and/or the or a engine mount than. Harmonic balancers do go bad over time. Pittsburgh Power makes and sells a real nice harmonic balancer. I'd give them a call and see if they have one fir that Toyota engine before I spend the money for a stock replacement.

Reactions: danthewolf00

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The balancer is a possibility. I have never seen one go bad, but that doesn't mean they last eternally.

Has the check engine light ever come on with a cylinder contribution code?

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The balancer is a possibility. I have never seen one go bad, but that doesn't mean they last eternally.

Has the check engine light ever come on with a cylinder contribution code?
Around 500k is what Pittsburgh Power strongly recommends replacement of these. Bruce Mallison knows his poop. He can be heard on Kevin Rutherford's XM station channel 146. Tuesdays noon to 2pm. I had the pleasure of him doing performance work on my 6NZ Caterpillar. He really got that engine humming right along..

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Been working on Hinos since 2005. Never seen, or even heard of a balancer going bad. Not to say that it is impossible, just never seen it. Never seen a bad motor mount either. I’d look elsewhere. All J08’s have a decent amount of vibration at 1000 rpm’s. Is it an automatic or manual ?

Reactions: greasytshirt

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I'm with Hino123, never seen either of those go bad. I've seen altered wheelbase trucks with drive line vibrations, and the same on air ride trucks with altered ride height.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is always a first time for anything. I've seen mechanics say the same thing, " oh, I've never heard of that"!! So, there they are, throwing parts on a truck, with no positive results, only to go and try that " I've never heard of that" part, only to discover that was the problem all along....smh..

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Mr Loyalty… how exactly is that you, or harmonic balancer guru Bruce Mallison would come to the conclusion the balancer is faulty? I’m curious to know what the diagnostic steps you would perform for 2013 Hino with a J08-E engine.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mr Loyalty… how exactly is that you, or harmonic balancer guru Bruce Mallison would come to the conclusion the balancer is faulty? I’m curious to know what the diagnostic steps you would perform for 2013 Hino with a J08-E engine.
Well, 1st of all, Bruce Mallison is not only a " harmonic balancer guru", as you are claiming, but an extremely knowledgeable and highly respected mechanic and diesel technician ( as well as his team of old school technicians that has had his hand on a couple of my past trucks with excellent results. The absolute best.

My previous posts in this thread has clearly stated on what indicators would lead one to believe why and how a harmonic balancer could be bad..go back and review.

I would not perform any diagnostic steps on a Hino with a under powered fuel guzzling problematic Toyota engine in it to begin with because I never cared for those trucks to since their introduction. I always thought they were a cheesy cheap truck, that warrants the kind of warranty that they come with. The plethora of problem posts on this section of E.O. supports my feelings towards these trucks.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
So… I went back through your posts. You offered if the engine vibration increases, while parked, then it could be a balancer… or an engine mount. Either way, you should call the harmonic balancer guru Bruce Mallison at Pittsburg power because he knows his poop, even has some sort of radio show. He worked on some tired old cat you had once. He also recommends that at 500k you should not even try to figure out if the balancer is the problem… or get a price on an OEM balancer. Stop everything this instant, and see if they have one you can just throw at that Toyota engine. She’ll be humming in no time. Does that about sum it up?

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
So… I went back through your posts. You offered if the engine vibration increases, while parked, then it could be a balancer… or an engine mount. Either way, you should call the harmonic balancer guru Bruce Mallison at Pittsburg power because he knows his poop, even has some sort of radio show. He worked on some tired old cat you had once. He also recommends that at 500k you should not even try to figure out if the balancer is the problem… or get a price on an OEM balancer. Stop everything this instant, and see if they have one you can just throw at that Toyota engine. She’ll be humming in no time. Does that about sum it up?
Why do you want me to call Bruce about a harmonic balancer on a Hino engine? Grow a set of balls and call him you own Da*m self.

My Cat 6nz engine was far from tired. At 80 mph, it was just getting started, not even breathing heavy,, whereas that Hino was heaving, begging to go and park somewhere...lol..It would drag that POS Hino around like a puppy in a wet paper bag...in reverse..with the parking brakes on, with you fully accelerating, giving that wimpy underpowered TOYota every thing it had...lmao...

Reactions: Hino123

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
A realistic comparison would be Hino vs DT466, MBE900, CAT 3126 or C7 and Cummins ISB.

This forum exists to unravel the mystery around them. Of course people having problems are going to post.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe I failed to mention that Bruce worked on my C15, and my 3126, or C7, (the same thing, basically). And you are correct. A fair comparison would be a medium sized engine, like those unstoppable wet sleeve DT466, 530, and the 360 that I used to have. But my favorite was the 8.3 Cummins.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Be curious to see on this one. The OP never stated if the CEL was on or if it was knocking. Seems like he has replaced multiple suspension/ driveline components…. Yet he states the vibration can be felt … at idle and increases with engine rpm. Curious if the vibrations are still present with the unit in Neutral or clutch released. He also never stated if it was an automatic or manual transmission. Maybe he will update the posting?